Econo Lodge
Comfort Inn Lakeside(Mackinaw City)
US$84
US$82
Baymont Inn & Suites Mackinaw City(Mackinaw City)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$99
Mackinaw Beach and Bay - Inn & Suites(Mackinaw City)(Great Value!)
US$93
Riviera Motel(Mackinaw City)(Great Value!)
US$69
Thunderbird Inn(Mackinaw City)
US$69
US$66
US$90
US$84
Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn(Mackinaw City)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$86
Travelocity
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2006

This was our first experience in the city and we were really looking forward to it, this motel was our biggest disappointment. We made the r.s.v.p. based on the four star rating from the internet, and an ad in our local paper. When we checked in after 3:00pm the room assignment they gave us was still dirty from the previous guests and had empty beer cans everywhere. With no apology for the fact we lugged our bags up to the second floor, we were given another room assignment.
The amenities promised in the web site include a "In room hair dryer, an iron and an ironing board". They are not inside the room at all, you have to request them from the rude staff at the front desk. Also, the "BRAND NEW 2005" water park and "hot breakfast" are not even on motel property. Both are located at an adjancent hotel and you are allowed to "use" the facilities at that hotel, you just have to walk there. The "Park setting" promised on the internet is actually a parking lot surrounded by barb wire fence. There is a playground set that is dirty and appeared run down.
The staff never welcomed us or thanked us one time and were completely unprofessional.
Take our bad experience as good advice, Do not waste your good money on the Econo Lodge, there are lots of other choices in the city and on the island itself. No hotel should be allowed to treat its guests the way we were treated.

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank Luvmarthas
Reviewed 19 July 2006

I feel sorry I didn't check this forum before I booked two nights at that place. I only checked the city's hotel web site and it gave that place a 4-star rating. So I didn't check further since I was in a hurry.

I booked a 3-room charlet one day ahead. When we arrived at around 3:00pm, our room was not ready. We went to the room to take a look at it, the so-called 3-room is even smaller than a standard room in most decent hotels. Each room barely holds one bed. Even worse is all the rooms were full of bad smells. My wife said we should go to find another one, since we had two kids traveling. I went to the front desk and asked to cancel my reservation. But the manager ( a very rude woman ) told me they had this 72-hour cancelation policy. I told her when I booked the room on the phone, I had not been told such a policy. I asked to use their phone to call the Choice Hotel headquater. ( I didn't have my cell phone with me. ) But guess what, the woman wouldn't let me even use their phone. I had to go to another hotel's lobby and called their headquater. The guest service manager there didn't help a lot. After I went back to that place, my room was still not ready. That was 3:30pm. I had to call the headquater again and was told my room was ready. You can guess what happened again. I went back and the room was of course not ready, which they called "being vacumed". I told them their own policy says a guest can check-n at any time after 3:00pm. Now they should let me cancel my reservation. But they still wouldn't. At this point my two kids had been waiting outside their lobby for almost one hour. We decided to go to another hotel no matter what. By the time we left at 4:00pm, the room was still NOT ready.

I will have to deal with them again if they charge (most likely) to my credit card. In that case, I think I will have to file a complaint with the Michigan's attorney general. ( Any experience in dealing with them in this respect? ) One more thing to mention is: don't be fooled by them when you book on the phone. Before you are trapped, they sound very nice indeed.

We actually got two connecting standard rooms in Days Inn for the same rate, which has real bay view. My advice is that if you are traveling with family on weekdays, you don't need to book in advance. They are plenty of rooms in the city and you will get a much better walk-in rate. But that was our first time to the city ...

• Check-in / front desk
4  Thank Johnss
A TripAdvisor Member
Mackinaw City, Michigan
Reviewed 24 June 2006

Short and simple. Employees were rude, the chalet was dirty (including the sheets), and although quoted one rate on check-in the check-out total was about $200.00 extra.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 June 2006

This is just for the "Chalet" rooms. There is a regular hotel there too that we have stayed at before and was fine for a low-cost room. The chalets are not fine though. We booked a two room suite. It was like a storage shed with a bathroom. The bedrooms were barely bigger than the beds and the doors on the rooms were not doors - they were partitions. This is absolutely tiny. We also booked a two room non-suite which was the same condition. They were both dirty and really really run down. This is a small step up from camping (which we love) but were unprepared for it. We had 2 families with small kids so this wasn't a good choice for us. This would be a good choice for someone who just wanted to have a cheap place to crash but it was too nasty to let the babies crawl on the floor, and there were a lot of bugs in the room too. Fortunately we only paid $56 for the suite and $43.20 for the other so it wasn't too bad but just know going into it this isn't anywhere near worth the $108 rate that was posted on the website. The employees were helpful but you have to get past the front desk workers - they were not good at all. I have previously stayed at the Chippewa Motor Lodge also in Mackinaw City for about the same price and would do that again if I wanted the "cabin" experience.

4  Thank GrandRapidsMIJen
A TripAdvisor Member
Iron Mountain, MI
Reviewed 30 May 2006

We stayed at the econo lodge in Mackinaw city in one of the "charming" cabins. Well, if you consider bugs all over, peeling wall paper and a stench that made my daughter have an asthma attack charming, then this place is for you. I asked to check out early and they were going to bill me according to the cancellation policy, but i put up enough of a fuss. the staff members were nice and tried to be helpful, but I can't believe they can advertise the way they do and get away with it.

Stayed: May 2006