“Beach Front pet friendly does not always equate to resort status”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Temperance, Michigan, United States
“Beach Front pet friendly does not always equate to resort status”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel recently. Understandably pet friendly hotels are few and far between so my expectations were adjusted. I have no problem with dated decor, older furniture and carpet but I do draw the line to lack of cleanliness. This bathroom was filthy to the nth degree. A phone call to the front desk prompted a response that I could track down the housekeeping crew to point out the problem. First an foremost a paying guest should never have to do any leg work in order to correct a problem with their room-ever. Upon returning to our room later in the day the problem was corrected only 50%. Shame shame...never again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Cheryl L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Belding, Michigan
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This property looks terrific from the picture. Don't be fooled. This used to be a 'mom and pop' one story motel. Probably 60% of the rooms are the old style rooms, not the 3 story building, The rooms are clean but dated.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 6 September 2013

-When I walked into the room, the bed was amuse, like someone had been laying on it. The bedspread was all wrinkled, not tight and straight and the pillow mushed like someone’s head had been on it. And noticed a paper cup with a cover in the waste basket. I told the front desk about the way I found the bed and she seemed very unconcerned. “I don’t know, don’t know how that could have happened”. The second day the bed was neatly made, nice, tight and crisp like it should be

-The towels looked like they had just been thrown up on the rack, I would think they would be neatly stacked.

-The caulking around the bathtub was loose and mold and mildew in the grout of the tiles around the tub.

A large gap around the door letting cold air seep in.

I went to move a chair and the arm came right off.

Not at all pleased and would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go there.. Keep looking
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank R G

Travellers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Quality Inn, Mackinaw is awesome place to stay without any hazzles and conveniently located on the beach front ..very near to the ferry place and you will not leave your memories of staying here ....People will love the ambience and silence prevailing here...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chelsea, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I’m giving this a ‘terrible’ rating because there isn’t anything lower I can give it.

In March, 2013, for our 25th wedding anniversary trip we booked at room at the Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront Hotel. The confirmation we received stated we were confirmed for “1 King Bed with Jacuzzi on the Lake, Balcony with Island View”. What we received when we checked in was severely disappointing.

The room we were assigned was a ground-floor end unit with an obstructed view and an overwhelming musty smell. The decor and furnishings were out of date and the dresser drawers emitted a bad order, preventing us from storing our clothes in them. There were mystery stains and mildew on the walls (we can provide pictures). And the 'Jacuzzi' was a tacky, pink heart-shaped unit, in a roughly finished enclosure with a large mirror over it. This is something we would have expected to find in a cheap motel; this is far below the Choice Hotel standards we've to come to expect.

To top it all off, the wood framed entry door had obvious signs of prior forced entry, where the door jamb was split and the strike plate was being held on with a single screw. (Again, pictures are available.) This was all held together with only a piece of trim, which made us question the security of this room.

The only thing more disappointing than the condition of this room was the response of the General Manager when we tried to voice our concerns and request a room change. When we first spoke to the General Manager, his demeanor towards us was we were a nuisance. He seemed to check for other room options, but then told us he was fully booked and there was nothing he could do. We asked for his assistance in finding space at another Choice Hotel in the area; his response was that he was too busy and he could not help us with that. There was no offer to send maintenance to the room to address the security issue, nor did he have an interest in coming to the room in person to validate our concerns. When we voiced our concern about the security of the room, and quipped about sharing an online review, the General Manager immediately yelled that he could never satisfy us, never make us happy. He said he was checking us out of our room (involuntarily) and that we had to immediately vacate the premises.

We asked the General Manager to wait until we found another place to go; he, proceeded to threaten us with calling the police. He said we were on private property and that he would have the police arrive within minutes to escort us off the property. He gave no consideration or thought if we could even find another hotel on zero notice, or if we would be sleeping on our car since we were hundreds of miles away from our home...effectively ruining our 25th wedding anniversary celebration.

We found the whole exchange surreal. Coming from the customer service industry ourselves, we never got upset, never raised our voices, we weren't making unreasonable demands, we offered up other options, tried to work with the General Manager to find reasonable alternative solutions and were met with the rudest behavior we've ever experienced. When we asked the General Manager for contact information for his supervisors, he said "I'm the general manager. It stops with me, right here." When pressed for another person for us to speak with, he then instructed us to call the 1-800 number.

What is as offensive as rhe General Manager's reaction is that we paid over $200 for a dismal, below-standard, unsafe room and appalling service. We can't imagine any other circumstances that you would consider threatening guests with a police escort for simply stating concerns appropriate guest services.

Choice Hotels spends millions of dollars on building their brand. They have one man, who calls himself a general manager, who has effectively destroyed that with us, our family and our friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Janine H
Michigan
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times now, once in the summer of 2012, and twice in the summer of 2013. This hotel was built in stages and is a sort of history of motel development. There are some one-story motor court rooms, a two-story motel block, and a four-story motel block that seems to be the most recent.

The first time I came I was put into a motor court room. It was tiny, with a double bed, square table, chairs and a tv armoire crammed into it. It had a sliding door at the back with opened onto a little deck with chairs outdoors. It was not the most secure of situations for a single female traveler. The bathroom dated from about the 1950's or 1960s, except the ceramic tile floor had been replaced with stick-down vinyl tiles, ick. The little fridge did work fine. However, the room didn't have any towels in it!

This trip my husband, my dog and I were booked into the 2 story block and it seemed a bit newer, with exterior stairs that went onto a balcony giving access to the rooms. The balcony was scary - it had outdoor carpet on it but had some very soft spots in it and I expected a structural collapse at any moment. The room was ok, but the bathroom had been very poorly renovated. A tub/shower liner had been inserted but whoever did it failed to handle the connection between the liner and the floor and solved their problem by nailing a strip of some material (corian? plastic?) to the floor next to the tub. This strip was higher than the floor by about 3/4 of an inch. The floor itself was more stick-down tiles and the tub was cracked. The handyman specialist also managed to mount the shower so that the head was only about 5 feet off the tub floor.

Nonetheless, since they do accept dogs and we were a bit rushed on this trip, we booked another night for our return downstate. This time we were put into the four-story block facing the water. This room was the nicest but was still odd. At least the bathroom floor was ceramic tile. The tub liner was a two-part style and the seam was grimy. The sink barely drained. The balcony, while it faced the water and had a decent view, was completely shared with the adjoining room, which is probably nice for a family but is certainly odd when there are strangers next door.

The breakfast was meager; powdered eggs, sausage, gravy, a selection of cereals, breads, bagels, and gross-looking hard-boiled eggs. The pool is inside a small building. The "beachfront" is along the harbor, with dredged sand immediately in front of the rooms, then a strip of swampy grasses to a very stony and grimy "beach" on the water. What's really unpalatable are the blue plastic pipes that run from the hotel down through the grasses. What are they draining? The next-door hotel has some sort of drainage ditch (open) that is draining something into the lake. I wouldn't swim there for any amount of money.

The whole place looks very run-down. The quality of the maintenance work is unacceptable. I've stayed in Soviet hotels that were nicer.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, I would request/demand a room in the 4 story block.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Michigan Center, Michigan
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Rude front desk staff, broken hot tub, dirty rooms, deceitful advertising ( not a sandy beachfront), facilities in disrepair, irate customers at the front desk every day, I asked for the manager to call me when he returned to the hotel...never did (by-the-way; husband and wife), spotty maid service (didn't make the beds), please take shoes or slippers (dirty carpet), we were told we were in the new section...when do they stop calling it the new section...after 20 years?

Plan and simple...they don't care! Move on to the next credit card! Only in it for the money!!! They own at least three hotels. BELIEVE THE REVIEWS!!! Stay at a Mom and Pop hotel. I frequent Mackinaw and this was the worst visit to-date. By-the-way also my first bad review.

Oh yeah, I couldn't get to Trip Advisor review page from their Wifi...hmmm do you think they may have it blocked?

Best part of my stay with them...Sheplers outstanding Shuttle service out of there to the Island. :-)

Room Tip: None here!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family