Stopped around 2:00 and the only room they had that was non-smoking was a King suite. Unfortunately it wasn’t ready so they said come back after 4:00. We arrived back about 5:30. The room was cleaned except no towels. The housekeeper brought them by about 15 minutes later.
The 4th floor is their “club level”. The website states others cannot access this floor. This is not entirely correct. We had to swipe our card key for the 4th floor button in the elevator, however, if we were on the 4th floor waiting to go down, the elevator would come up with others on it. There is only one elevator and it is very slow. The website also states pets less than 30 lbs. are accepted on the first floor. We definitely saw dogs clearly over 30 lbs, and someone stashed a dog on the 4th floor because we heard it barking when we walked by.
In looking around the living room, my first sight was of dozens of smashed mosquitoes on the walls. Not very pleasant. This was the first clue not to open the door to the balcony. We were in the corner room, 4th floor, next to the road facing the bridge. The room had two small balconies that were both covered with bugs. It is impossible to sit out there due to the lights remaining on all the time drawing in hundreds of mosquitoes and other bugs. Apparently, previous guests tried to leave the door open. Even though we were next to the road, it was very quiet at night.
There were no lamps in the living room but extra in the bedroom, so we moved them so we could read. The carpet and furniture appeared new. There was a corner fireplace. The bed linens and bed were quite comfortable. There is a ceiling fan in the bedroom and living room which is very nice to have. The a/c is in the living room as far from the bedroom as possible. But it worked very well, and combined with the fan, the bedroom was very comfortable.
There was a microwave, empty fridge, and a disgusting coffee maker. The inside of the water reservoir on the coffee pot was slimy and dirty with mold/fungus. Needless to say we did not use it.
The bathroom had a very nice showerhead with good pressure and temperature. Towels were a bit discolored but surprisingly thick and soft. The venting for steam works exceptionally well. There is an on-wall hairdryer.
The breakfast area is tight, making it hard to get to things, and avoiding temptation of the mostly bad for you foods is tough. The coffee was actually pretty good. The first floor is the smoking and pet floor, which also makes the location of the breakfast area a bit awkward, as dogs are stopping as they are walked by.
If you are not travelling with children, I would suggest staying on the St. Ignace side. It is much less touristy, overall quieter, and better choices of restaurants.
Having never stayed in a HI Express it is hard to rate this one. I am sure if the carpet and furniture weren't fairly new the rating would have been lower.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open all year! Clean, Comfortable & Affordable! Choose the Holiday Inn Express in Mackinaw City for your next visit. We are close to area attractions, shopping and dining. An easy walk to the shore of the Straits of Mackinac where Lakes Huron & Michigan meet, walk under the Mighty Mackinac Bridge or sit in the park and enjoy the sunset over the water. Large indoor heated pool, sauna, hot tub & fitness room. Free hot breakfast featuring over 25 fresh & delicious items. Seasonal shuttles to casino & ferries. Well-lit interior corridors, elevator & 24-hour desk staff. Every room has a microwave, minifridge & coffee maker.Mackinaw City offers Mill Creek Discovery Park, Colonial Fort Michilimackinac, Old Point Lighthouse, Jack Pine Lumber Jack Show, Mackinaw Crossings Shopping Outlet with Free Light Show, Sunset Boat Cruises, McGulpin Point Lighthouse, International Dark Sky Park Programs, Lighthouse Cruises, Disc Golf, Geocaching & so much more to discover!Our staff anticipates your needs and looks forward to introducing you to the magic of Mackinaw! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Mackinaw City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Mackinaw City Hotel Mackinaw City
- Holiday Inn Mackinaw City
- Mackinaw City Holiday Inn