Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights
US$152
US$130
US$111
TownePlace Suites
All reviewsfront deskawesome customer serviceredroof innroom was cleanawesome staygreat place to staybusiness triparmanimiironconniemaintenance
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed here during my husband's surgery at Beaumont in Royal Oak. The hospital has rates set up with local hotels which is very accommodating and appreciated. I had a large dog and they don't charge a pet fee. Not knowing what to expect of the area (at all) I read up a bit and this hotel had some very good reviews. Being familiar with Red Roof Inns I booked it.

LOCATION:The area is directly across from Oakland Mall and in a moderately quiet business park area. I was alone, with my dog, and they put me on the first floor near the office. I found this to be thoughtful and exactly where I should've been put given that I was alone and booked through Beaumont's program. I didn't even think to ask for a safely located room.

SOLO GUEST? If you stay here alone, as a woman, the expanse of the vacant lots around can be intimidating. As well as the road behind and the back-view of the buildings (Oh, there's an AMC theater!) It's darkly lit, too. There was a Semi parked in front of my room in the empty lot next door the whole time I was there. However, I didn't see anything shady or hear that truck start up once. Being pet-friendly, I didn't hear any other dogs either. The room was very quiet. Being protective of myself, I wouldn't have stayed here without my dog. The area was a bit dark/expansive for my taste. But, if you open carry, have a dog, mace or a taser...you're good! haha (***just if you're a female intimidated by being alone like this)

ROOM: The AC never got 'cold' it just kept the mugginess out of the room. I let them know at the desk. It was an older looking unit, so it might just need a tune up. The bed spread had a burn hole in the center which I didn't bother me. It was big enough that I noticed right away. That's just a case of throwing it out. Really not a big deal with me.
The room smelled fine, not smoky or like another pet had been there. In fact, my dog didn't act like any other pet had been in that room. The room was clean. It's newly remodeled and you can tell. There a room safe. The TV worked just fine (flat screen) and the bed was really comfortable. Lots of pillows!

SERVICE: I didn't want cleaning service since it was just me and I left my dog in the room for bits of time and I didn't want to disturb him or scare the cleaning staff. I expected a 'no service' tag in the room but had to ask the cleaning staff for one. Not sure why that is, but I wasn't too inconvenient. Having them in the room would be better. Ask ahead of time at the desk if you need one.

STAFF: The staff at the desk when I checked in/and out were friendly, courteous and kind to each guest. Free coffee in the morning! :)

ADD CONVENIENCE FACTOR: I asked about a late checkout because we didn't know when my husband would be released yesterday but knew it was after 1:00pm. There isn't a late check out option. Given the number of guests they book who are booking via Beaumont's care services I would consider this as an option for Spouses or family picking up discharged patients. Just an idea as it will give you even more accolades going forward. Some hotels offer this as a courtesy. The situations families are in are at the mercy of the discharge nurses.

GROUNDS: I cleaned up after my dog when I walked him and I noticed how clean the grass was (which was more than enough for him). This is a tell-tale sign you take care of the property and pick up after the pet owners who don't clean up. I'm sure there are many. Parking lot was well kept as were the rest of the grounds, i.e. flower beds, breezeways, sidewalk, etc.

Overall, almost every good review I read was spot on! From what I heard about Oakland Mall in the past and the area, it looks like it's picking up and becoming more friendly to passing travelers! Keep up the good work Red Roof! And ladies, staying alone, bring a dog! Just my thoughts.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Hello!!

I just wanted to say thank you for your feedback and that I am so pleased you had such a good experience with us. I know that surgeries are stressful for both the patient and the patient's family so it makes me very happy to know that we were able to remove an element of stress for you.

As you pointed out, we are in the process of renovating. Thus far, we have painted the rooms and the buildings and installed new carpeting. We are now working on replacing all the bed spreads and the artwork in the rooms. We will also be installing convenience outlets on the nightstands as well. If you stay again (and I hope you do), you will see quite a change. It will be very nice when it is all done.

I hope your husband is doing better and, again, I thank you for you kind words and feedback.

~ Anne

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Another Red Roof Inn that show they are leading the way with economically priced hotels with high quality rooms - they had just finished putting a new carpet in my room and I could see that the rest of the rooms were either being done or had been finished - total quality with a great comfortable bed - the bath looked recently updated (past year or two) and made for enjoyable stay - BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I always like the first floor just convenient to load and unload -
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

I am so very happy that we were able to exceed your expectations. As you mentioned, our goal is to provide our guests with quality rooms at affordable prices. I do hope you will stay with us again soon as we will be continuing to update and improve our property.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

A group of us stayed at this property for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Their customer service is second to none! Our entire group checked in in record time. The girls at the front desk were friendly and efficient. Each and every time that I had any interaction with any of the hotel workers, I was greeted with a friendly hello and smile. Heck, even the general manager, Ann, waved goodbye to us as we were all pulling out of the parking lot at the end of the weekend.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The hotel is located in a safe area of town and the price is right for the room rate. There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance.

My only complaint is that they only give you two towels, where I prefer 4 towels for 2 people.

Our rooms have already been booked for the Dream Cruise next year and we look forward to staying at this very friendly hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

I am so pleased that you had a wonderful experience here at our property. I know I speak for my staff as well as myself when I tell you it was a joy having you here. I truly look forward to you and your group staying again next year.

~Anne

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I quite like Red Roof Inn for their value and my stay at Madison Heights met expectations. My only small criticism is that the wifi signal really is a bit weak. Hopefully this will be looked at and improved at all inns in the near future.

1  Thank patiochair
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am very pleased that we exceeded your expectations. My staff and I work hard at making all of our guests feel like they are their home away from home so it makes me very happy to know that your stay was comfortable and relaxing. Thank you again for the kind words and hopefully we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Checked into the Non-Smoking room I had reserved months before and FLED immediately when I walked in the door. Dense, nauseating smell of tobacco smoke sent me gagging. Gal at the front desk cheerfully put me into another 'smoke-free' room, less awful than the first. It was just about tolerable. The towels and wash clothes stank so badly from old smoke they were almost unusable, so I got fresh ones. I returned home after three nights, unpacked my suitcase and EVERYTHING stank of old smoke, my clothes, my shoes, even my toilet kit. Everything had to be washed down. On the plus side: the room was spacious, the wifi worked, there was a TV, fridge and microwave. The location was great. Easy access to freeeways and restaurants. But the air in the room was foul and nauseating, The receptionist said they are starting to renovate the rooms, but there's no way to enforce the No Smoking rule.

Room Tip: If your room stinks of smoke, insists on another, and another, and another, until they give you one that is smoke-free.
2  Thank MartinInParis

I want to thank you for your review and also apologize for the condition in your room. While you know that it is hard to catch someone in the act of smoking in a nonsmoking room, I do make it a point to charge the $200 fee that we have in place, especially now that our rooms have been freshly carpeted. I understand the health concerns behind having to breathe in second hand smoke and it is a concern I do not take lightly.

If you find yourself in the area again and need accommodations, please feel free to contact me at the hotel and I will be happy to help you out and make sure you do have a smoke free room.