“A new manager so there's hope”

Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Madison Heights
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“A new manager so there's hope”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We spent two nights there and it wasn't good. Barking dogs in the room next door killed the first night's sleep. They were quieter the second night but we woke up to no hot water. Which meant we went to work without showers... Not good. The room was not clean. Once you were in the bathroom with the door closed you could see all the dirt and pieces of paper that were never cleaned up and the tub could have used a mildew remover (and this was the middle of winter). When I talked to the front desk, I was told that they had a new manager as of 6 days before and she was going to get things back in shape. I believed them. I talked to the manager a couple of days later and was impressed with her. She sent me a certificate for a free night which I appreciated. I think the new manager will be a good fit so I will try staying there again and hopefully upgrade my rating.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Susan C, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for your review. We value our guests, and as always want to make sure their stay with us is pleasurable. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you encountered while staying with us. I appreciated you bringing your concerns to my attention, and I was glad to offer you a certificate for your inconvenience. I also want to thank you for having faith in me as the new General Manager, and hope you will stay with us again to experience the changes we are making to better serve our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed yet again at this motel using free night voucher. Superior King room was an excellent choice! Room smelled fresh and came with extra amenities such as microwave, coffee machine, fridge and large desk. However, the carafe in the coffee maker was missing (presumed stolen) and the internet is woefully slow. Checkout was a disappointment as bill could not be printed as no ink in the printer. Had to call the following day to request again the bill to be sent by email. Despite these glitches the stay was excellent and would recommend the Superior King room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while you were here. I can assure you that they were the exception and not the rule. With that being said, I am so very pleased that you had a nice stay. I do appreciate the feedback and my hope is that we will see much more in the future.

Thank you again!
Midland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Was very disapointed in our recent stay here. We stayed Saturday November 16th, 2013 and they gave our key to other people because they had us in the system in a different room. I have been trying to reach the Manager for 3 days now and yet still have not got a call back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah M
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Sarah,

I would first like to apologize for what happened to you while you stayed here and I'm sorry that it took me so long to get back you. I can tell you first hand that it is not the normal practice and that I have had a talk with the GSR that made the mistake. It will never happen again. As I told you on the phone, I plan to use this as a teaching lesson for the GSR who checked you in.
We do take safety very seriously here and I plan on reiterating to my staff just how important it is that they pay attention to what they are doing.

If you have any more questions and concerns, by all means, give me a call.

Thanks so much!!

Anne H.

Travellers are raving about these Madison Heights hotels

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Good Location. Quiet. Clean Rooms. Very Nice Staff, etc..... I would highly recommenced this motel to anybody who wants what is probably the best value motel in the area! Would like to thank all the personnel of this motel for an excellent stay.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness room. But always had great coffee available.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Hello!!

I am so very glad that you had such a wonderful time while you stayed with us. As team, it is our goal to make sure every guest has a comfortable and enjoyable experience. I personally want my guest to feel like they are staying in my home. Again, I am glad your stay was everything you expected to be and I do hope you will come back and see us soon.

Anne - General Manager
LINCOLN PARK
Reviewed 3 September 2013

You think 'red roof' and think nahhhh but this one is very nice and within 4 miles of downtown royal oak...I found everything at hotel very nice and hey are very accommodating...check in early and check out late (1 hr.). The take pets also and do NOT charge a fee or it. In the deluxe king room there is m/w and refrigerator and study area..very nice. will go there again in futue.

Room Tip: get a king deluxe..worth the extra $10 for the fridge and m/w and study area
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Hello!!

Thank you so much for your feedback and your kind words! I am very pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations. I am so glad you had a good stay and I look forward to you staying with us again.

~Anne
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed here during my husband's surgery at Beaumont in Royal Oak. The hospital has rates set up with local hotels which is very accommodating and appreciated. I had a large dog and they don't charge a pet fee. Not knowing what to expect of the area (at all) I read up a bit and this hotel had some very good reviews. Being familiar with Red Roof Inns I booked it.

LOCATION:The area is directly across from Oakland Mall and in a moderately quiet business park area. I was alone, with my dog, and they put me on the first floor near the office. I found this to be thoughtful and exactly where I should've been put given that I was alone and booked through Beaumont's program. I didn't even think to ask for a safely located room.

SOLO GUEST? If you stay here alone, as a woman, the expanse of the vacant lots around can be intimidating. As well as the road behind and the back-view of the buildings (Oh, there's an AMC theater!) It's darkly lit, too. There was a Semi parked in front of my room in the empty lot next door the whole time I was there. However, I didn't see anything shady or hear that truck start up once. Being pet-friendly, I didn't hear any other dogs either. The room was very quiet. Being protective of myself, I wouldn't have stayed here without my dog. The area was a bit dark/expansive for my taste. But, if you open carry, have a dog, mace or a taser...you're good! haha (***just if you're a female intimidated by being alone like this)

ROOM: The AC never got 'cold' it just kept the mugginess out of the room. I let them know at the desk. It was an older looking unit, so it might just need a tune up. The bed spread had a burn hole in the center which I didn't bother me. It was big enough that I noticed right away. That's just a case of throwing it out. Really not a big deal with me.
The room smelled fine, not smoky or like another pet had been there. In fact, my dog didn't act like any other pet had been in that room. The room was clean. It's newly remodeled and you can tell. There a room safe. The TV worked just fine (flat screen) and the bed was really comfortable. Lots of pillows!

SERVICE: I didn't want cleaning service since it was just me and I left my dog in the room for bits of time and I didn't want to disturb him or scare the cleaning staff. I expected a 'no service' tag in the room but had to ask the cleaning staff for one. Not sure why that is, but I wasn't too inconvenient. Having them in the room would be better. Ask ahead of time at the desk if you need one.

STAFF: The staff at the desk when I checked in/and out were friendly, courteous and kind to each guest. Free coffee in the morning! :)

ADD CONVENIENCE FACTOR: I asked about a late checkout because we didn't know when my husband would be released yesterday but knew it was after 1:00pm. There isn't a late check out option. Given the number of guests they book who are booking via Beaumont's care services I would consider this as an option for Spouses or family picking up discharged patients. Just an idea as it will give you even more accolades going forward. Some hotels offer this as a courtesy. The situations families are in are at the mercy of the discharge nurses.

GROUNDS: I cleaned up after my dog when I walked him and I noticed how clean the grass was (which was more than enough for him). This is a tell-tale sign you take care of the property and pick up after the pet owners who don't clean up. I'm sure there are many. Parking lot was well kept as were the rest of the grounds, i.e. flower beds, breezeways, sidewalk, etc.

Overall, almost every good review I read was spot on! From what I heard about Oakland Mall in the past and the area, it looks like it's picking up and becoming more friendly to passing travelers! Keep up the good work Red Roof! And ladies, staying alone, bring a dog! Just my thoughts.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Hello!!

I just wanted to say thank you for your feedback and that I am so pleased you had such a good experience with us. I know that surgeries are stressful for both the patient and the patient's family so it makes me very happy to know that we were able to remove an element of stress for you.

As you pointed out, we are in the process of renovating. Thus far, we have painted the rooms and the buildings and installed new carpeting. We are now working on replacing all the bed spreads and the artwork in the rooms. We will also be installing convenience outlets on the nightstands as well. If you stay again (and I hope you do), you will see quite a change. It will be very nice when it is all done.

I hope your husband is doing better and, again, I thank you for you kind words and feedback.

~ Anne
Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Another Red Roof Inn that show they are leading the way with economically priced hotels with high quality rooms - they had just finished putting a new carpet in my room and I could see that the rest of the rooms were either being done or had been finished - total quality with a great comfortable bed - the bath looked recently updated (past year or two) and made for enjoyable stay - BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I always like the first floor just convenient to load and unload -
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Anne H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
I am so very happy that we were able to exceed your expectations. As you mentioned, our goal is to provide our guests with quality rooms at affordable prices. I do hope you will stay with us again soon as we will be continuing to update and improve our property.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison Heights
Hampton Inn Detroit / Madison Heights / South Troy
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison Heights Detroit Area
Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights
Extended Stay America - Detroit ...
#5 of 9 in Madison Heights
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit North - Troy
Red Roof Inn Detroit Troy
Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights
Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madis...
#3 of 9 in Madison Heights

Been to Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights? Share your experiences!