Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Rodeway Inn(Madison Heights)
View Hotel
All reviewsfull kitchenmurphy bedroom was cleanwifi signalan extended stayup to datepull out sofastayed nightsroad noisefresh fruitfree breakfasttroyloftsuitepropertyfireplacesuburb
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My family and I stayed at three different rooms in three hotels in Detroit in July and August. First we stayed one night at Embassy suites close to Detroit Metro airport, then Residence Inn by Marriott Troy in Madison Heights and finally Fairfield Inn and Suites in Farmington Hills
Something that was unknown to me before travelling to Detroit was that there are perhaps tens of districts and small cities in Detroit. Trip advisor does not help for those of us Europeans who do not know this and search for hotels in “Detroit” only. There are also many hotels from the same chain in each county making it all very confusing.
We stayed for one night at Embassy suites before renting a car and going to Toronto. My info from Embassy suites is therefore very limited. The hotel was old and at 4 am suddenly the fire alarm went off. No explanations to the reason and you can guess how we felt travelling from Sweden. The hotel pool is both indoor and connected to outdoor. The water in the pool was cold and not cleaned. Breakfast was good and with multiple choices. You can have your omelet made for you. Rooms were old. I loved the small garden as it was the first time in my life I saw a humming bird close to me. Our room faced ventilations and was really noisy. This hotel has free shuttles to the airport. The shuttles for all hotels are close and call the hotel after you passed through all controls because it juts takes the driver 10 minutes to come to the airport.
After coming back from Toronto we stayed at Residence Inn for 13 nights. We had booked this hotel via Hotels.com for three weeks and though we booked with possibility of cancellation we misunderstood that we can even shorten our visit. This was due to problem with hotels.com info. This hotel is old and in desperate need of renovation. The breakfast is ok but the breakfast lady during weekdays makes very watery waffle batter and stops you from using the machine. The housekeeping is the worse I have seen in US. Despite the house manager whose name I have forgotten promised to check our two rooms, they were not cleaned by any standards. Everyday shampoos or something was missing and we had to go and ask for it. The pool is outside and cold and in contrast to the other two hotels there is no Jacuzzi. There is however a gas grill and basket field. No gyms. The price for laundry is higher than Fairfield Inn. The TVs are not working. Nine of the channels were having problems. Having a small kid made all the difference and therefore we moved. We talked several times to the manager and he could not fix it. At the end we asked for discount and he discounted one night which we thought was two low, basically meaning 3% for the two rooms we had rented. We therefore moved to Fairfield where the hotel was better and 30 dollars per night cheaper! This hotel is the only one with kitchen.
We checked several other hotels. One was Fairfield Inn which was much closer to where we wanted to go. Sylvia at the reception was extremely friendly and helpful. The water temperature in the pool was very pleasant, the type you just can get into without needing to warm up. There is jacuzzi and good breakfast with few more choices though not like Embassy suites. No free dinner on some nights like Residence Inn. Clean and quite rooms. This hotel is not available on hotels.com. Enough breakfast place unlike Residence Inn.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank screenname060309
ResidenceInnMHGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am deeply saddened by your experience at my hotel. It is our goal to provide exceptional service, and I apologize that you did not experience that. You had mentioned that our hotel is in need of renovations, we had a complete rooms renovation in 2010 and have some other areas in the works right now. Our breakfast person try's to give an added touch of friendliness by offering to make waffles for the guests, if someone wants to make their own we certainly will not stop them. At Residence Inn, we provide different types of housekeeping because of the length of stay for our guests, sometimes it is not known by the guests and they expect a full deep cleaning every day. Our pool is heated, however, if it was a cold night the night before it takes some time to get back up to temperature. We do have a fitness center in the hotel, right above the breakfast area, I am sorry that you were not aware of it and did not get to utilize it during your stay. The TV's were having problems during your stay but we did get the issue resolved, unfortunately, it was towards the end of your stay. I hope that if you are ever in the area again, you will give us another try. Safe travels and best wishes, Justin Morandini.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed here on our way home from Chicago. Decently priced. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was okay. Quiet spot. More of a condo set up. Nice outdoors to sit. The pool area was very clean. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to Review our hotel. We are very happy that you had a pleasant stay with us. We hope to see you again whenever your travels bring you back to the Troy/Madison Heights Area.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We are frequent Marriott guests, especially Residence Inns as they cater to our toddler family very well. We, however, were disappointed in this location. It is an older property, but the rates reflect a more modern location. We stayed in a bi-level room right by the highway. The highway noise was very distracting at night. The hotel wasn't horrible, but not what we expected for the money. We would have expected a location on par with the Residence Inn Moline Quad Cities which we visit every year (same type of town).

The front desk staff was very nice, however. I didn't bring up my dismay, as this is really out of their control. If I had an issue with something specific in the room, etc., I would have spoke up.

Room Tip: Stay away from anything near building 12. It is right by the highway and very noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
ResidenceInnMHGM, Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for comments. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. Although our hotel is an older property type, we have done many things to update and keep it looking new. Our rooms were renovated and we have made recent improvements to our exterior as well. We appreciate you noticing our friendly service, as it is something we pride ourselves on. Don't forget our room rates include daily full hot and cold breakfast buffet and free wireless internet and full kitchens in the rooms - which is perfect for traveling families.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. Especially the breakfast lady that would not let anyone make a waffle but herself. Clean and nice stay. Very cold during my trip, but the room was nice and warm. Easy to use thermostat, nice TV and good channel selection.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
ResidenceInnMHGM, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel. We take pride in our customer service and we are glad that you noticed. We will be sure to pass along your positive feedback to our staff. If you are back in the area, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

I rented a studio 4 New Years eve and the room was ok but the parking is horrible its hard 2 find a spot so u have 2 park in the Hamptons parking lot,the ice machine in the freezer took 12 hours to work so we didnt have any ice until the next morning that night it made 4 pieces of ice @ a time not good sense we had liquor.Then my favorite no smoking @ all in non of the rooms so everytime we wanted 2 smoke we had 2 go outside.The room was nice but I wont be coming back

• Stayed: December 2012