“It's only good if you're coming off a camping trip...”

Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Madison Heights
Reviewed 25 March 2010

After negotiating a long-term stay with the very friendly sales office, I checked in for a 3-week tour. The room looks fine at first, but the little things quickly add up. It is probably a fine step up from the lesser chains nearby, but it is an embarrassment to the Marriott name and the Residence Inn brand. The room was dirty, old, and felt like it had never been updated.

The 24" CRT TV is ridiculously under-classed for this brand of hotel. The bed squeaked at the slightest movement, and the linens were extremely cheap. I was awakened from 4 until my 7:00 alarm by every other room's alarm or shower. I was told that it was updated 2 years ago, but it is clear that only the kitchen and bathroom cabinets were replaced. The fixtures are still as cheap and old as when it was built. The sliding door to the paint-peeling patio was broken and required great dexterity and strength to operate. The closets have rusted square clothes rods, and the showerhead is only useful for those under 5'7".

It is only a decent hotel if you have a very low standard of living. When I travel, I expect my hotel to be at least as nice as my home. Typically, Marriott and Residence Inn provide that level of quality, but they grossly missed the bar in this property.
I checked out after only one night of very little sleep. The front desk barely apologized that I did not find it to my liking, and was of no use in finding a more suitable Marriott property. I was told the owner's other property a few miles away was even worse.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ferriswitt

Reviewed 18 March 2010

Residence Inn has everything that you want in a home. It has a kitchen in room with utensils, which you can use for cooking your own food. It was a great relaxation for me, as I wanted to have Indian veg food and I could cook myself. The room was like a house :-) two floors, with TV at each floor. Free internet. Overall the best place for me to stay, while in US. I will look for similar facilities, whenever I go out of country.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I used to like staying at this hotel because of the convenient location, with easy access to all parts of the city. The rooms are Ok, a little old and some are quite noisy due to being right next to the freeway. The staff is super friendly, well above average.

However, during my last (and final) stay there, my car was broken into while parked overnight at the hotel lot, literally 15 ft from my room. The thieves broke the window and dismantled the dashboard to take the Nav system. Needless to say, I was shocked to have this happen to me at a "Marriott" hotel and for the management just to shrug their shoulders and say "not our responsibility".

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Comfortable, clean, friendly!!! That IS what you will get for your money. And I might add honesty. I had lost a piece of jewlery in my room, and the housekeeping staff turned it in to the front desk. I have read other reviews of this hotel, and my stay seems to have been different. The only suggestion I have is that the dinning area needs to be larger! Otherwise great place! Oh, and a very clean pool!! Thanks Brian!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2009

On the surface, this seemed like it would be a great place to stay for a wedding attended by extended family from around the country, considering price, location and the Marriott name. However, that was unfortunately not the case.

This hotel is laid out like a condo commmunity with the second floor rooms requiring a walk up 2 flights of stairs with luggage. A bit of a pain.

The beds were hard and lumpy - very uncomfortable.

While some members of the staff were very nice, others were indifferent. This became evident in 2 separate instances. First, it had been advertised and told to members of our party that breakfast closed at 9:00. In fact, there was a change in policy effective3 June 1 in which breakfast closed at 8:30. When 15 members of our party showed up at about 8:45 for breakfast, it had already been broken down and the staff was not particularly pleasant or accommodating in addressing it with us. When we asked for food we could take up to our rooms to eat, it seemed that they were out of just about everything and couldn't (or wouldn't) accommodate us.

Secondly, some members of our party were overcharged for their rooms (72.00 vs. 69.99). Admittedly, not a large difference, but there is an issue of principal here. In our case, we had booked 2 rooms at the same time, over the phone, talking with a live person and they charged us the2 different rates on the 2 different rooms. No difference in the rooms, bu the way. Wouldn't budge on adjusting the room rate.

Bottom line? This stay and treatment is not what I would have ever expected from a Marriott property and it makes me question whether I would stay in other Marriott properties.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2008

I stayed here for a week on business. I had the studio suite. I loved the full kitchen with dishwasher, and an ice maker in the freezer. It came fully furnished with flatware, pots and pans, and mixing bowls. They even provided an empty pitcher so that I could fill it with juice to have in my room. The full hot breakfast was great! I had eggs one day, waffles another, oatmeal yet another, plus they had the usual bagels, cereal, and fruit.
The staff was very helpful in everything, answered any questions I had and even directed me to some local shopping. They knew me by name by the time I left! Something else that I had not experienced before was the evening snack that they had on a few nights. Cheese and crackers, nachos, pop, and veggie tray were available in the lobby these days. It was a very nice stay,and I will stay with Marriott from now on!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 March 2008

We stayed for one night at the Residence Inn in Madison Height after finding out about a special weekend discount rate.

All I can say is WOW! What a great deal. Residence Inn has rooms with mini-living rooms and small kitchens as well. In addition, we had a fireplace in ours, for which the hotel gave us a log at no charge so we could use the fireplace. Very romantic and cozy.

The beds were comfortable. Loved having the sink and mirror outside the shower room, so I could get ready while my spouse was in the shower. The room was spotless and even included complimentary microwave popcorn for us. The complimentary hot breakfast was a great way to start the day.

We will definitely stay there again when we are in the area.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison Heights
Hampton Inn Detroit / Madison Heights / South Troy
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison Heights Detroit Area
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Detroit Troy
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit North - Troy
Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy
Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights
Extended Stay America - Detroit ...
#4 of 9 in Madison Heights

Been to Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights? Share your experiences!