“Poor costumer service.”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Madison Heights
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I never write reviews but had to on this one. I'm in a different hotel almost 300 times a year. With my job I travel so much. I can honestly say I will never stay at this or an extended stay ever again. The girl at the front desk when I checked in was great. Very kind and helpful. Checking out on the other hand was a guy that I never physicaly seen. I called down about 4am and asked if he would ring me a taxi thinking that he would know the most reliable taxi service in the area. Well he was very rude and said why can't you call your own taxi. Never been talked to like that. Then I get down to the lobby about 4:15am I need a receipt for my company and there is no one to be found. I even called the front desk from the house phone across the lobby nothing. I stayed there 11/4/12 checked out on 11/5/12. I suggest that you get rid of this kid/punk. The rooms was another story. Dirty nasty would not let my dog stay there.

• Stayed: November 2012
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

I received your review and wanted to take the time to personally respond. I was so disappointed to hear of the service you received when attempting to check out. I agree with you that this behavior and general lack of service is unacceptable. Please be assured that as a result of your feedback, I have met with management and staff to ensure this is not repeated. Regardless of the hour, we strive to provide our guests with excellent service. We failed in your case and for that I sincerely apologize. I am also so sorry to hear that there were cleanliness issues in your room. We are addressing this as well. If you have any additional questions or concerns, I do hope you will reach out to us. We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you are in need of a hotel. Thank you again.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

The value was very good, but you do get what you pay for. The room was a tad shabby, but the people were most friendly and helpful. The quarters available for laundry, the breakfast snacks and the free newspapers on Sundays were a nice touch.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. It's great to hear the staff was friendly and helpful. I apologize about any issues you experienced with our rooms. We are in the middle of making a few upgrades including new mattresses, bedding, lighting and new flat screen TVs in the rooms. I do hope you will give our hotel another try if you are ever in the Madison Heights area again.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I am so happy I decided to stay here. I was here for several months and would definitely stay here again! Yvette, the manager is awesome as well as all the people working at the front desk. The room was clean, bed was comfortable and it suited my needs perfectly. During my stay they installed a brand new flat screen tv in the room and also started serving breakfast that you can "grab and go".

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm glad you enjoyed our recent upgraded bedding and our new breakfast offering. We appreciate guest feedback like yours. Thank you for choosing our hotel in Madison Heights. We hope you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Stayed here for 2months, for work. Great staff, nice room!! Will come back!
The manager has made tons of upgrades! The front desk ladies Brittany and Danielle are the best.
The improvements are very nice. The manager makes you feel welcome and wanted.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Thank you for your glowing review. It's so rewarding to hear our guests share their feedback on our changes. Thank you for noticing and sharing your comments with us. We are very happy you like the changes. I'm happy to hear that our staff took great care of you. We appreciate your business very much!

Reviewed 26 September 2012

I have stayed here since relocating to the Detroit market for my work. The entire stay has been excellent, even through the different management. As long as I am in the Detroit area, I will continue to stay here at ESA Madison Heights@

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Sarah L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Thank you very much for your posting. It was great to read that you are enjoying your stay with us! Thank you for your business. Please let us know if you should need anything at all.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Recently, my family and I had renovations done to our home and had to choose a hotel that would accommodate all of us. We had the pleasure of staying at the Extended Stay America Hotel - Madison Heights located on Stephenson Hwy. Last time I stayed there it was under a different manager. This time around it was under new management, and I must admit I was completely impressed with the work that Yvette Thomas has done. From the moment we walked in; the staff made us feel completely comfortable. The staff really goes up and beyond to make sure that you are totally comfortable and satisfy. I felt safe at the hotel and even the other patrons were nice.
One thing that really impressed me was when my son’s father came out to the hotel and he was going to take him out, they actually took my son and his father down to my parents room to make sure my son’s father was his father. Which means not only were they looking out for my safety but my child’s safety as well. Now that is impressive! We stayed here for three weeks and it didn’t even feel like we had really left home.
The rooms were really spacious and the kitchenettes were nice with a full refrigerator, stove top and microwave. If you enjoy cooking your own food; there is a Value Center Marketplace in walking distance or a 2 to 3 minute drive. If you are not one to cook they have room service that you can go online or call to order. As well as many restaurants that were either in walking distance or you could drive to, or even catch the bus. The only bad thing was the channel line up wasn’t too great and my parents couldn’t see the Tiger Games. However, that is only a minor detail. If I had to choose another hotel to do an extended stay I sure would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Asked for a room with DVD hook up and got a room with DVD hook up on t.v.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you very much for your glowing review of your stay at our Extended Stay America – Madison Heights. It is always so wonderful to hear such great feedback like yours. I am happy you enjoyed your staff and I am happy our staff took such great care of you. It’s always rewarding when our guests feel the positive impact from our commitment to great guest service. Thank you for choosing our hotel and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

I found the room at this hotel at a great price online. It had everything my boyfriend and I were looking for in a room: queen-size bed, kitchenette area w/ refrigerator and microwave, etc. However, little did we know, it didn't have the most BASIC thing that we were looking for. . .
Hint #1 - NEVER BOOK THROUGH PRICELINE! No matter how deceiving the prices on Priceline may be, their cancellation policy sucks! I will go back to this in a second . . .meanwhile, after we checked in, we started to eat dinner. About 45 minutes into eating dinner, he started to hook up his PlayStation 3 to the tv so that we could watch some DVDs that we rented. Well, come to find out, this hotel has purposefully de-programmed channels 2, 3, and 4 so that you couldn't have access to watch a DVD! We tried to go through the menu options and the only options available were for sleep timer and closed caption. They set the channels so that there was no input source to watch a DVD, complete b.s.!! Neither one of us has had an experience where you could NOT hook up a DVD player to the tv to watch a movie. We were so upset that we left. Upon leaving, the girl at the front desk mentioned that because we were in the "room for an 1 hour", there was nothing they could do. And, of course the manager was off until Monday! In the meantime, she told us that because we booked through Priceline, they would have to give us a refund, but according to their b.s. cancellation policy, they wouldn't give us a refund either. So, we decided to return back to the room and give it another shot. About 5 hours into staying in the room - mind you, it's about 1:30 in the morning, I look over, and we see a BED BUG. My boyfriend captured it and put it in a bottle so we could show the staff on-site. She asked if we wanted to move to another room but we were so disgusted that we left for the second time! We went over to Econo Lodge across the street and did not have any problems at all over there.
Anyways, so not only did we have a TERRIBLE experience, but there were bed bugs and we STILL haven't gotten our money back. Not from the hotel or not even from Priceline, and no one seems to care. I will never stay at this hotel again nor will I ever use Priceline. The hotel tried to tell us that they are doing upgrades and that will solve the problem of the dvd player; however, we weren't staying during the upgrades so that defeated the entire purpose of the stay, nor does it cover the bed bug situation. The woman on-staff told us to bring the bedbug back when the manager is there, ugh. It seems as if you can have a bad experience at a hotel and request a refund and no one cares or wants to solve the problem!

Room Tip: My only tip: good luck finding a room with no bed bugs!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I want to sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. That is most definitely not the experience we want our guests to have. I would suggest you reach out to Priceline to express your concerns with their cancellation, refund and payment policy. Because you booked with a third party like Priceline, you did not pay the hotel directly so we unfortunately cannot refund your money. I also wanted to let you know that we have a very extensive preventative process for all pests, including bed bugs. I am very sorry you found an insect in your room and I sincerely apologize that we did not handle that to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback as it only helps us improve our service for future guests like yourself.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison Heights
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison Heights Detroit Area
Hampton Inn Detroit / Madison Heights / South Troy
Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Detroit Troy
Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy
Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights

Been to Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights? Share your experiences!