“Historic Manistee Michigan”
Review of The Ramsdell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manistee
The Ramsdell Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Manistee
Plymouth, Michigan
“Historic Manistee Michigan”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Situated one mile from Lake Michigan. Beautiful town with friendly people. Watch the freighters come through the channel from Lake Michigan. First weekend in December is the Victorian Sleighbell Parade. Four Clydesdale horses pull a 25 ft Christmas tree down River Street with the lighting of the tree and fireworks at the end of the route. We stayed at the Ramsdell Inn and this old bank has been turned into a very quaint hotel. They have a Jingle Mingle in the lobby on Saturday night. Danny, the manager, makes your stay very pleasant. Must put your name in early for a reservation as there is usually a long waiting list. Would highly recommend Manistee for a vacation whether it be winter or summer.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Sheryl H H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This Historic Hotel is really neat. However the air conditioning system needs to be upgraded. The rooms were way to warm and stuffy. They offered fans but they did not do the job. We ended up opening a window which helped but then we had to deal with road noise. The hotel is very cool and has tons of potential. I would recommend and I will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mona1963
Maryland
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Have to say the room was super, clean and nice amenities and up-to-date, even tho in a historic hotel. But lobby is not staffed good hours, so you have to call for anything after 5 or before 10 a.m. And as it IS in a historic hotel, we would have liked to hang out and explore the lobby more, but it wasn't an option. As others have said, room was hot and since it's spacious, never really cooled down much. Also, Internet very spotty, frustrating as it comes and goes so you better save your work every few seconds. Loved the windows and the corner nook. Good location. Riverwalk very pretty, right across the street. Eat at Bluefish, no contest, for the food and the atmosphere. Price of room also kind of high we felt. Person who checked us in was rather indifferent. Proprietor when we called, very accommodating as others have said too.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CatLoverColorado
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I thought it would be nice to stay in a historic boutique hotel for a short weekend getaway and the Ramsdell Inn had that type of appeal. I thought the rooms were a bit overpriced for an off-season stay, but hey, it's an "historic" hotel, right? I got in to town around 9 pm and found that the desk isn't staffed after 10 pm. I paid my reservation and was shown the staircase (no elevator) to my room. I went to eat down the street. I parked in a public lot on the next block and lugged my bags down the street and up the stairs to the fourth floor. The room looked nice, but it was HOT. I opened the window the 4" that it allowed me to and turned the thermostat all the way down. I tried connecting to the WiFi, but the signal was too weak. I would have asked for another room, but the desk was closed. I grabbed a fan I saw in a cubby hole and stayed the night. The room never really cooled down to where it was comfortable. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jack C
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I know for many people that go away they prefer to disconnect, as we sometimes do as well, but not on this trip. I planned a genealogy research trip to Manistee and having a connection was very important to me. It is stated on their website they have wireless internet, so I didn’t think to question it. Also important was staying downtown so I could walk to the court house, library and historical society. My husband came along for the ride, but has no interest in genealogy, so while I was off researching for my planned day and a half, he needed to get some work done online, and venture out to wherever for a while.

Shortly after checking into the Ramsdel Inn late on a Sunday we tried to connect. After an hour or so of trying I called the offsite manager to see if I was doing something wrong. She stated they were having problems in our room after connecting something downstairs a few weeks ago. She said she would try to move us to another room where we might be able to connect. Later she called back and said the Inn was full, so we could not be moved. She did graciously offer to move us to another hotel, which I felt was above and beyond, but that option didn’t really work at all due to fact I needed to be in walking distance to downtown. I planned on being at the courthouse when they opened first thing Monday morning, and didn‘t want to have my husband stranded all day in a hotel room. She said she would have the assistant manager contact me the next morning and would try to move us to a different room the next day.

I went down to the lobby abt 8am to talk to the asst. manager, and to have a coffee and muffin, before heading out for the full day of research, only to find the lobby doesn’t open until 10am on weekdays. Jeez… So I walked down to Goodys for some coffee and a muffin(excellent)

I never heard back from asst. Manager. On my way down in the morning I tried to connect from the 3rd floor, and couldn’t connect there either, so after the first day of research we decided to stay elsewhere in Manistee for our 2nd night.

Pros: I loved our room! The TJ Ramsdell Suite. It is beautifully decorated, large, had a very comfortable bed. The hotel is in a perfect location if you need to be downtown Manistee. The manager went above and beyond to try and solve our problem, and she was even out of town.

Cons: (besides the connection issues) Couldn’t get the temp above 65 in the room; quite small bathroom, and the water stained ceiling tiles in the bathroom(gross) should be replaced. The floors and doors are very creaky. I get up VERY early.. In just walking from the bedroom to the sitting area, the noise woke my husband, and I’m sure it was worse below us. Not noticeable during the day.. The assistant manager should have followed through the next day.

So if wireless is important, you might want to check if they have their problems fixed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarciaB10
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 22 August 2013

One of the best experiences in a hotel that I've had in a long time. Super clean, very tastefully decorated and updated with lovely bedding. I loved the historic nature of the building. We hadn't stayed in Manistee before and thought we'd give it a try. We'll be back! The Ramsdell Inn is in a great location downtown and we enjoyed looking out the very large windows in our room at the goings-on on the street below. We didn't eat at T.J.'s because there was a band. Had a great time grabbing cocktails on the back deck at River Street Station and then a delicious meal on the deck at the Boathouse Grill -- both in easy walking distance from the Ramsdell. Really fantastic one-night trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn M
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We have stayed multiple times in the suites on the third and fourth floors. Nice little table and chairs overlooking the city on three sides. The woodwork and large windows remind visitors of the 1920s and 30s, but it is updated with amenities like WiFi. The staff is always great! The restaurant is very popular, also. Located right downtown, it is perfect for walking along the river. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who can climb stairs. There is no elevator.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank WggArtist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manistee
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manistee
#1 of 10 in Manistee
Riverside Motel & Marina
Riverside Motel & Marina
#9 of 10 in Manistee

Been to The Ramsdell Inn? Share your experiences!