“Romantic Weekend”
Review of The Ramsdell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manistee
The Ramsdell Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Manistee
Okemos, MI
“Romantic Weekend”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

My boyfriend surprised me with a stay at the Ramsdell for the weekend of Valentine's Day. It was a beautiful historic inn. The staff was helpful and very attentive. I would definitely recommend this to other travelers. Great deals in the off season (1/2 price!) but probably worth the money for the downtown location in the Summer.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
leroy
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Husband surprised me w/a birthday getaway. We stayed in the Harbor Suite on the 3rd floor. Gorgeous room, exceptionally clean, comfy, and cozy. Cutest cushioned nook for dining & drinking champagn. Includes fireplace, robes, & huge king sized bed. We'd love to live there! We didn't use them, but includes DVD & CD player, plus fridge. Exceptional continental breakfast includes yogurt, fruit, juice, muffins, several types of tea, coffee, newspaper. TJ's Pub located in the hotel serves excellent food w/wide variety of drinks. All staff friendly & helpful. Julie is a wonderful hostess! I've exhausted superlatives about the inn and our stay. Can't say enough good things about the inn. We WILL return!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rychrlim
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed at the Ramsdell in the Morton room right after the rates dropped so we got the room for 99.00. WiFi with my Windows 7 laptop worked perfectly on the 3rd floor. Beautiful staircases and very unique lobby. This used to be a bank. The lobby closes early so you have to use a side door to enter and exit off the street. It is about 6 or 7 steps up to the lobby, and then two flights of stairs to the third floor and another set of stairs to the fourth floor. No elevator. No designated parking for the hotel so you have to park on the street whereever you can find a spot. This was no problem in October but might be harder during the peak season.

Room was very clean and bathroom was modern and comfortable. And if you are looking for a place to eat, got to the Bungalow Inn. Very popular spot for the locals and my wife and I enjoyed this place very much. Burgers for 7 bucks and fish fry for 8 bucks. Can't beat that.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Haleyboy
White Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I traveled to Manistee with my young adult daughter to canoe a couple of beautiful rivers in the Manistee area. After reading the review on Trip Advisor I booked two rooms at the Ramsdell Inn, the Canfield and the Dunham which as it turned out happened to be adjoining rooms on the fourth (top) floor. The rooms were fantastic ! My daughter had the Canfield and loved it with the gas fireplace. I took the Dunham which is slightly smaller but just as cozy. The front desk service is friendly and helpful. This is a great place to stay in Manistee. The only thing I was worried about when I booked was their website does not list high speed internet service as being available but it turns out they have a free high speed wireless internet connection available thoughout the Inn. The Ramsdell is a little more expensive than some of the other motels in the area but I think it is definitely worth it. This is a great place to stay in Manistee for the travelor looking for a boutique hotel experience . I highly recommend it. Note, the Ramsdell has no elevator service so if that is a problem book a room on a lower floor.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank PeteMi
Northville, MI
Reviewed 13 October 2008

My wife and I just spent a night at the Ramsdell, we loved the place. We took advantage of the off-season rate of $99. The room we stayed in was incredible (the Harbor Suite), everything was to our liking, and we would definity recommend the Ramsdell to our firends.

• Liked — The room and the nuilding
  • Disliked — the stairs
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MIMike94
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 6 August 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ramsdell, and we could not have asked for more. It was a fantastic experience all the way around. I read the reviews here before we stayed, and I cannot imagine why these guests would have so many complaints! Do not let these deter you! We stayed in the Ramsdell Suite, so I cannot vouch for the rest of the rooms. If you do decide to stay at the Ramsdell, it is absolutely worth the cost to stay in one of the two suites. My husband and I have had the opportunity to travel extensively and stay in many wonderful hotels; however, we have never stayed in a room as nice as the Ramsdell Suite.
When we arrived, the staff was extremely friendly and happy to check us in early. They provided us with much helpful information and even wine glasses and an opener when we returned in the afternoon with a bottle of wine to enjoy in our sitting room. The lobby is open until 8 PM, and all guests can come and go as they please with their key anytime. If the staff needs to be contacted, the numbers are provided in the room for after 8 PM. The entire Inn is beautiful and meticulously cared for. I have never seen a room and restroom so clean!! The bed was incredibly comfortable. I did not have to bring a hairdryer, which was nice to pack less, since one was provided in the room. We were able to up the windows to a 1/4 of the way open to catch a wonderful breeze, which was relaxing! There are not screens on the windows, but we did not notice many "intruders". Our favorite room memory is reading in the sitting room with the breezing coming through and relaxing music playing from the radio that we moved from beside the bed into the sitting room. Yes, traffic noise is audible from the room, but to us it was not at all bothersome. It certainly is very quiet at night, and we had no trouble sleeping. There is a small drawbridge across from the hotel. We did hear it go up several times, but it is not an irritating noise. It is much like the sound of a train crossing signal, and it was faint. In the morning, we brought breakfast up to the room. I noted that another guest complained that a full breakfast was not offered. I do not see how this could be expected considering that the Inn is not equipped to do so, and the breakfast items of muffins and other danishes and such were plentiful and satisfying, along with coffee and tea to choose from (which by the way are available in the lobby anytime). If you are looking for a full breakfast, there is a little shop called Goodys that sells this fare down the street that we really loved. It is true that there is not an elevator; however, it is only twenty-something steps up to the first floor of rooms, and only twenty or thirty more up to the top floor where we stayed. It would not be ideal for those who have difficulty with steps, but it certainly is not the climb that some have made it out to be. But if steps are a problem for you, then it is important to note the steps. Also, we had two small steps in our room when you enter and go down from the small hallway.
The Ramsdell Suite overlooks the downtown area with water in the distance. The beach is only a 15 minute walk down the riverwalk, and it could not be nicer! There are many wonderful shops and restaurants. Be sure to try the pub under the Ramsdell, which is also run by the Inn. There are at least three restaurants that overlook the riverwalk that were wonderful, as well as other wonderful little shops that sell books, special culinary items, local items, cigars, candles, artwork, etc. If you are looking for a one to two night Michigan getaway, you have found a fantastic place to visit. Be sure to stay here, and be sure to book the Ramsdell Suite.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ElizabethandKeith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 25 July 2007

My wife and I are just returning from a 2 night stay at the Ramsdell. We had one of the smaller rooms, the Morton. We are so glad that we found this place. The Inn is right in the middle of everything in quiet downtown Manistee. All you have to do is step out the door and you are at your desintation. Everything is within walking distance. There is the riverwalk to Lake Michigan, downtown shopping, and dining. We can't wait to go back. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were very clean and well appointed.

If you want to stay somewhere cheap, go hit the Microtel. Also, this is an Inn and not a Hotel. If you want value and conveience, the Ramsdell is the place. There is no better place to stay in the area!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Elevator
  • Stayed July 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Jimmy_n_Jen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manistee
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manistee
#12 of 17 in Ludington
Super 8 Manistee
Super 8 Manistee
#1 of 10 in Manistee

Been to The Ramsdell Inn? Share your experiences!