“Stop for Lunch”
Review of Gogebic Lodge

Gogebic Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marenisco
Gogebic Lodge
UP Michigan
“Stop for Lunch”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

First I have to start with the fact that there were only 3 tables (including ours) filled for lunch. The "service" was horrible. We had to stand and request a beer, the pint was only filled 3/4 up with 1 inch of foam. It took nearly an hour for a burger and wrap sandwich which the food was overpriced and mediocre at best. We had to stand and request another poorly poured beer because our "busy" waitress did not actually go to the table. In fact, the two other tables had to go to the bar to pay their bills because the waitress didn't go to them. I travel quite a bit and this was by far the WORST lunch experience I have ever had and the only time in my adult life that I did not leave a tip...stay away, it isn't worth your hard earned money.

Room Tip: Don't bother, find another location.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank frozen4fromtheUP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Torrington, Wyoming
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My husband and I were staying in the area and chose the Lodge for dinner since they serve walleye on their fish fry night. The walleye comes deep fried or broiled and was very good. I chose the potato pancakse as one of my sides and they, too, were very good.

The soup and salad bar comes with the dinner and although the salad bar was pretty lackluster, the fish chowder was excellent!

Our server was polite and professional and we did not encounter any foul language from the bar area, even though it was very crowded, with what appeared to be "locals". The price for this all-you-can-eat walleye dinner was only $10.95. I have no problem with that!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Went their to eat and have drinks for a meeting. The bartender was very rude the entire night, had to wait forever for drinks, pizza would have been good except too much sauce. Some friends, my fiance' and myself were there together, along with other folks for Walleys for tomorrow meeting. Just our group alone spent nearly $100 and the place was not even packed. Well when the bill arrived, they added a room charge tax (we did not stat the night) and then charged 3% on top of that for a debit card charge. My friend was out of line by getting upset and yelling at the so called bartender. Well the bartender started yelling back at her and then called my friend the B word, and said don't come back here. How very unprofessional! I can't beleive she still has a job, she didn't even try to make the customer feel better, but instead made matters worse. The owner's son just sat there doing nothing, except drink. I have been a waitress,bartender, and in hospitality management and would never get away with this rudeness! I am also making a complaint to the BBB.

Room Tip: Do not stop here!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Sue L
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The management including the staff,bartenders etc condone profanity and four letter words in the dining area, in which is supposed to be a family resort. I experienced a patrons use of profanity, condoned by the gogebic lodge staff while a family with four young children were present close by to dine.

Room Tip: I would not bring a family to this resort.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Leonard S
gogebiclodge, Public Relations at Gogebic Lodge, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
We would like to apologize for the bad behavior and language you encountered while you were visiting our establishment. We have had a change in staff since then and we are making customer service our #1 priority. We hope to see you again sometime.
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stopped during our snowmobile trip for lunch and a few drinks Jan 21st, 2012. The service we encountered was the worst we have seen on the snowmobile trails. It was far from packed, a number of open tables and bar seats.

We ordered lunch which included soup - the waitress dropped off something completely different than we had ordered. We advised her that we had ordered a different soup and we were told we are out of that, if you don't want this I'll take it back and take if off your bill.?!? The rest of the food was OK, but not great. We hadn't even started eating when the waitress was back telling us she was now off and we need to close out our tab right now so she could leave. Fine... But we never had another waitress check on us for the next 20 minutes while we finished our food.

There are just too many options in the area for better food and better service. I would recommend you try somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank BBWI
Minneapolis
Reviewed 28 January 2012

January 2012 seven of us stopped here for dinner while snowmobiling, we didn't lodge here. The waitress took almost 20 minutes before even bothering to talk to us, then she had no idea what was on tap. It took another 20 minutes to get our drinks, another 10 minutes to take our food order, and we waited almost an hour for our food after that. We almost walked out but we were hungry and there are not a lot of restaurants in the area. My chicken sandwich was okay but someone ordered a steak that was just tiny and looked like a burnt hockey puck! I would never eat here again. Friends who have been here previous years say this place has really downhill, they couldn't believe what a dump it has become. Don't waste your time here!! Head over to Antonio's on the north side of Lake Gogebic, the food is good and service is decent, with friendly cheerful staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank TravelerChick
We are very sorry for the lack of service you received when you were at our establishment. We would like you to know that the people on our staff has changed and that we are making customer service our #1 Priority.
Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We've stayed at Gogebic Lodge a couple of times and have had a fabulous time both times. We discovered the Lodge while snowmobiling. The trails are incredible and the people you meet everywhere you go are warm, welcoming, and fun. This is particularly true at Gogebic Lodge!

The two times we have stayed there were in the fall and the fall colors are stunning. The area around Gogebic Lake is beautiful and is also a short drive to Lake Superior and Lake of the Clouds. The observation points at Lake of the Clouds is approximately 500 feet above the lake, making the view breath-taking. You can also see Lake Superior from the same place.

Accommodations at Gogebic Lodge are good. The smaller cabins are somewhat rustic, but comfortable. The larger ones are more modern and very comfortable. The food is great! The people that work there and the owner (Don) are fantasic people!! We have always felt welcome and have even been invited to local parties.

I wish we were a little closer because we would probably go more often. I would highly recommend this place to anybody!!

Room Tip: The two bedroom cabins are more expensive, but nicer than the one bedroom cabins.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Been to Gogebic Lodge? Share your experiences!