“Never again...”

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Marquette
Menomonie, Wisconsin
“Never again...”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The best part about this hotel was the front desk staff. They were very polite. I assumed that "lakefront view" was going to be much better than it was being on the first floor of the old building (the one on the right). Upon walking into the room, I was immediately upset. The rooms did not smell great, the furniture was old, the tv had a nice green/purple tint to everything, and it was not clean. I'm not quite sure what was worse though, the fact that the curtains didn't cover the windows or that it was apparent my door had been previously kicked in. Being off of a major highway I would expect a bit more safety measures than that!!!

1 Thank 514js

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is the third time that my wife and I have stayed at this Econo Lodge. I reviewed it 2 years ago and gave it a 4. I honestly don't understand the negative reviews because that has not been our experience. The quality of the room may depend on which part of the motel you are in. It has three wings. One is single story and looks to be older. It extends north and the rooms front Lake Superior. We have not stayed in one of these rooms. The second wing runs from the office perpendicular to the lake and highway. That is where we stayed when I reviewed this motel in 2012. That rooms was large, but in need of refurbishing. Last year and this year we stayed in the wing that is south of the office. It has two stories and the upper rooms have a small balcony. The view is excellent even with US 41 in between you and the lake. Since I'm handicapped we stayed on the first floor. The room had been completely remodeled since last year and was very pleasant and large. The beds were comfortable and the pillows are full size - not the "pellets" that seem to be popular with a lot of chain motels. We liked it enough to extend our stay. It had a larger size mini-fridge and a microwave as well as two queen size beds. Internet service is good - I'm taking an online college course and there was no problem streaming the video lectures. The room and bath were very clean and housekeeping was solid throughout the stay. The front desk staff have always been friendly and helpful to us and efficient. The breakfast is satisfactory. There are sausage patties and pressed scrambled eggs that you can heat up. To my surprise they were pretty good. The rest of the breakfast is a typical "continental" spread. The location is convenient to the lake shore walking path and about 2 miles from downtown Marquette, its harbor, and some very nice restaurants.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room in the south wing.
1 Thank Ml W
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you are looking for a quiet place with a good view of Lake Superior then you should consider this place. The staff is friendly and helpful, our room was large and clean. The bathroom is as large as an average residential bathroom. My only criticism is that the heater took a long time to heat the room, and I don't like sleeping on a motel bed that is directly on front of the HVAC, so I turned off the unit just before bed and by morning the room was cold then though it was the middle of June.

The lodge is not new and has seen some changes and remodels, but the present management keeps it up to date and it makes for a restful place to stop. Be sure and get there early enough so that you can enjoy the view and walking path by Lake Superior, it's name is most appropriate. The rate was on the high side, but so were the other hotels that I checked in the area.

I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the one story building which is probably the original structure. I don't know what...
1 Thank Miriam S
Oakland, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We only stayed one night (group of five bird watchers traveling through to Paradise for a birding trip). Loved the view of Lake Superior outside our window. With 3 girls in one room, we loved the fact that the bathroom had a separate vanity and sink area so that we could all get ready without having to wait on whoever was in the actual bathroom. We had to get on the road early in the morning (5am) and the breakfast area off the lobby wasn't going to be open when we got up. The front desk bent over backwards and provided us with all kinds of breakfast food to take to our room so we'd have it the next morning. Rooms had small refrigerators, but plenty big enough for our needs. We had a roll away bed in our room, since there were 3 in our room. The mattress probably needed replacing as it sunk in the middle. But other than that, it was a perfect room and would stay there again if ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Kodiak, Alaska
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful view of Lake Superior out front. Sits just outside the Marquette Prison which is a little weird.. The room was decent. They staff was helpful. Beds were comfortable. Decent breakfast. Kinda out of the way with nothing really in walking distance.

One complaint. No heater or heat lamp in the bathroom. The room has a wall unit but the bathroom is on the opposite side of the room. Not a deal breaker but makes showers a little cold.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Terrible customer service. I goofed with my online reservation putting in wrong month but they refused to refund my $120+ even though I made new reservation for correct month at over $280. They said it was there policy although Choice Hotels Guest Relations staff said they could see it was an honest mistake but it was the property managers decision. Anyway, I should have read the other bad reviews on this place before making my lodging decision.

Room Tip: I strongly advise not staying here.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ronjmb

Travellers are raving about these Marquette hotels

JACKSON
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This hotel is older and could use some updating, but our room was clean and efficient. We stayed in the back building which had less highway noise. It was clean and comfortable which was all we needed for this stay. We had a refrigerator and a microwave. The only drawback was that the ice machine was in the front building so you had to walk across the parking lot. The breakfast was minimal, so don't expect to fill up here for breakfast. We stayed off season so the rate was decent. The staff was helpful and friendly so overall we had a great stay.

Room Tip: The rear building sits off the main road a bit and seems to have less highway noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple