“Good experience for the price”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Marquette
Michigan
“Good experience for the price”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We just spent a few days here. Small disclaimer--I didn't pay for the room, a family member booked 3 for us and two other family members over the holiday.

In any case, despite the age of the hotel, the room was clean and quiet. Staff is really friendly--they checked on the discounted fitness center fee across the road (Anytime Fitness--also very nice!). This isn't a typical chain like Marriott--I felt better treated here than at most Marriott's I've been too (not that they were bad--just very "corporate").

The continental breakfast is adequate, but nothing special. Hot cocoa would be a good addition to the offerings. The location is great for Marquette-area activities.

The bed was about as good as you get anywhere, which in my case means it was a bit soft and uncomfortable, but I know most people don't like a 'firm' mattress.

TV reception was excellent--I stayed at a Hilton in Philly earlier in the year and didn't have half as good reception!

Pool was closed due to a broken heater. The hot tub worked--but the switch to turn it on is in the reception area--a little inconvenient. Management might want to look into changing that.

My one suggestion and it's a big one (and why I'm giving only 3 stars) --the hotel really needs to update the facility somehow. Even a fresh coat of paint would be better than nothing. Like I said, the room was clean--but walls have been chipped and it's peeling around the shower area. Also, the sink outside of the toilet/shower area is a little odd (in our room anyhow), but not a huge deal.It would be more convenient to have the sink in the rest of the bathroom area.

I think this place has changed owners/names a few times over the past several years. It would be really great if the corporate office or owner could find the money to really put some updated touches toward it. Maybe a warmer neutral tone on the walls would heIp.

Also, I didn't see that there are either smoke alarms in the rooms or sprinklers--not sure what the law is on that. I know it's common or required in newer facilities.

Overall, it's fine--at best, you'll have a friendly staff and a quiet and clean as it can be currently place to stay. At worst--chipped walls and just an overall "drab" feel to it.

Room Tip: Grocery store across the road, also a McDonalds and Togos Sub Shop (a local joint--really great subs...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Reviewed 23 December 2011

From the time I called to book my stay until our request for a late checkout, the staff was friendly and accommadating. I have a larger family and we were welcomed with open arms. We will be staying a this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Harrisonburg
Reviewed 27 November 2011

drove to the UP and encountered a sudden snow/sleat storm. Needed a place to settle in for the night.
Found this place and it was allright for the price. Nothing fancy, but the room was large and the rate was very inexpensive, considering it was 'deer season.'

Pool was great and the continental bkfst more that adequate.

Would stay here again. Very nice for a budget inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the inn are quieter... away from the traffic light and road noise.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
abvimarquette, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us at Americas Best Value Inn. The owners and staff value your how you feel about our hotel because we work hard to provide each guest with an experience that combines genuine value with hospitality. We do hope to see you again if you are traveling to the Marquette area.
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I don't know why travelers have such high expectations of a motel! It is not the motel's fault if someone is awake when you want to go to bed. The motel staff cannot determine whether you want a soft or a hard bed and then move the right bed in for you. For $50 a night, you cannot expect the accommodations to be 5-star! This was an inexpensive motel with very nice people that was clean and had more of the amenities than you would expect -- indoor pool, hot tub, breakfast with waffles and cereal and juice for free, large televisions, free wi-fi. Our room was huge, and our bathroom was tiny, but the sink is outside the bathroom, so there was plenty of room. The furniture might have been a little out of date, but it was in good shape and clean. We had a little fridge and microwave, a desk and a table and we were very comfortable. We had a great time!

Only a few complaints so that maybe the owners can make adjustments -- there was no coke machine (only Pepsi), and that wouldn't take dollar bills, so I had to go out and get a cola. There were no donuts or bagels on the breakfast bar (only raisin bread), and that would have been a nice addition for a low cost. Also, although I didn't use the hot tub, my girls said the water was too hot for comfort.

Thank you for making our stay comfortable!

Room Tip: Instead of two queen beds, think of choosing the one with two full beds and a twin, like we did. We...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank czechmrk123
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I had recently stayed at the America's Best Value Inn while attending a few conferences in the UP and surrounding areas. The hotel room and staff was great and the price was more than affordable for the accommodations given. It was in an area which was conveniently placed around useful stores and shops for ones traveling needs. Accidentally, I had left my laptop charger at the hotel and was worried I would have to purchase another. After calling the hotel to try to recover it the woman on the phone asked me to hold while she looked.. She was able to find it and put it in the mail the very next day! Sure enough I had it in the mail a few days later and could not be happier with my experience with this hotel. The staff was wonderful and has definitely earned my future business anytime I head to the Marquette area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Stayed for two nights, clean rooms, friendly staff,pool and hottub were great!

• Stayed October 2011
Florida
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I booked this hotel through Priceline and it came out to $46 after tax for one night. I pulled into the parking lot and was hesitant to even check in as the grounds are not maintained, whatsoever! After reminding myself that the $46 was not refundable, I decided to checkin. The lady that checked me in was extremely friendly. She is the reason I gave it two starts instead of one. She gave me room 120 - which is by the vending machines, and is the closest to the front office.

The room was ok. Some dust left in corners, on microwave, etc. The beds were a little too hard. One comforter had a red stain on it - not blood, but probably ketchup or soda. The internet worked fine. I could of overlooked these things.

I fall asleep very easily and don't complain about too many noises. But after returning to my room at about 9:00pm, I noticed a banging coming from the ceiling every 30-45 seconds. It sounded as if someone was stomping on the floor. I wrote it off as hot water pipes, or something along those lines causing it. It was very noticeable, and would've kept me up, but I was hoping it would soon stop. Then at about 11:00p I started hearing (presumably intoxicated) women yelling, screaming, and running down the halls. I assume they were going back and forth to the pool area that was supposed to be closed at 10:00p. So I laid in bed staring at the ceiling trying to figure out whether to leave or not. My solution was to turn the a/c on to drown out the random pipes banging, and the females running. I was finally able to fall asleep at about 2:30 in the morning, once the screaming subsided, and I was exhausted so much that the pipes banging were able to be drowned out by the a/c. I awoke in the morning, absolutely freezing - but I was able to get 4.5 hours of sleep I guess.

Never again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Marquette hotels