“This is the best you can do??”

Holiday Inn Marquette
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Marquette
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our stay at the Holiday Inn was one of the worst I have ever stayed at. My wife and I were on vacation doing an upper peninsula 9 day fall color tour and booked a night at the Holiday Inn. When we checked in we were never informed the pool area was closed until we showed up at the pool entrance with our suits on looking forward to the whirlpool and saw the sign on the door. So our night went downhill from there. As we got ready for bed the room started to get a little cold. So time to fire up the heater but guess what. The furnace worked as well as the pool. No heat, normally I would have called the front desk for another room, but it was late and had no desire to pack up and move. Then to top it off I was awakened by the sound of a very loud lawn tractor cutting the grass at 7am (my time) and I was on the top floor, must have been even louder below. If I was working it would be a non issue as I would have been up and long gone by then but when on vacation it would be nice to sleep a little later. I did complain to the front desk when I checked out but just got a half hearted sorry. I really would have expected more from a premium brand like Holiday Inn, I realize when you prepay your options are limited, but perhaps a breakfast voucher would have been nice. When staying at a hotel there are certain things you just take for granted such as a clean room in a hotel that works and they did not make the grade.

Room Tip: Check to make sure the heater works
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would truly like to discuss your comments with you. I have sent you a personal email. If you would like to contact me directly, please call me at 906-315-4224. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Marquette

Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Clean and relatively spacious rooms. Friendly and attentive staff on check in. Only draw "back" - bed very firm and pillows are even firmer. A/C very loud. Location on US 41 convenient to downtown, ski hill, NMU but a little tricky... Hint turn by the Wendy's.

Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette. I am sorry that you found our mattresses and pillows too firm to your liking. We do our best to order a product that we believe will appeal to all guests. If you were unaware, we do offer a choice of a firm or soft pillows. I will pass along your comments regarding our staff. They try very hard to ensure each guest has a clean, comfortable stay, while providing genuine caring service. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong, Director of Sales

Reviewed 26 September 2013

All the hotel services were great, the front desk, breakfast and dinner was very good. The hostess
And wait staff were excellent !! For being on a main road it was very quite and lots of room to walk
My dog.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Robert S
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michigan. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our staff. Customer service is very important to our team, and I am glad that they exceeded your expectations. Our hotel is perfect for guests traveling with their canine children. We have so much green space and wooded area which is perfect for your pet. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong, Director of Sales

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I loved pulling up to this property and seeing that they've kept the place as it must have been for the past decades. While the building is old, even the hallways are updated and you sense they have given this place some TLC. I was exhausted from a long trip so I was very pleased when I opened the door to my room to find nice updates while also seeing hints of the past. The tiles in the bath were much more interesting and attractive than a shower insert or other cheap changes to make the place look modern. My room was clean, fresh, and room service delivered a lovely meal at 9:00 that night. Breakfast in the morning was standard but hot and delicious. The staff was very friendly and efficient. I love it when they anticipate the needs of their guests and, after serving my coffee, offered me a cup I could take with me as well. Thank you!

Room Tip: The rooms that face the back woods are beautiful, quiet, and have a view that brings peace.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank EnjoyTravelAlways
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michigan. I am so happy that you appreciate the renovations that were completed in 2012. I too think the hotel looks great. I will pass along your comments regarding our employees. They truly do care about our guests and are very genuine and caring. I hope that when you are back in Marquette you will once again choose to stay with us. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

First time in Marquette and needed a place to say. On that end it delivered. The hotel is older and the very little we saw of it was probably in need of some updates. The lobby was redone but the guest room that we stayed in was definitely small and dated. Air conditioner did not work properly (or at all) however I did not report it so did not give them the opportunity to make it right. There was a funky smell in the hallway near the ice machine however or room was fine. The pool was large and hottub was hot. The lounge and attached bar was large and the bartender was quick and friendly. Did not have breakfast so can't vouch for the food or dining services. As part of our being gold members we got one free drink per room every evening at the bar and one free breakfast per room in the dining area. Only used one of the drink coupons.

The only real complaint that I have is that for the location and age/condition of the guest rooms the cost is a bit too much for what you get. Additionally it is not within walking distance of downtown which is a bit of a bummer. If I am ever in Marquette again I would consider staying here again unless I could find a similar deal closer to the downtown area. I would probably not recommend to others as I was not overly impressed and feel that there would be better choices from a choice and location standpoint in the Marquette area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We certainly appreciate you choosing our hotel for your first time visit to the area. In 2012, we completed a $2 million dollar renovation to ensure that the hotel remains bright and cheerful for our guests. I apologize that we did not meet your renovation expectations in the guest rooms area. I am very interested in the room that you occupied as I would certainly like to have the a/c unit checked for trouble. If you would so kind as to call me directly, I would love to get a little bit more information from you. My phone number is 906-315-4224. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Old rooms, old carpet, and very smelly. I was too busy to change rooms, but room 415 must have been a smoking room (if not currently- it was back in the day and the smell has lingered). The room smells of stale cigarette smoke, even fluffing my pillow gave off additional stale smoke smell. Disgusting! I was in town on business and I had a smoke stench from my hotel room.are you kidding me! When I returned home I quickly had to wash my clothing and sent my dresses to the cleaners. This place is in need of an overhaul or tear down. Yes, I could have moved rooms but I shouldn't have too? I didn't get back to the hotel until late and was way to tired to move. I also made the assumption (by the looks of the place) that it wouldn't matter which room I was in I would have a smelly room. The bathroom had a strong pee order, even while taking a shower you couldn't get the smell to leave. It's hard to believe that they can keep the Holiday Inn name.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any rooms that have been updated in the last 20 years.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay. With the our recent $2 million dollar renovation completed, I was disheartened to learn that we did not meet your expectations. I had our executive housekeeper go into the room and it was obvious that a previous customer had smoked in this room. We certainly appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Our executive housekeeper has taken corrective action to ensure that the room is thoroughly cleaned to eliminate the smoke odor. Although we are a smoke free hotel, we do have instances where a guest will smoke in the room and it is not reported. Our goal is always to provide the best service and accommodations for our guests. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me at 906-315-4224. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Just an average hotel with a nice pool, it's quite large for a hotel pool. Rooms were sufficient and only decently cleaned. Good breakfast with the room rental at the restaurant. We stayed here during Labor Day weekend for the marquette marathon.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michigan. I agree that our pool is very nice. It's very spacious and is the largest one in the area. I will pass along your comments to our chef. I too agree that the breakfasts here are very good. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales.