“Disappointed with breakfast”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Marshall
Central Florida, Florida
“Disappointed with breakfast”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel on March 28, 2012. The hotel itself was a typical HIE, clean and nicely decorated. I especially liked the decor in the breakfast room. The staff was helpful and professional. Check in was simple and quick. We were assigned a King room with a jacuzzi. The jacuzzi tub was quite large. We did not use it so I can't comment on the jets in it. Didn't really like all of the large mirrors surrounding the tub, just don't want to see myself in the mirrors everywhere I am in the room. I must say that I've never stayed in an HIE where I could hear the people walking in the room above us. I don't know if they were heavy walkers or if there wasn't enough insulation between the floors, but we could hear them everytime they walked across their room. The indoor swimming pool was closed. We were told it was only temporary while a handicap lift was being installed. As for the breakfast, I do like the pancake machines the HIE have now. Makes it very easy to get one of my favorite breakfast items. This is the first time we've been at an HIE that didn't provide any meat item. We were told that since they had sausage gravy that day, there would be no bacon or sausage, so if you don't like sausage gravy, you're out of luck, no meat to go with your pancakes.When we filled up our vehicle with gas at the station out front, we received a coupon for 10% off of a purchase at the Denny's next door.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FLgal8
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marshall, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
FLgal8,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you were not satisfied with the breakfast service received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We visit the area about once a year to see friends. Stayed at the HIE Marshall for the second time March 16-18, 2012. Rooms are nice and clean. We also used the fitness area and pool and they were well maintained. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful at check in and check out. Breakfast area is nice. Not excellent, but it's free and you can find everything you need for a filling breakfast. The hotel is conveniently located and is average to above average. I would recommend a stay here if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Siko
Amherst
Reviewed 19 February 2012

A little substandard from my point of view. I was upgraded to a jacuzzi King. Not that interested in the jacuzzi. Hotel was clean and staff were great. The desk chair was hard as a brick (regular chair, not the desk type). The heating unit is one that once it gets to the set temperature, then it starts blowing cool air before it cuts off. This type of unit seems to be in several hotels. Don't know why, but I would rather have unit that cuts off when temp is attained.
Not much available food wise, but the Denny's Diner next door has an excellent value on the Senior Menu.

Room Tip: My room was facing the Interstate, but didn't really notice any noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Indiana, United States
Reviewed 13 February 2012

During a recent trip to visit family, we decided to stay in this hotel, because of the space the "Kids Suite" offered. I was assured by the gentleman on the phone that this pricey room would be perfect for our family, which consisted of myself, another adult female, and children ages 16, 15, 13, and 1. What an enormous disappointment this room was!

First of all, what should have been a 2.5 hour drive was turned into 6 hours because of a major snow storm. We finally arrived just before midnight. I double checked to make sure a crib was in the room, and was assured it was. This was important, as we had been stuck in a car for 6 hours, with a 1 year old who had already had enough. We get to the room, and the first thing we notice is that the heat had never been turned on. It was absolutely FREEZING in our room! We couldn't even take our coats off for our first 20 minutes in there, and being this late at night, with this many kids, that was a HUGE inconvenience. Second thing we noticed....no crib.

We finally get squared away in the room, and as I look around, I realize we are all still kind of on top of each other. There was no "quiet" place to get away. Even when I tried to sleep, I could still hear the noise of the kids television, as it was on just the other side of the wall as the bed. And that wall didn't even go all the way to the ceiling, so the noise just traveled over. Their bunk beds were extremely noisy, so you could hear every move they made. The only lights in the kids rooms were attached to the wall beside the bunk beds, and the one on the bottom didn't work. There were also random speakers on the wall that we never did figure out. There is no door to the kids area either. The kids ended up putting a blanket over the archway to get a little more privacy.

As far as the adult bed, it was super comfortable, and so were the pillows. However, there was only a VERY SMALL wall, in the middle of the room, for privacy. All light and noise flowed into the adult area. The other television was right outside of this area, so it too caused a lot of noise. It was nice though, that I was able to turn it towards my bed to watch television late at night. This meant, though, that the people sleeping on the pull out sofa were kept awake. A separate television in the adult room would have been a good idea, so as not to keep the others awake.

After getting settled into the room on night one, we went to the lobby to get something "warm" to drink. The only thing offered was coffee and tea, but no hot water for the tea. The juice machine was turned off, so the kids couldn't even get that. We have stayed at Hampton Inns in the past, and they always at least offer hot cocoa 24 hours for those who don't want or can't have coffee.
When we went down for breakfast in the morning, hot cocoa was being offered.

There was plenty of cabinet space in the room, but we didn't use it as we were only there 2 nights. The only way to reach any outlets for laptops, phone chargers, etc. in the adult room was to pull out a night stand. The extra outlet in the floor next to the sofa was smashed in, so unusable. The reading lamp mounted on the wall beside the sofa could only be turned on while also turning on the VERY bright main room light, totally deleting the purpose of a "reading lamp." The "black out" curtains on the windows were great, because we were kept up most the night, so it allowed us to sleep in.

When entering the bathroom, I noticed the door lock didn't work. The tub mat was rolled up on the back of the toilet, a move I didn't think was very sanitary. Also, the drain tub is broken, and we had to wedge a razor under it to get it to even stand up while taking a shower.

On our second night here, we tried to use the pool, but it was so crowded it was hard to enjoy. We decided to try and wait out the noise and chaos, and get in anyway. The chlorine was so strong, it was burning our skin, and had to get out. It was then misery as we each waited our turns to get in and rinse off our skin. We never went back into the pool. The people in the room above us were so loud that we could hear every noise they made. The first night, we were kept up until 4AM. This was a combination of the crib mixup, the cold room, and the noise above us and each other. The second night we were up until about 2AM, and it was only due to the noise above us, as well as all the noise from each other, due to no "privacy" in the suite.

All in all, I would not pay this much money to stay in this room again. I would certainly be willing to try the hotel again, but would get two attached rooms before wasting the money on this "suite". It was a huge disappointment. I really feel mislead by the person who helped me decide on what kind of room to get. Also, after reading reviews and researching pictures/videos of other Holiday Inn Express Kids Suites in other locations, I just really feel like this hotel got it VERY wrong. Save yourself the money and book adjoining rooms!

Room Tip: Avoid kids suite and book 2 adjoining rooms!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Il
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Average HIE, but there were many little things that could be avoided. When we came back to the hotel at about 11 PM there was no parking anywhere in the hotel lot. When house keeping cleaned our room they did not leave any clean towels, bath mat or new soap. We stayed for two days but our room keys expired after the first day and we had to go down and get new keys. We we checked out they couldn't find our bill. They need to pay more attention to detail.
Only some of the rooms have refrigerators and micro waves.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank chicagoretired
Carbondale, Illinois
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Attended a wedding in Marshall and family spent the weekend here. Some of us had reservations here and others at the next door Hampton Inn. The entire Holiday Inn Exp hotel is exceptionally clean, pool is very nice, staff is very frendly, and they even went the extra mile in allowing us an early check-in (before 4pm) due to wedding events starting at 430pm (unlike the next door Hampton Inn who said "absolutely no early check-in under any circumstances"). When we needed an extra rooms for more family arriving that day before check-in time, and they were booked up- they called me on my cell when they had a cancellation and made sure we could get them checked in early in order to get to our wedding events in time. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. And best of all- their room rate was half compared to the next door Hampton Inn.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed here many nights while working out of town. Decent choice if you need to stay in town. Rooms are good, no flat screens but mini fridge and micro is nice. Free continental and limited hot breakfast. Pool and workout area are small if these are important to you. Had special rates so can't comment on price. Hampton next door is a good choice too.

• Stayed July 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshall
Hampton Inn Marshall
#6 of 19 in Battle Creek
McCamly Plaza Hotel
McCamly Plaza Hotel
#10 of 19 in Battle Creek

Been to Holiday Inn Express Marshall? Share your experiences!