“Food Poisoning and AWFUL management. STAY AWAY”
Review of Sands Restaurant

Sands Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Mears
Cuisines: American
Description: Located close to Silver Lake Dunes
Description: Located close to Silver Lake Dunes
East Lansing, Michigan
“Food Poisoning and AWFUL management. STAY AWAY”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm not the type of person to write a review about anything. Good or bad. Any bad experience I have I just take it as a learning experience and know where not to go back to.

My wife and I met two of our friends for a relaxing 2 day mini vacation. We arrived a bit late so ended up having dinner later in the evening so not too much was open close by our hotel. There were a few other places we would have rather gone to but this one was convenient so we decided to just try it. Everyone except my wife got fried food. It was pretty gross. Definitely right out of the frozen packaging. My friend said his fish was OK. My wife had the club sandwich. We wandered around town for a bit and called it a night. 6am my wife was up throwing up. She was completely laid out for the rest of our vacation. To keep it non graphic, she had flu like symptoms with NO flu. If anyone has had food poisoning you know how awful it is.

I stopped into the Sands to inform management of the situation. I spoke with Jeff who seemed to be either an owner or kitchen manager. I told him of what had happened. Let him know I wasn't looking for anything but just wanted to bring to his attention so he could take the appropriate action so no one else would get sick. That's it. Nothing more. He seemed to think I had another agenda and kept repeating that there is no way it is food poisoning and pawned it off as something else that she may have eaten earlier in the day. Well she worked all day and only had a bag of chips until that dinner. It was very obvious what was wrong with her. I gave him my information and left.

About 3 hours later I received a call at our hotel from the manager asking how she was. I said she was terrible. He asked me if I would take her to the hospital. I said no as we do not have insurance right now and that would be something we couldn't afford. Plus I've had food poisoning before and did not need to go to the hospital. You have to wait it out unfortunately. Then he says, "get some balls and take her to the hospital". Never in my life have I been talked to like that from a business. Needless to say I wasn't too friendly to him and then demanded my money back. He said OK so I stopped over to the restaurant. He came out of the side door on the main street and handed me cash. Didn't want anyone else to see I assume. Offered a half apology and asked me where I was from. I let him know that he ruined our vacation and turned to leave. As I did I heard him chuckle under his breath. I knew I needed to get away from him so I left.

I was completely baffled by the complete disrespect and nastiness. On top of accusations that I was lying when I didn't even ask for anything at all in the beginning. Only until he began getting nasty did I start to lose it. I'm sure he will get on here and respond saying we were in the wrong somehow. Not sure how that would be possible as I have 3 other people to back me up.

STAY AWAY. There are many more places to eat that you will not get sick. Plus the health department seems to visit there every other day. Something must be up.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank dallav1

Fremont, Nebraska
“chicken was awesome”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We eat there every August, Chicken is amazing. Ribs are tremendous, Kids loved the Stromboli. Always do the Dunes then supper at the Sands. We will be there again this august.

• Visited August 2013
East Lansing, Michigan, Usa
“Noon and not serving lunch”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We showed up at noon for lunch and they weren't serving it because there was a rush on the breakfast buffet. When I didn't order because I didn't want breakfast the server didn't even offer an apologize or an option. We also to remind the server to bring out several parts of or order and the OJ my husband ordered never made it too the table but made it on the bill. There were several other places coming into Mears that looked better, next time I'd go for one of them before going back here. As for the food... It appeared to be all pre-processed off the truck, nothing fresh. Would have loved to tried there "famous ribs" but that isn't going to happen.

• Visited July 2014
Detroit, Michigan
“Great service, great ribs!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great service, great ribs! Tender, falling off the bone, Fred Flintstone brontosaurus size ribs! I would go here again.

Visited July 2014
“We won't be back...”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We came here on our way home from Silver Lake. The service was great and the food was okay. The menu is small and didn't really have much to choose from. The place needs updated and their was a wait for the bathroom the whole time we were there. We wished we would have went somewhere else.