“Pleasant and restful stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mecosta
Bluegill Lake Campground
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Pleasant and restful stay”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We just stayed at Bluegill Lake Family Campground. 8 of us total in 4 of the sites. Weather cooperated for us most of the time. Owners: Paul and Nancy were very helpful with all of us. There store has supplies for everything that you havent thought of or missed in your packing. We found the campground to be a very beautiful area with many things to keep you occupied. Wash rooms were very clean and easy to walk to. Prices were very reasonalbe and afforable for any persons budget. Thank you, for your accomodations, I personally will want to comeback and inform of other family and friends.

1 Thank Jackie R

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
grand ledge
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Found this place in michigan campground directory book and thought we would try it out. I went with my wife, 2 kids, and dog. My parents went as well with their trailer. Now, I dont typically read or believe most of what is said in these reviews, but in case, it's true. 1st-Campground is very nice. Clean, level, shaded sites, peaceful, and safe. 2nd-The owners. Wife is very nice, friendly, and curteous. The husband. Nice when he wanted to be, but if you do anything he doesn't like, look out. I understand rules and the reasoning for them. I don't disagree with them. The problem is, if you do something he doesn't like, there is no hesitation, with him becoming rude and disrespectful. The way he goes about talking to you is not in a professional way. Nothing about is nice. It's rude and he makes you feel like you really did something horrible. I was fishing just before dark on a dock, which turned out to be private, with my ten year old daughter. He rode up on a bicycle with his hooded sweatshirt up and asked if I had permision to fish there. I said no, I didn't know I needed it because your wife said you guys own the whole lake. His response was "you could have asked" which he said multiple times rudely. Me, being a service manager for a dealership and deal with customers daily, can't phathom treating one of my customers that way. His approach is what's wrong with him, not what he is trying to do. He comes across as, I'm the boss, hear me roar type power trip. There was 1 other incident I witnessed but wasn't a part of so I will not comment on them other than saying what I said previously-his approach sucks!Overall it is a very nice campground but I will not return just because of him. They have about 100 very nice sites, but only roughly 20 filled. For such a nice campground, there must be a reason for this and I believe it's him. If you go, dot yours I's and cross your t's and you will have no problem. I was there with my family, which included a 2 1/2 month old baby, so I dont feel in any way I was there to create a problem, but that is how I left feeling. I was surely disapointed.

15 Thank gorbyadvisor
bluegilllake, Owner at Bluegill Lake Campground, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you Gorbyadvisor for your opinion. As well, a round of applause for your “professional” assessment of the quality of this campground. As new owners of this beautiful campground we are striving to purge the park of guests such as yourself, who choose to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Your kind fall into the category of “the abusive and excessive”, which I might add, is becoming fewer and fewer. Far and away, the vast majority of our guests continually praise and thank us for our continual effort in making Bluegill Lake a fun, safe and relaxing place to stay within a family type environment. My only regret is that I can’t advise your employer what type of person he has on staff, but I’m willing to bet they already suspect this. On a similar note, I thank you for advising other potential guests with behavior patterns such as yourself that they should heed your advise. With your on line presence, you are making our job of transforming our campground easier and easier. By the way, when you handed me a piece of equipment that you had wantonly destroyed, with the comment, “I’m sorry” and no offer to remediate the situation, you noticed that I had turned the other cheek and wrote the episode off as the cost of doing business, with no thanks from you for this professional behavior. I see that no good deed goes unpunished! Happy Trails, Paul.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We have gone up to this campground a couple times and have had only pleasant experiences. The owners are very nice people who were very accommodating. There's lots to do on the campground itself: it has a playground area, a rec hall with ping pong and foosball, a hiking trail, and an inflatable playplace on the lake. The playplace was our favorite part of the campground; it has a jungle gym to climb, a few rafts and a slide. We didn't know how sturdy it would be at first glance, but it was able to support 6 full grown men with no problem. The lake is very clean and even has a little area to lay out and get a tan. The entire campground is clean for that matter, including the bathrooms. If you are looking for a campground in the Pretty Lake/Mount Pleasant area, I definitely recommend camping here. It is clean, a reasonable price, and the owners are great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeff G
Weidman, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We were all excited to go camping this 4th of July weekend at Bluegill Lake Family Camping Resort in Mecosta. We had a blast staying there hanging around the fire, then going fishing in the mornings and evenings at lakes around the area. However, this all changed in an instant when one of the campground owners came back to our campsite. A visiting friend failing to check in at the office is what prompted the visit. The way one of the owners approached us about it and the tone of his voice, was the worst form of professionalism I've ever seen. He told our friend that he was trespassing and was to leave his property immediately. Our friend was given no warning, the owner was angrier and meaner than anyone I've ever seen. Since the campsite was in my name, he pointed at me with an angry face and motioned me over to him with his finger like I was 7. He began to threaten me with his anger that we were about to be kicked off his private property because of our friend. They have 0 tolerance I was told. When he sternly told me that I should have read the list of expectations they gave me, I calmly tried explaining to him that I was not given any such list. (When I registered at the office the day we arrived, they were in a hurry and there were changes to our invoice they had to make. So they had me sign a paper and I was camping). At that point he got even angrier, didn't believe me and told me to follow him to his office. I said I’d be there in a minute; let me grab my wallet just in case. He said no, now. So I went to the office where both campground owners were. I was treated with kindness and respect from the other owner. But I was then told by the guy, that he wouldn't mind getting rid of my kind and quality from his campground. If that wouldn't make you feel discriminated against or at least a piece of dung, you’re not human. But still trying to be nice (with my blood pressure sky high), I took the list of expectations that she gave me, said thank you and went back to camping. The next morning we had gotten over it and were all set to leave to go fishing. When my wife's Grandpa and Grandma pulled in to follow us to the lake to go fishing, then they were going to come back and eat lunch with us at our site. The owner told them that we were running a motel at our camp site and he would let them know if they could come back for lunch. We had 9 family members come visit us throughout the 4 days we stayed there. Which might sound like a lot for a campground, I’ll give him that. But anyone that stayed past 3 hours paid their $5 guest fee. But we weren’t going to let him ruin our 4th of July vacation. He wasn’t around the office when we got back at lunch time, but the other owner told them that if they weren’t there for the whole 3 hours for lunch, she would give them their $5 back for the guest fee. Then on our last day as I was driving out with my camper all packed up, I stopped by the office to see if I needed to sign anything, tell her bye, thanks for her hospitality and let them know the camp site was all cleaned up. Both the owners were there, after saying good bye, the guy walked outside the office with me and told me he personally would have liked a few minutes around the side of a building with my buddy. Then he told me that if he could fill that place with people that never fish, people of my kind and quality, his prayers would be answered and his job would be 1,000 times easier. When I asked him if he didn’t like fisherman, he said he doesn’t like people slaying their lake and he needs to protect his aquarium. He said their rates are higher than the other campgrounds in the area, to filter out the problems. He then said something again about us running a motel, I told him maybe I over looked it, but I didn’t see anything in their expectations about there being a limit on guests per site. He said I am going to help re-write their list of expectations for them. I don't understand how a business can stay in business with this kind of belittling, threatening, and discriminating ownership. But then again, the campground was only at about 60% capacity during the 4th of July weekend. We had our worst camping experience ever this past weekend and I feel terrible having to write a review like this, but I have never been treated like this in my life so I want to prevent this from happening to anyone else in the future by getting the word out there that one of the owners at Bluegill Lake Campground has quite the anger issue, is the worst professional I've ever seen and is just down right mean. On the other hand the other owner remained professional, civil, and was a delight to interact with.

15 Thank Derrick U
bluegilllake, Owner at Bluegill Lake Campground, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Derrick U, Thank you for your opinion. Our festive filled forth of July at Bluegill Lake was a resounding, spectacularly safe and enjoyable holiday for all guests, with the exception of one, yourself. There were children and guests of all ages over the road system and throughout the campground; on bikes, walking and jogging. Much to everyone's enjoyment, the weather was co-operative and our beach and lake (as reported by a long time "Seasonal Guest") was at a capacity never seen before. Over the course of the holiday, it had become increasingly obvious that you and your guests had not familiarized yourself with our posted (on the website), and printed set of expectations. You are correct in your ascertation that we are a Zero tolerance campground. Frankly, it disturbs us at Bluegill Lake to have to create a living document of Expectations, when we would like nothing more than to outline our Expectations with a one sentence statement, "No excessive or abusive behavior allowed" period. Unfortunately, due to people like yourself and your friends, we are forced to outline every step, procedure, and policy that we can think of to help curtail abuse. As well, with taxing guests such as yourself, we continue to learn more about our ignorance. We had watched your "friends" repeatedly violate our visitation policy, and admittedly we only corrected one other of your situations. Our final straw for tolerating your group's behavior came when one of your "visitors" went blazing thru our campground, drove past the beach, (speed in excess of 15 MPH), ignored our Stop sign located in front of our office (which I might add is in fact a DOT approved stop sign, at eye level), and speed up to your site, unauthorized, which I might add, at this juncture in his visit, he now is trespassing on private property. This being said, this educated young man, your friend, deserves no respect from me or any one or our staff, and frankly, I could have had him arrested and you and your party thrown out immediately with no warning or refund. For reference, it was Bluegill Lake who decided you were going to stay for the rest of the holiday. Singlehandedly, your "visitor/friend" jeopardized the safety and welfare of everyone roaming the campground. When approached at your site, he was boisterous and blatantly disrespectful of my request to leave immediately. To say I was infuriated was an understatement. With this being said, we thank you in advance for choosing to never stay here again, as well, we've advised all other local campgrounds of your existence. Happy Trails, Paul
Stanwood, Michigan
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We are seasonals there it was a rough road to start for the new owners. They had to get rid of some of the seasonals that were not good for the campground which is the result of some of the reviews here. It is a nice campground which is only going to get better. Not once have I seen the owners be rude in anyway to anyone. If there is a problem they will ask you to fix it. But you can only be nice so long when a few people are making it miserable for everyone else. It's a quite place to spend a weekend or be a seasonal.If you are looking for a party place you need to look else where.it is very family oriented. And the fishing is awesome.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Our family visited Bluegill Lake Family Camping Resort this summer for a week and we had a great time!! The owners were very friendly and they kept the park (including the wash house) incredibly clean! The camp store was very well stocked and the prices were very reasonably, unlike other camp stores we've been to in the past. We had so much fun enjoying all that the campground had to offer including the inflatable slide on the lake, the fishing, boating, and the rainy day activities. Our campsite was very large and had an absolutely beautiful lake view! The owners just purchased the park this year and told us about the changes they have already made and the changes they plan to make in the next couple of years, including adding on to the inflatable slide on the lake. We are very excited to come back next season to enjoy all of the improvements and to enjoy some quality family time away from all of our everyday distractions!! We loved our camping trip!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 4 September 2012

If you stated the new owners are doing the best for this camp ground then you are related to them. My family and I have been camping here for a long time. I am shocked on the way these new owners treat people. They are nice at first but all you are is a paycheck. If you do or say one thing wrong he is in your face yelling and making a scene. He will then tell you to leave with no money back. i watched this owner yell and scream at a group of elderly people because they wanted to step up and help out another camper. the owner went crazy screaming that this was his camp ground (actually said that about 25 times) and when he says they are not to help people he means it or they are out of there. Are you kidding me? not normal behavior which is to bad because there are alot of good people there that camp that is until they leave. who can have fun with this owner?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank rebecca k
BluegillLakeCamping, Owner at Bluegill Lake Campground, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
As new owners we expected to uncover problems with the infrastructure as well as problematic guests. There are absolute chunks of detail missing from this review. It is so skewed that it borders on fiction. Not only do we embrace quality guests, we cherish them. Our mission has been and remains to be a safe and clean family friendly campground. We wish you the best of luck in future your camping endeavors.

Been to Bluegill Lake Campground? Share your experiences!