“Awesome family campground” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bluegill Lake Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mecosta
Bluegill Lake Campground
Brighton, Michigan
“Awesome family campground”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Awesome campground! We loved the clean sandy lake with a great beach. Kids played for HOURS on the floating water structures (which were the highest quality I’ve seen). Then, they spent much time kayaking. We were a family of four and stayed very comfortably in the log cabin. The cabins were clean and adorable. The mattresses proved much more comfortable then a hotel’s! The absolute best was the peace and quiet while sitting on the log cabin’s porch, looking out over the lake to the beautiful woods beyond, drinking a strong cup of coffee while the kids slept in.

Bluegill campground was the perfect rare combination of calm and serene for my husband and I, while entertaining and exhausting for our kids.

Rooms

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mecosta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have been seasonal campers of Bluegill for the past six years, and have seen three different owners. The changes Nancy and Paul have made have been wonderful. The campground is quiet, peaceful, clean and well taken care of. At no time have we ever felt we were being threatened or have the owners been belligerent. There is a quiet time which is meant for the consideration of campers who may be trying to rest, and when children should be in their campsite because it is after dark. At no time does the quiet time mean you must go to bed. My husband, I and fellow camping neighbors have talked and yes drank around the campfire into the wee hours of the morning. However, we have always been considerate of other campers by being quiet so we do not disturb. We love this campground, and plan to remain for years to come. We wish Paul and Nancy many years as owners of Bluegill.

Bay City, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

As a seasonal camper with two special needs children, I can say that this campground is the most accommodating and friendly atmosphere. We have followed this campground through its previous owners (which were disastrous and now the new owners are trying to bring it back to its glory) and can say with the utmost confidence that our experience has been nothing short of wonderful with the new owners. Rules are rules and it is because of those rules that make for a safe and fun time for everyone. I highly recommend you check it out before letting a few rule breakers taint your view.

Cache, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We had a blast. We had a family reunion with several camp sights and both cabins in use. We were probably loud and I know that we stayed out side around the camp fire until late or I should say early into the morning some nights. A couple of times we were asked to drive the speed limit which is 5 miles per hour. All of which when we were approached was highly professional and polite. We needed to respect the other people in the camp ground. We had small children and that is the atmosphere that this camp ground is trying to protect. The owners were very nice and personable. They made themselves available for everything that we needed. Very pleasant people to be around. They had bikes for the kids to ride, trails to walk, berries to pick, the inflatable on the lake, horseshoes, volleyball. What more could you want in a camp sight? They even went out of their way to tell us about the county fair so that we could attend it.

If you are looking for a family oriented, safe place to bring your small children this is the sight for you. Not one person in our reunion was disappointed. As we were preparing to leave the owners approached us to ask what they could do to make it a more enjoyable stay. That is customer service. After reading some of the disappointed reviews I have to wonder if those people would be happy in paradise?

Room Tip: This is a camp site. They will help you if you ask about the site that will work for your camper an...
      Rooms
1 Thank DonnaLee H
South Boardman, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is a nice facility, but the Male half of the ownership is extremely Rude, Unprofessional, and Confrontational to say the least. This was the worst stay in a campground ever! When they say quiet time is 10:30 that means go to bed! Two people whispering around a campfire is too loud. The Owner walks around the campground with his flashlight and will stop at the end of you site and if he can hear anything look out!!!!!!, this includes young children!!! In most encounters with him he seemed to be absolutely drunk and goes right to yelling and screaming. Do not stay here!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Lee J
bluegilllake, Owner at Bluegill Lake Campground, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for all of your opinions. This rebuttal is in response to all the criticism that stemmed from the J____ group (family reunion) that was at Bluegill Lake Family Camping Resort the first weekend of August 2013. Some points need to be clarified: First of all you group consisted of 17 sites and by your own admission over 100 guests. Groups of this size historically present their own sets of challenges, especially, when the majority fails to read and understand the campground expectations. These guidelines are put in place for the safety and consideration of everyone. Some points to consider: A multitude of expectations were totally ignored and difficult for us to ignore. As your group learned, quiet time is at 10:30, you were learning this point on Friday night and I absolutely wanted to make certain it was understood by Saturday night. A large group at the campsite (webster defines this as over 20) your group had over 50. The incredible amount of noise that your group generated having “fun” could be heard throughout the entire campground (15 acres large). The children running around after 10:30pm throughout the campground screaming and hollering has not place here, those children should have been supervised, but again, we were assuming you cared about the consideration of others, since you wouldn’t address it, we did. As ironic as it sounds, the “prayer circle” that your family had Saturday did in fact answer some of my prayers, and that was to keep your group quiet after 10:30pm. Furthermore, this insistence about me operating this campground while drunk is totally slanderous and if you’re not careful, prosecutable! To paraphrase a few quotes from your group, Mr. O___ stated, “Our group has never been invited back to a campground”, as well, your Aunt Deb, “We may not be a good fit for your campground”, and we couldn’t have said it better ourselves. Happy Trails, Paul
Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We just stayed at Bluegill Lake Family Campground. 8 of us total in 4 of the sites. Weather cooperated for us most of the time. Owners: Paul and Nancy were very helpful with all of us. There store has supplies for everything that you havent thought of or missed in your packing. We found the campground to be a very beautiful area with many things to keep you occupied. Wash rooms were very clean and easy to walk to. Prices were very reasonalbe and afforable for any persons budget. Thank you, for your accomodations, I personally will want to comeback and inform of other family and friends.

1 Thank Jackie R
grand ledge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Found this place in michigan campground directory book and thought we would try it out. I went with my wife, 2 kids, and dog. My parents went as well with their trailer. Now, I dont typically read or believe most of what is said in these reviews, but in case, it's true. 1st-Campground is very nice. Clean, level, shaded sites, peaceful, and safe. 2nd-The owners. Wife is very nice, friendly, and curteous. The husband. Nice when he wanted to be, but if you do anything he doesn't like, look out. I understand rules and the reasoning for them. I don't disagree with them. The problem is, if you do something he doesn't like, there is no hesitation, with him becoming rude and disrespectful. The way he goes about talking to you is not in a professional way. Nothing about is nice. It's rude and he makes you feel like you really did something horrible. I was fishing just before dark on a dock, which turned out to be private, with my ten year old daughter. He rode up on a bicycle with his hooded sweatshirt up and asked if I had permision to fish there. I said no, I didn't know I needed it because your wife said you guys own the whole lake. His response was "you could have asked" which he said multiple times rudely. Me, being a service manager for a dealership and deal with customers daily, can't phathom treating one of my customers that way. His approach is what's wrong with him, not what he is trying to do. He comes across as, I'm the boss, hear me roar type power trip. There was 1 other incident I witnessed but wasn't a part of so I will not comment on them other than saying what I said previously-his approach sucks!Overall it is a very nice campground but I will not return just because of him. They have about 100 very nice sites, but only roughly 20 filled. For such a nice campground, there must be a reason for this and I believe it's him. If you go, dot yours I's and cross your t's and you will have no problem. I was there with my family, which included a 2 1/2 month old baby, so I dont feel in any way I was there to create a problem, but that is how I left feeling. I was surely disapointed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank gorbyadvisor
bluegilllake, Owner at Bluegill Lake Campground, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you Gorbyadvisor for your opinion. As well, a round of applause for your “professional” assessment of the quality of this campground. As new owners of this beautiful campground we are striving to purge the park of guests such as yourself, who choose to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Your kind fall into the category of “the abusive and excessive”, which I might add, is becoming fewer and fewer. Far and away, the vast majority of our guests continually praise and thank us for our continual effort in making Bluegill Lake a fun, safe and relaxing place to stay within a family type environment. My only regret is that I can’t advise your employer what type of person he has on staff, but I’m willing to bet they already suspect this. On a similar note, I thank you for advising other potential guests with behavior patterns such as yourself that they should heed your advise. With your on line presence, you are making our job of transforming our campground easier and easier. By the way, when you handed me a piece of equipment that you had wantonly destroyed, with the comment, “I’m sorry” and no offer to remediate the situation, you noticed that I had turned the other cheek and wrote the episode off as the cost of doing business, with no thanks from you for this professional behavior. I see that no good deed goes unpunished! Happy Trails, Paul.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mecosta
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Rapids
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Big Rapids

Been to Bluegill Lake Campground? Share your experiences!