“great location and value make this standard chain motel a favourite”

Econo Lodge On the Bay
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Menominee
Reviewed 2 September 2012

The hotel's name suggests that it's "on the bay" - only this time, that's actually true. The front rooms do face the parking lot, but those at the back look straight over the water which is only a few yards away. Its location is one good reason to choose this hotel: although it is a very standard hotel right on the highway - it's no rustic retreat - still, only a mile or so away is the charming John Henes city park, again right by the water, with a sandy beach, wooded trails, room to run and, when I went there around 10 a.m., complete and unexpected tranquillity. A mile or so in the other direction from the hotel is the waterfront city centre, which I didn't have time to explore but which felt like a real town on driving through, unlike some of the resort communities elsewhere along the shore. But back to the Econolodge: the room was clean and comfortable, if undistinguished. The sink is outside the bathroom proper, which I find convenient when travelling with others; better yet, these two areas were somehow arranged so that, if you got up in the night and flipped the switch in the bathroom, it didn't flood the sleeping area with light. (Note to management: when you next renovate, make the curtains a foot longer so the room isn't so bright in the morning for those who sleep in.) There was no fridge or microwave in our room - some rooms may have them - and the AC unit was of the older kind, with (for example) "cool" and "high cool" rather than a digital temperature, but it worked well enough, as did the internet in our room. The breakfast was perfectly acceptable but, again, undistinguished; however, there are a number of restaurants nearby which we didn't try but which should offer something for most tastes. I'd certainly stay here again - I've stayed here before - and would have given it five stars except that, for some reason, our room was not made up between the first and second nights of our stay; doubtless an oversight, as in general the staff are friendly and the hotel seems reasonably well kept up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water - I think they're very slightly more expensive, but I'd...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank botafogoblogger

Reviewed 26 August 2012

The staff and management bent over backwards to help me out of a problem. the room and public are are immaculate and I would stay no place else if I am ever here again. Thank you so much for your help and the pleasant manner in which you delivered it.

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Tom1948
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This was a nice property. Didn't spend much time here besides sleeping after the fireworks for the waterfront festival, but was never bothered by noise. WIFI was sketchy, ended up having to tether the computer to my smartphone to be able to use any internet. The hotel is conveniently located to Perkins and Schlagels restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This place appeared to be brand spankin new! The whole facility was clean and well maintained. n our room, the sink, tub and toilet were all in one room. I especially appreciated this when I went to bed early. My husband could get ready for bed without waking me up! :^) There was a surprisingly well-equipped fitness room with a sauna. The little deck at the back of the property has a beautiful view of Green Bay. We didn't stay for breakfast. It was probably the weakest feature of our visit. The space they have set aside for breakfast is nice and roomy, but the food options were very limited. I don't know if the menu is a local or corporate decision, but is probably easily remedied.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The room was clean and simple. We had 2 Queen beds, no microwave or refrigerator. Breakfast was lame, we had a glass of juice and a yogurt. Pastries were the packaged ones. The bathroom sink was outside of the toilet/tub room, which was convenient. The motel backs up to the bay of Green Bay; it has a rocky shoreline here, and there is a deck behind the parking lot along the shore. Our pillows and mattresses were rather uncomfortable. I had requested a no-smoking room (and I believe the whole motel is no-smoking), but our room was above a designated smoking area so it constantly smelled of smoke. The area designated for smoking is right outside of the side door! Also, my daughter is hard-of-hearing so we need closed-captioning on the TV, and the closed-captioning didn't work. Trains went by at 10:30 pm, 2:30 am and 5:30 am.

Room Tip: If smoke bothers you, ask for a room away from the side door. Designated smoking area is just outsi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This is a great place to stop for a night between northern and southern destinations. We purposely booked this motel in advance as we were traveling through the U.P. on our way to Door County. I paid a little more for a room with a bay view and it was worth it. The room was clean and efficient. We really enjoyed sitting on their deck at the back of their property overlooking Green Bay. The only disappointment was the meager breakfast that they offered. I would still recommend this to other travelers.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michman1300
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife and I, along with our four month old daughter stayed here over Easter weekend this year while visiting family in Marinette, Wisconsin.
Upon checking in, we were offered an upgrade to a nicer room (It pays to join Choice Rewards) and were happy to find that we were given the Honeymoon Suite.
The Honeymoon Suite turned out to be a very spacious room with a King size bed, sofa, table with two chairs, a computer desk, a fireplace, and a two person whirlpool tub. The bathroom was huge as well with all the usual amenities.
The continental breakfast was the basic free breakfast, but was good none-the-less.
Prior to breakfast, I took a walk out back by the deck they have overlooking the bay of Green Bay, and was treated to a breathtaking sunrise. I have added a picture below.

Overall I would have to say that this is the best EconoLodge I have ever stayed at. I would highly recommend it to anyone needing a play to stay in Menominee, Michigan.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms give you the chance to catch a breath taking sunrise over the bay of Green Bay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank coryprice8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menominee
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Menominee
Quality Inn & Suites Marinette
Baymont Inn & Suites Marinette
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marinette
Best Western Riverfront Inn
Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
#16 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Econo Lodge On the Bay? Share your experiences!