“Sufficient & clean but nothing to get excited about”

Holiday Inn Midland
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Midland
Houston, Texas
“Sufficient & clean but nothing to get excited about”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Hotel is in a good location near lots of shopping and restaurants. Room was clean with all necessary amenities. European style shower head with no bathtub. Very strong hair dryer, which was a nice surprise. Like the special touch of having different pillow densities that are marked for personal preference. Fluffy, fresh comforter but I didn't sleep well in the bed, which is extremely strange for me as I usually sleep better in hotel beds than at home. The walls were very thin as I kept getting woken up all throughout the morning by other people's alarm clocks around me. This happened both mornings as apparently I was planning to wake up later than others. Extremely annoying. The work-out facility is also a bit lacking - not a very good variety or very large space for which to work out. No one was at the front desk when I tried to check out so I just left the room key on the counter and left. Felt a bit strange but apparently it was sufficient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midland, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Monica L,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for posting a candid review. It makes us happy to read that you liked the convenient location of our hotel to shopping areas and dining options, as well as our hotel amenities. I am however disappointed that you had challenges with the noise during your stay. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as this helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Michigan
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I'm usually a Marriott loyalist but this is a great choice for the Midland area. The rooms are fairly large, well appointed with small fridge/microwave and nice sized bath. The pool area is about 2times larger than pools at comparable hotels and there's a sports bar/restaurant attached. I'm a hotel snob so I gave it a 5/5 because it's an excellent version of a moderately priced non- full service hotel. Clean safe updated...near a mall with target kohls etc. I happen to love ruby Tuesdays and Barnes and noble which are also very close by.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 queens were very nice and roomy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
bflavin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midland, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
PatienceWonderful,
I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Midland and taking the chance on a non-Marriott hotel. I am glad you found the rooms large and well appointed with with a fridge and a microwave and the pool area to be above and beyond your normal size. Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback and we hope you choose to stay with us again in the future. Have a great day.
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Newer hotel. Rooms were clean, comfortable, and large. Fridge, microwave in room. Housekeeping staff were meticulous. Pool area was great and the kids loved it. Real highlight was the attached restaurant/sports bar. Great breakfast!

• Stayed May 2014
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Your staff (Tricia and Eric) were very accomodating to my husband and myself last weekend. I had made the mistake of booking at the wrong motel and they made it so easy to change our reservation. They did not make me feel like it was my falt (which it was). They were ausome. The room was very clean the staff at the restaurant were very friendly also. Great stay! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: we needed a wheelchair accecable romm and it was excellent.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Saint Clair, Michigan
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stopped in on a whim after leaving the casino and wanting a place to stay for the night due to the casino being all booked up...of course I consulted trip advisor and this seemed to be a good fit for our needs.

Room was exceptionally clean, modern decor. The little kitchenette are was unexpected and a nice addition. The pool area was outstanding, better than average game room set up. The attached bar was awesome.

The gist of it is.you know its a good hotel when you want to return as soon as you leave. And I will be back.

Room Tip: I had a jacuzzi room but it appears that a few rooms had balconies however none were available.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel for a weekend while in Midland for a Basketball Tournament. Needless to say the hotel was packed due to this tournament but they seemed to be staffed well to cover the large amount of guests there for the weekend. The rooms are nice, nothing fancy. We stayed in one of the rooms that offered 3 queen beds, which was perfect to accommodate our group. Our room was equipped with a mini-fridge, microwave, counter with sink & cupboards, which was super nice since we were traveling with kids.
The bathroom was spacious and clean however, I did find the location of the toilet paper to be odd – under the sink/counter and out of site. This would have worked out well had the toilet been closer to the counter and if the counter was a little higher up. It was awkward if you were tall because you had to lean and reach down so far to the ground and it was difficult to reach if you were short like my daughter, who could not reach it while seated. The other thing that I found annoying was the bathroom door swung out into the main door. So if someone was walking in the room the same time the bathroom door was open then the two doors would crash into each other – which got annoying after a while.
The bed was comfortable, not the best I’ve ever slept on but certainly not the worse. The pillows however, were laughable – very tiny and probably half the size of a standard pillow. They were soft enough but the comfort was not there because they didn’t provide the support needed between your neck & shoulders.
The hotel has a great pool/spa area with a game room above it. The kids played for hours in the pool and indoor/outdoor hot tub (which was awesome – such a great feature and huge!). Be sure to rinse off at the shower feature in the pool area when done, because there is a ton of chlorine in the pool/spa (not sure if this is all the time or just on overload because of all the kids in the hotel that weekend. The towels offered in the pool area are also laughable. My daughter who is 4 foot 7 and 75 lbs soaking wet could not even wrap the towel around her. They are literally about 2 feet long and a foot wide. The guest services person working the pool area was strict on enforcing the 1 towel limit, which would have been fine had they been larger than a hand towel. You are not allowed to bring outside beverages/food in the pool area however, they did have a waitress that would come around and take your drink/food order. Also the website and literature does not state this but kids are not allowed in the pool area after 10:30 even though it’s open till midnight.
There is also an attached restaurant/bar which was completely packed while we were there so we did not dine there, except for the breakfast which was included in our rate. The breakfast was typical hotel buffet breakfast but they offered a lot of nice options including fruit and packaged bakery items.
The biggest complaint I have is the hotel guest services man that patrols the place like a watchdog. He was a nice enough guy but took things to extreme. It seemed to us like he was on the hunt to catch any and all people breaking any rules (whether it be taking 2 towels or catching the grandma who snuck her to grandkids into the pool area at 10:45 when the pool area was completely empty). It was a little creepy and as a paying adult I don’t feel the need to be babysat and patrolled at all hours when I go to hotel.
All in all the hotel was a nice stay other than the feeling that the pool guy is babysitting you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
bflavin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midland, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Love_Family_VayCays,
First off, I would like to thank you, your family, and the other basketball teams for choosing to say with us during your recent tournament. I am glad you enjoyed the 3 queen room equipped with, mini-fridge, microwave, counter with sink and cupboards. It is always fun when your kids have a pool and game area that they can play in for hours on weekend trips especially during the winter months. I apologize that you encountered the issues that you did during your stay at our hotel. We will be sure to bring up these issues in our next managers meeting. I am sorry, that you felt as if you were being babysat during your stay. Our goal as a team is to provide every guest with the best possible experience during their stay and on busy weekends we have found that having someone consistently around helps minimize any issues that we may encounter. Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day.
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

The rooms were very nice and clean, the front desk staff was very helpful and nice. I was very disappointed in the swimming pool and spa. Once we got out of the pool and into the spa there was a bunch of allege, which made my family and I very itchy. We also took the kids to the game room and it took all my tokens without letting my kids play a game. But they did refund me for the tokens.

• Stayed March 2014