“Not as good as first impression suggested”
Review of Annabelle's Own

Annabelle's Own
Ranked #3 of 142 Restaurants in Midland
Cuisines: American
Midland, Michigan
“Not as good as first impression suggested”
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

I'm updating a prior review where I gave an "Excellent" rating after our first visit. We've been back a few times and found it is not nearly as good as we first thought. I've had chicken over biscuits that was scrumptious and triggered the initial rating. Since, we've tried the pasty - pretty good, but a bit bland due to the lack of rutabaga, a pot roast stuffed baked potato that was very good but is no longer on the menu, mac 'n' cheese that needs a sharper cheddar to save it from terminal blandness, five-way chili that was a reasonable facsimile of Cincinnati chili, but was a bit heavy on the chili powder, and nachos that were just bad. The nachos had very little cheese and what cheese there was was overcooked and dried out. Overall I can rate it only average. It's worth a try because the menu is unique, but we will never be regulars.

Visited August 2013

Michigan
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The macaroni and cheese is heavenly! The rolls seem homemade. I couldn't keep my daughter away from my plate! There isn't alot of seating but we were fine when we went- got right in. Stop by the ice cream shop for a waffle cone full of ice cream for dessert you won't regret it. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Midland, Michigan
“ok, not the greatest though”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I went therewith my boyfriend. I had the special of the day, the Taco Roll with tortilla chips and salsa. It was advertised on their facebook page as "We are going to fill our delicious naan bread with taco meat. Lettuce, tomato, avocado, and taco sauce and send it out in a basket with plenty of chips and salsa!" It was cold all the way though and I found 1 piece of avocado on it, after. It was ok, but much better when I took it home and heated it up. I figured it would be warm, not cold. My boyfriend had the wet burrito. It was also ok, and I can make better at home. It was supposed to be "full of meat, refried beans, cheddar cheese, and topped with a meaty chili sauce" The sauce hardly had any meat in it. It was also clearly microwaved as there were spots that were super hot and others that were still stone cold. I've had worse food and I've had better. I will probably come back again and give them another chance as they are fairly new and just started serving the summer menu, but hope my food would be warm the next time, especially things like the burrito that should be warm.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank momma_of_kitties
Sanford, Michigan
“good food but”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Being a caterer does not necessarily make one a great restaurateur. Since this is a small eatery I was advised to make reservations for a Friday dinner for 6 people. Tried twice by phone during business hours to make a reservation but no luck with anyone answering the phone. Finally facebooked and requested one. Answer back, we look forward to seeing you. Well, you can imagine my surprise when we arrived and there was not a table reserved and no one seemed to be aware we even had a reservation. We were taken next door to the ice cream store and 3 small tables were hastily put together for us. We were offered popcorn which was a nice touch but it tasted like soap! On to the dinner, the first one ordered and pasties were not available, so 4 of us ordered the hot turkey sandwich. One ordered a gyro and one the rib and chicken dinner. Salads for the 4 turkeys came out but we were into our dinner before salad for the other 2 arrived. Of course we were finished eating by the time the last 2 got their dinners. Everyone liked their meal but I don't think this eatery can handle parties this large. Coffee was served in a huge mug and tasted like soap. It also gets cold fast. The waitress was very nice but overwhelmed I think. Don't think we'll be back and I'm sorry but I can't recommend this restaurant based on my experience.

• Visited May 2013
Breckenridge, Michigan
“Annablelle's Own is awesome”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Ron and I stopped here on our way home from town yesterday and had the Cherry Coke ribs. O! M! G! they were awesome! The service was fast and friendly and the prices are so reasonable. We had to share a meal because you get so much. I highly recommend Annabelle's!

• Visited May 2013