“Charming; quiet”
Review of Hotel Sterling

Hotel Sterling
Ranked #1 of 2 Monroe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Nicely decorated, small hotel in downtown Monroe. Our room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. The food items (mentioned in other reviews) are a nice plus. The hotel is so small (13 rooms?) that staff is not always at the desk, so make your reservation ahead! We happened to be in town on one of the summer Thursday evenings of Monroe's "River Raisin Jazz Series"- enjoyed wonderful music with our dinner at McGeady's. Jazz musicians were featured at other nearby venues as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dirtroads15
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sterling

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Pros:
1) The small fridge was stocked with water, pop, milk, yogurt and juice.
2) Breakfast items were provided (cereals, breakfast bars, fruit and instant oatmeal).
3) Spacious room.
4) Room was quiet. We didn't hear any noise from nearby rooms.
5) Free local and long distance calls.
6) Comfortable chairs and the TV rotates from facing the living area to facing the bed.
7) Room was very clean.

Cons:
By far the worst part of the room is the bedding.
1) The comforter was stained (see photo). Yuck!
2) The pillows had stains on them.
3) The mattress pad had stains on it and it had several holes in it.
4) The pillows needed to be replaced. They were lumpy and uncomfortable.
5) The clothes iron had a large gummy burnt spot on the bottom. After I plugged the iron into the outlet, it began to smoke and give off a very bad odor.

Overall, Our stay here was pretty good. Its just hard to ignore stains on the bed you are sleeping in!

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room for a quiet stay.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Two4travel
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Beautiful room. Very comfortable bed. Nice treats for breakfast in a fridge. Microwave. Good coffee. Nice area. Not expensive and totally worth it. My brother in law suggested it when I was hesitating about where to stay in the area. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I was visiting a friend for her daughters wedding, they recommended the Hotel Sterling. I was so impressed, it was like a top notch New York Hotel...It was spacious, Clean and just so tastefully decorated. It was comfortable and I love the privacy. at first not having the Hotel staff around was kind of weird, but I must say it totally worked. I would highly recommend The Hotel Sterling, one of the best if not the best Hotels Ive stayed in.......

Room Tip: enjoy!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Ikea-style remodel, marble flooring, roman shades, comfortable bed. I only have good things to say about this place. Nice in-room fridge stocked with items for a continental-style breakfast, and keurig coffee maker- all included in the price of the room. This is a stellar example of an independent business outperforming chain hotels. I'd definitely recommend this place, and would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank TenaciousBees
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The Hotel Sterling was one the best hotel experiences that I've experienced this year. The concept of the hotel is brilliant. The only issue I had is that my family and I were not able to check into the room that we were initially supposed to have due to a mix up. The property manager was very apologetic and comped our room for the night.

Room Tip: The rooms are condo style and is not your typical hotel. There is no front desk clerk, swimming pool...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I was in town visiting family and it was recommended that I stay at Hotel Sterling, I could not have been more impressed or pleased with the amazing hotel and exceptional room. As soon as we entered the glass front doors into the very inviting lobby I was immediately impressed by the beautiful and tastefully decorated interior. The renovations and upgrades have done an exceptional job at maintaining the charm of a historic space but modernizing it in a tasteful way to show off the great features. I walked into my 1 bedroom suit and was shocked. Very spacious, high ceilings, a wonderful bed(soft white linens), beautiful wood floor, trim around all the door frames. The bathroom was recently remodeled to included a rain shower which was such a treat and the towels were plentiful and exceptional quality. I loved all the small attention to detail which made this truly and amazing visit. The in-room refrigerator stocked with treats and beverages was such a welcomed accompaniment to the breakfast goodies bowl on the table. Everywhere I looked I just felt like there were so many personalized touches which made me feel so comfortable, I will absolutely stay at Hotel Sterling again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family