“October Overnight Stay”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Monroe
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
“October Overnight Stay”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here overnight in October, 2013. We have a tradition of going out for a nice dinner and stay at a hotel overnight just before he leaves Michigan to go to Florida for the winter. We chose this hotel at random without having a reservation after pulling off I75. Pulling up to the front door, the property looked clean and well kept. My boyfriend had no problem getting a room. The entire facility, which is quite large, was extremely clean. We do a fair amount of traveling up and down I75 between Michigan and Florida, and can tell some horror stories of hotels we have stayed at. Our room on the 4th floor was very clean. We did not hear any noise from other rooms or the hallway. They have a very nice pool and hot tub, although we did not use them. My boyfriend went down for coffee early in the morning (I don't get up quite as early as he does), and he had no sooner pressed the coffee dispenser which spurted empty, than one of the ladies was at his elbow bringing a refill. Breakfast in the morning had something for everyone, such as sweet rolls, cereals, make your own waffles, scrambled egs, sausage pattyies, and biscuits with gray. We would definitely stay here again, and have signed up for the rewards program so we can stay at Quality Inns in other states.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol C
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 October 2013

I am very glad you enjoyed our hotel. We have a wonderful staff that work so hard to make sure your stay is the best that it can be. I am very pleased to hear that the breakfast attendant was aware of your boyfriend's needs.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your trip home will include a stop in Monroe. Enjoy your time in nice warm Florida.

734-242-6000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
chatham
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I recently made a reservation late in the day last week and when i arrived at the hotel, we realized i had made it for the wrong night. The Guest Service Representative, Nick, saw that I was weary and helped me out. Not only did he fix my mistake, but he gave me an upgrade with a Jaccuzi tub. The room was perfectly clean and comfortable (and so was that tub!!) - but the best part was the excellent customer service. I would highly recommend this hotel. We didn't get a chance to use the pool but everything looked lovely. We are planning on making this hotel part of our travel next year....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 September 2013

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will pass along your comments to Nick. Thank you so much for recognizing his hard work.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 8 September 2013

In reading reviews, I'll agree it's a nice place. Not large rooms as was stated in other reviews, same size as other rooms in hotels nearby, but, clean compared to the other places. Customer service was above average. The hotel layout is good. The rooms themselves are nice, bathrooms are small and laid out poorly, you feel cramped in there. But the beds are very comfortable. Let me tell you this tho - all Monroe hotels claim they will be booked, but rarely are they ever full, so don't be fooled when you see on web sites "only two rooms left" or the like. We stayed Labor day weekend, Friday was busy there but not booked solid, Saturday of Labor day weekend when you think they are the busiest, barely any other cars/guests there.

Okay, back to the hotel - nice pool, it has a Jacussi next to it. Very refreshing. Good selection in vending machines. Cable selection didn't offer much at all in the way of channels, Newer TV's but couldn't find a way to hook my laptop up to one without having to pay. Internet: they say free - but if you want high-speed, you have to pay extra at Quality Inn. Don't be fooled here either, without paying extra, you get good speeds for normal web surfing, you do not need to pay extra if you are just web surfing (my daughter watched a lot of youtube and music videos with no lag of buffering), no speed problems, so do not pay extra to surf thinking it will be faster, the speed for surfing is just fine.

On our stay, they did a good job of staggering the patrons, there were people two doors down on the opposite side of the hall, but no one directly next to us, so good job on management there for privacy and noise cuz no one was next door to our room. No smoking policy in Michigan wasn't too bad as you can scoot down the elevator and out the door to designated smoking areas, so that wasn't bad, so they accomodate non-smokers with clean air rooms and smokers by not having to spend ten minutes getting out to have a smoke. What else, oh they have a washer and dryer on the fourth floor, didn't think it was a big deal til my daughter wanted to go swimming again and our suits were still wet, so we were able to dry them real quick so we could swim again.

Let's see, big desk in the room, Lazyboy chair was comfortable, (we paid for a run-of-the-mill room, so this was nicer than most run-of-the-mill rooms around Monroe) smaller dressers than the other places, but not tiny.

The only thing lacking was small bathrooms, and no vanity. Didn't think that was bad either til my daughter was in the bathroom for a bit, and I had no way to make coffee or wash a glass or anything you'd need water and a countertop for, like brushing your teeth while someone is in the bathroom. I use a waterpik and having a vanity outside of the bathroom with good space comes in handy at a hotel. But the room was nice overall, so can't fault them too much. The rooms are soundproofed well, there was a fireworks display Saturday night which was loud outside, but we could barely hear them once in the room.

Okay, so this review is filled with some little details for you that normally you don't think of, but are nice to know when deciding on where to stay or not. We would and will go here again (we go to Monroe a lot). Compared to other hotels around it, you do pay more, but it's a nicer room and a nicer complex than the other hotels around it. Oh, and also they have a lot of wall outlets. That doesn't seem like much either, til you plug a few things in and find out you wish you'd brought a six-way power cord. Most hotel rooms lack an abundance of wall outlets, but our room had a lot of them. Another small detail which is big when you find out you need it. All in all: good room, good hotel, good management and staff.

Room Tip: Breakfast selection is better than other hotels in the area
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom F
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 September 2013

Kind Regards,

Blue Island, Illinois
Reviewed 5 September 2013

this hotel is great customer service is above excellent
very clean very large free breakfast area
pool is nice
rooms are large
o
verall a great bargain for the low rates good restaurents close by
if yoy are in monroe mich i urge you to check in this great place

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Raphine, Virginia
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Quality Inn Monroe earlier this month for five nights. The facility is large and spacious, and the rooms are nice. Unfortunately the delayed and insufficient GM response to a major safety issue is reducing the rating from 3 or 4 stars to 2 stars (2.5 would be more accurate and fair). While enjoying the complementary buffet in the dining room, my chair leg went through the plastic floor outlet cover, and I fell on the floor - fortunately was not injured. The GM , was out of the office, so I informed the front desk - who said they would write up the matter for maintenance. Four days later, the damaged outlet cover had not been repaired. I told another front desk person, who called the maintenance engineer to take care of the matter. I asked to speak to the GM as I had not heard back from her on that matter (I emailed her the same night), or lesser concerns (loud guests at 3 am, no room refrigerator the first night). I was told she was out that week but would certainly get back to me the following Monday. I heard nothing on Monday, but waited two more weeks before writing Choice Executive offices, to give the GM the benefit of the doubt - especially after her returning from an absence due to a medical procedure. The Executive Offices contacted the GM at Quality Inn Monroe, and only then did she finally respond. Though the GM's response was kind, apologetic, and courteous (she seems like a very nice person) - she offered nothing in the way of accommodation on the bill or on a future stay. The combination of no response for 2-3 weeks and no accommodation on the bill, indicated to me the matter was viewed by the GM as routine rather than serious. While I was not injured by the fall, it was very scary and embarrassing. I recontacted Executive Offices, who gave me some Choice reward points, which means I will continue to stay at Choice Hotels but likely not at this particular facility. Choice Hotels has a satisfaction guarantee, and by offering no accommodation, in my view this guarantee was not honored by the GM. It is unfortunate, as my wife and I travel to Michigan several times a year and this hotel is near my in law's home. A timely response and proper accommodation would have made me much more likely to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kcfield

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We recently spend five nights at this Quality Inn to be in Michigan for my son's wedding.
We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It was very clean and every day we were there I saw cleaning and maintenance being done. We had a King suite room and it was comfortable and again, very clean. It had a pull out sofa, which was used when the groom, our son, spent the night before the wedding with us. There was also a small sink area with a microwave and small refrigerator.
The breakfast was one of the best free ones I have had in a hotel. The foods were fresh and well stocked. Free coffee and cookies were available in the afternoon and evening in the lobby. The public areas were very ample for gathering and comfortable. There was plenty of tables for eating breakfast or just hanging out. There were also sofas and a tv in those areas for just sitting. In the evening the area doubled as a bar.
The staff was friendly. Everyone greeted you as you walked through the hotel and seemed to take pride in their work. There is a small fitness center which I used and it was fine. There is an indoor pool and hot tub which seemed nice, although we did not use that area.
I had a friend coming in from the airport very early on Saturday, at 9am, and I asked if I could leave her my room key, with the front desk, so that she would have a place to put her stuff until her room was ready. Cheryl, at the front desk, told me she would try to have a room ready for her that early, and she did! So my friend could settle right in and get ready to go to the wedding.
So overall, we found this hotel to be very good all around, with the right amount of amenities for our needs, accommodating and friendly staff, and above all, cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mom22militarymen
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Kind Regards,

western PA
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We were in Monroe for a funeral service and needed a room for a short one night stay. This Quality Inn fit the bill even though it did not start out well. Initially, I was greeted by the manager, Shelli (I believe). She was able to accomodate us as my sister-in-law also got a room there last minute. Shelli was able to get us across the hall--NICE.
Big issue was the fact that we drove around to the back to enter and proceed to our room. The keys failed miserably in the exterior door and also initially was an issue at the room. This did not go over well after traveling in a heavy rain for miles and being tired from the whole day. Went back to the desk and got the keys redone and they worked well in the room, but we parked by the front door to avoid that whole issue.
The room itself was good, especially for our purposes on this trip--a place to try and relax and sleep. The only problems were in the shower where it seemed to be easier to pull the showerhead out of the wall than to change the spray pattern. Bathrooom seemed to be outdated as well, with the not being able to look clean appearance to it.
Unfortunately, we did not get to try the breakfast as we had to meet family and did not feel we could let them mooch a free breakfast without staying--so went next door the TA. There are several restaurants that you could walk to, but we just had a thunderstorm that knocked out power. That greatly limited our choices for breakfast.
Overall --a good stay in the mid-range for price. If we did not get to use a partial credit from expedia, we probably would have stayed elsewhere for less money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your stay. I do apologize for any mix up with your keys. I will slow down next time and double check that they are correct. We do wish you had time to enjoy or breakfast, Maybe on your next trip to Monroe you will be able to stay a little longer and enjoy some of our amenities. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to do better fo ryou next time.

Shelli Crippen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Hampton Inn Monroe
Hampton Inn Monroe
#1 of 9 in Monroe
Days Inn & Suites Monroe
Holiday Inn Express & Suites MONROE
Baymont Inn & Suites Monroe
Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Monroe
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dundee

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!