“Birthday Weekend!”

Bygone Basics
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Montague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Go back to simpler times. A true Farm-to Table Immersion! Experience for yourself the culinary heritage skills of your choosing. Enjoy hearty food and beverages of an heirloom cuisine, while hands-on experiencing soap making, bread making, home canning, making jams and jellies, pies. Learn how these skills were made using old tools and seeing how today's tools can cut your effort to a serious minimum. Gather eggs or harvest your produce in the gardens if you wish. Or choose to let us take care of that (and leave the kitchen clean-up to us!) This is all undertaken in a 143 year old home that harkens back to old-style farmhouse living. An absolutely fabulous experience while gaining skills you will use to reduce food costs, ensure the safety of your foods, and re-live a piece of heritage that is fast becoming lost. Also a heritage recipe bakery. Here, you can order your grandma's peach pie...and get it! Complete with a "pantry" for purchase of baked goods, jams/jellies, heritage soaps and candles. An on-site Bed & Breakfast is available for your convenience as well: Amanda's Bequest - A heritage immersion farm-stay B & B (with all the comforts you seek!).
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Livonia, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday Weekend!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had the BEST experience this weekend up in Montague. learned SO MUCH about baking AND made some DELICIOUS food! SUCH GOOD FOOD!!! what a great group of people, lots of fun, laughter and old fashion family love. We didn't feel like we were in a class but instead visiting family for a fun Saturday afternoon.

THANK YOU! cant wait to come visit again soon

<3 the Davis family
-Skip, Rosemary, Melissa, Rick, Stephaine, Sarah & Christopher

Visited October 2013
hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
:) Thank you for your review. We feel very much like we have a grand extended family as we get to know the great people who spend time with us in our heritage kitchen. The fondest memories are made when gathered around the table.

Whitehall, Michigan, United States
“Canning with Val”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My daughter and I had a lovely afternoon experience learning how to can tomatoes and peaches. Val is a terrific instructor. Her kitchen is warm and welcoming. We had a tour of her home and I loved meeting her chickens and ducks and seeing her garden. I would highly recommend Bygone Basics!

Visited September 2013
hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thank you. My daughter(s) and I sure had a lovely time with you in our heritage kitchen! I hope to hear soon that you did some successful canning at home.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My mom and I took a canning class here and had a fantastic time. We have been cooking together for 30 years and decided we wanted to try something new. The class was limited to just the two of us, Valerie and her staff so we got plenty of hands on experience and opportunities to ask question. Valerie did a great job of meeting us at our skill level so things were not over our heads but also are not repetitive to what we already knew. We learned two forms of canning, pressure and water bath, along with the most secure and safe methods to ensure we had a great end product. We went home with nine items and Valerie fed us an amazing true farm to table lunch complete with the best pumpkin pie I have ever had in my life. Valerie is funny, kind and incredibly knowledgable in her craft. She went above and beyond to make sure we had a great, memorable afternoon. I would recommend her classes and her beautiful bed and breakfast to anyone. Had a great time and would happily do again!

Visited September 2013
hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
You two were so much fun. Your Experience here in the Bygone Basics kitchen was truly a pleasure. Let us know if there are any follow-up questions! Hope to see you again in the future!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Awesome concept and a can't miss experience!”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Valerie was a wonderfully knowledgeable baker. She tought us things we will use for the rest of our lives! She and her husband, John, were terrific hosts and could not have made us feel more welcome. We highly recommend this hands on experience!

hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
We really appreciate the time you took to do a review. John and I are so pleased that you both enjoyed your experience at Bygone Basics. We stand by our comment that those were outstanding pies! :) We enjoyed your company as well and hope to see you again!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“ABSOLUTELY worthwhile and enjoyable - a must do in Montague!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I had a lovely experience taking a apple pie baking class with my boyfriend. He surprised me with our weekend plans and boy did he do I nice job with this one! Valerie and her husband John are absolutely lovely and accommodating. It was just my BF and I so it's very intimate and I don't think they take more than one "party" at a time so you get undivided attention. Valerie was very thorough in teaching us how to make pie (both beginners) from start to finish leaving out no detail and we got to take our pies and recipes home too! That experience alone was well worth the price, THEN I learn that while the pies are in the oven we were having lunch, and like the pie it too was delicious. She prepares seasonable appropriate dishes so we had roast beef with mashed potatoes, homemade bread, fresh tomatoes from her garden, pickled asparagus, green been salad, and cherry cheesecake for desert! Everything was awesome. mWe were there for about 3 hours in total I think (that includes the 45 minute baking time on the pies and lunch).

If you are looking for a nice, relaxing, and fun thing to do in this part of town you definitely, defina, need to try this!!

hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you! John and I had a lot of fun sharing your apple pie Experience. We wondered how long it took before one was cut into! Thank you for choosing to spend a memorable "date day" with us. We hope to see you again soon.