“very nice”
Review of Weathervane Inn

Weathervane Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montague
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Very nice hotel right in Montague, on White Lake. Room was very nice and tidy. I think they recently redid a lot of the rooms, along with new beds. Very comfortable. I had a non-balcony room, next to parking lot, but no issues whatsoever, and still a great room. Bed, couch, table, fridge, microwave, jacuzzi tub, fireplace. I would recommend staying here for anyone wanting a comfortable room.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MI_Traveler_12
There are newer reviews for Weathervane Inn

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We decided to try this hotel as a spur of the moment getaway. The price was steep, but we thought it would be OK for a special treat. The view was pretty, but the place was still in disrepair. We asked to move rooms or get a new Adironidak chair for the deck, the arm had been torn off and there were sharp screws coming through that could easily hurt someone. We moved rooms, were charged more money. This room had a fire extinguisher hanging by wires from the ceiling, completely shredded upholstery on the couch and dining chairs and the deck was warped and had sharp edges where someone could easily cut a foot or trip. The bathroom and shower were quite small. I was really looking forward to the jacuzzi. We couldn't get the plug to work and had to get help from the desk. Once we started the jets, a nasty dead bug was ejected into the water. I guess it hadn't been run or cleaned in a while. The web site said that the beds were new. The mattress was rock hard and very uncomfortable. You could feel every single spring on the mattress on the pull out couch. Air conditioner was also quite loud. For nearly $200 a night, this really was a sincere disappointment. It's fair to stay that we won't be back.

Room Tip: Lakeview rooms will give you a sunset view. Check out the condition of the room before you check in.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank L A
JasonPaulRyan, Public Relations Manager at Weathervane Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

I'm really sorry that your room was not in excellent shape. The chair, Jacuzzi and the fire alarm should have not been in the condition that they were and I will make sure those items are taken care of right away. The furniture in the room is on our next schedule of renovations this summer. In regards to the beds, they have all been replaced within the last 18 months, most within the last 9 months. Could you please contact me directly and we can discuss more about the issues that you had and what room you were in, so I can remedy the situation and refund your money for being charged to move your room? I do appreciate your feedback, as the only way that we can make the hotel better is to hear what we can fix. I do apologize that you had to go through these issues though. My e-mail address is jason@theweathervaneinn.net. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Me and my wife stayed a friday and saturday and it was a beautiful trip. Overall the hotel was very clean the breakfast was a standard continental. The view from our room was gorgeous the room was clean and I loved the nice flat screen tv. I am a bit of a night owl so I had a few pleasant conversations with the guy working at night and the girl who worked the evenings. Kudos to the night staff for a great conversation at 3am. Overall an enjoyable friendly experience most definitely going to be returners.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bob n
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Excellent property to stay at while in this area. Rooms are very clean and updated!

Room Tip: Ask to see room before checking in and get a room with a balcony or deck seating outside.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My Fiance' and I went up here to get away for a weekend last fall. The rooms look in person exactly as they do in the photos and they were pleasant. The breakfast in the morning is a typical continental breakfast with the option to make waffles. The only downfall I thought it had was the location, there were no good restaurants in town. If you want a good restaurant you need to travel fifteen minutes to Muskegon. There is plenty to explore there and it was a beautiful time of the year to go (oct 15th).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We used a groupon, and it was supposed to be a 2-night stay (I bought 2 groupons, therefore 2 rooms). The first night there was great! Crazy things started from the second day noon. We were about to leave for sightseeing, and was told that one of our two rooms had to check out, since it was only booked for 1 night!!!! If I want to stay for the second night, I have to pay $160 for it, since it was new year's eve!

OK, here are some details:

1. When I called to book this two rooms with mentioning the Groupon earlier in December, the lady didn't tell me that my reservation of the two rooms are different! She didn't mention that new year's eve didn't work with Groupon. The result is: One has been booked for 2 nights (including new year's eve), but the other has only 1 night (not including new year's eve)!!! Seriously, they are 2 exactly the same groupons!!!!!! Whose mistake is this?

2. When we arrived the hotel on December 30, 2011 @ 11pm, the guy who handed me 2 forms to sign (registration card? I don't know what is the right word for that form), didn't mention that the 2 forms for those 2 rooms are different. Therefore, later, the staffs insisted that since I signed, I knew those 2 forms had slightly difference on the dates which probably hidden somewhere in the corner on that paper. I requested to see the forms I signed, just want to make sure, the staffs never showed me again. (Right now, I am really doubt that those 2 forms were really different? Why they didn't want me to see it again? Btw, I am pretty sure the amount I had to pay were exactly the same on those two papers (which was the tax, around $30). I guess they just claim for the dates of staying, which I didn't pay attention. However, if the 2 reservations were different, why should I pay the same amount of tax!!! One of them should be half of the other!!!!!)

Conclusion: they gave me a quiz @ 11pm without telling me: FIND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS 2 FORMS! I am sorry, I failed. I can only say, I trusted you, and you throw my trust into the trash.

3. Worst thing is the manager doesn't know how to do business.
We requested to talk to manager, for 3 times, the lady staff talked with the manager through the phone for 20 mins each time, but refused to talk directly with us by saying not available!!!! Finally, the manager was "available", however, she was even worse. I was polite at first, and want to explain the details. She didn't want to listen to me, and shouted at me: "You knew that Dec 31 cannot work with Groupon! You knew that!!! I know you knew that!!!" "Don't make me raise my voice!! I am in the store!!!!" My god! Your stuffs made twice mistakes, they booked me to this date. I didn't request any specific date, only saying that the earliest available time would be fine. Now, you shouted at me? Insisting that I knew YOUR INN'S POLICY?? PLEASE!!!! I THINK IT WILL BE BETTER IF YOU TELL YOUR OWN STAFFS YOUR INN'S POLICY!!!!! TELL THEM GROUPON DOESN'T WORK ON NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!!!!! NOT ME!!!!!

4. First, they asked us for 160 for the second night. They decreased to 99, and then 69 for the new year's eve. EITHER THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO GET MONEY FROM US, OR THEY FELT GUILTY OF CHEATING US!!!!!! Anyway, I have already paid, I will not pay again, even if I lost one room.

Like some other reviews mentioned: the lady staff never smile!!! Plus, she blamed me for all the faults. Her manager was even worse, she shouted at me through the phone and of course, all the faults are THE GUESTS'. Their inn is perfect without any mistake. The guests should know groupon doesn't work on new year's eve. Sadly, their staffs don't have to know this. The guests should take all the responsibility, otherwise pack your stuffs and LEAVE NOW!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
18  Thank lucyclu
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We used a groupon and were very excited to go to what is describe a beautiful inn. We arrived and .waited quite a long time for the girl to get off the phone and make eye contact with us. She never said "Welcome" she never smiled. We asked questions because she offered no conversation. Our room was on the 2nd floor and they have no elevator. The room is right on the edge of needing to be updated. Carpets are not worn but need to be shampooed. The bottom of the tub is again right on the edge needing to be resurfaced. We spent a good 10 mins. trying to figure out how to turn on the fireplace. No instructions and we called down to the desk they "aren't sure how it works" . We were new to this area and they had a book for resturants. We asked for a recommedation and they said that most of the resturants are closed for the season. They suggessted a place downtown and it was the worst food ever. This place has tons of potential. Train your staff! Shampoo the carpet and put instructions on the fireplace. Won't go back. Sorry....

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Love2travel242099
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montague
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Dunes Express Inn & Suites
The Harrington Inn
The Harrington Inn
#1 of 1 in Fremont

Been to Weathervane Inn? Share your experiences!