Jaz Crystal Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Jaz Almaza Beach Resort(Mersa Matruh)
  • Breakfast included
Jaz Oriental Resort(Mersa Matruh)
  • Breakfast included
Jaz Oriental Club(Mersa Matruh)
  • Room Service
Negresco Hotel(Mersa Matruh)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsjaz crystalanimation teamspecial thankskids clubeid vacationopen buffetalmaza baypizzagreat holidayfamily vacationwater poloamazing beachclear waterhotel is greatfamily roombeach volleyballwelcome drink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I don't have one bad thing to say abt this hotel. The holiday was thoroughly enjoyable. Staff were a cut above the rest. Food. . . Delicious. Rep, helpful in every way. We took 3 excursion's and loved them. Me and my boyfriend would definitely go back. I felt safe and very happy. The Jaz chain really do put you first. We had a holiday that we'll never forget and some amazing memories and photo's. :-) :-) :-)

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank spriggsy
mohamed w, Manager at Jaz Crystal Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Dear Sir,
We thank you very much for choosing Jaz Crystal to spend your vacation, we appreciate your valuable comments and we wish to have the pleasure of your accompany once again at Jaz Crystal.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

Really, very lovely hotel, with beautiful rooms and great staff. In 5 years time its going to be very crowded so go before the rush! Only 3 hotels along the front at the moment but they are building more as I write. Food looks gorgeous but unfortunately not much taste. We went in their last week of the season, so space wasnt a issue but not sure how they would cope if completely full. Entertainment is a big issue as there is nothing to do once the sun goes in. Just needed some decent music and we could of made our own entertainment. Rooms very well appointed. Staff were great.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank crippat
mohamed w, Manager at Jaz Crystal Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

Reviewed 5 November 2010

My husband and i went to the jaz crystal for a week all inclusive as our first holiday away without our 4 children. We read some of the reviews before booking, and realised that its not particularly a place that the kids would enjoy as theres very limited activites for the kids .
It was the last week of the season and so there were no italians or other nationalities there, just english guests.
The weather was ok, we did have a rainy day but we went on the quad biking excursion that day, which was excellent - great fun , well worth the £40 each!
There was quite a breeze down on the beach, the sea was like a warm bath and crystal clear! The beach was gorgeous we spent most days there.
The hotel was fabulous really clean and staff were really friendly . The food was ok, some form of beef most days for lunch and dinner - beef curry, roast beef, beef wellington (which was gorgeous!), beef casserole, chicken, burgers, rice, potatoes, salads, roast duck, lamb, fish and pasta.
We noticed the kids only had meatballs fries or pasta every day which wasnt great for them. Breakfast was ok - eggs (fried, hard boiled or omlette), fruit and bizarrely a selection of cakes for breakfast !!!!
We tended have lunch at the fabulous pool bar - burgers, pizza, bread rolls, salad and fries.
We didnt experience any tummy problems at all. The staff assured us the salads and water / ice were all mineral water. We had no problems.
Our room was great! we had a deluxe room with a lounge area, bedroom, bathroom and balcony with sea view, the staff left a different towel display every day on our bed and a little pink cake.
The drinks were good, cocktails fab and although the all inclusive option ends at midnight - the staff were happy to still give us drinks well into the early hours!!!!!
There were only 2 shops open selling souvenirs / gifts.
There was only one other hotel open (the almaza) and the jaz oriental the other side was closed. They had an indoor jaccuzzi and spa which we didnt realise we were also allowed to go and use - this wouldve been great on the rainy day as all of the guests were just sat around in the hotel lobby and terrace area as there really is nothing to do if the weather isnt good.
The pool was quite chilly, so we stuck to the sea as it was so warm!
No entertainment at all, as someone earlier stated the animation team looked like they were on holiday themselves - they didnt really even try to organise anything!!! I think there was a show one evening but we didnt go as we were playing cards with another couple we met, it actually was quite nice just sitting and chatting in the evenings.
The Marsa matruh airport is a military airport so it was very basic, but we didnt spend any time hanging around at all we were on and off the plane in no time, transfer about 40 mins.

We had a lovely relaxing time, and would reccommend it to couples who want to literally just chill out. However we would probably go at a different time of the year to ensure good weather, although it was fairly hot and sunny there was a constant breeze. The last day was the hottest and we really didnt want to leave !! The hotel lat us have our rooms until 2pm and we left at 3pm for the airport which was great.
The only real bad points were as it was the last week of the season, the vodka ran out the day before we came home and the beer was in cans instead, the staff were packing the bars up and shutting down, lights were being taken down and candle decorations put away in the last few days. It wouldve been better if they had waited until all the guests had gone!
There is some building work going on and the intention is for 10 hotels along Almaza bay - at present there are just 3, so i think its great to get there next season before it turns into a busy little resort.
However we got the holiday at a good price. Now we are home we are definatley missing the Jaz Crystal at Almaza bay ;-)

3  Thank rendlesm

Dear Sir,

Reviewed 3 November 2010

Rating this hotel from a scale of 1 to 5 was a little difficult for me because of my experience there with staff. I am also conflicted about whether or not I would recommend this resort because of the following pros and cons:

Pros: The location is absolutely stunning! It was secluded, romantic, and perfect. It rained both days that I was there but I did get a couple hours of sunshine which awesome and sufficient enough for me to enjoy the nice warm beach and fall in love. The water temperature was perfect in Oct. though the weather was gloomy and the rain came and went. The price of the hotel was expensive for Egypt (about 215 USD per night via Expedia.com; but if you wanted to extend your stay and book there it’s about 400 USD… even though the hotel was practically empty. I don’t really get it) The 215 was a great price though for the beautiful beach. My husband and I got the regular superior room which was spacious and had a view of the pool area and beach. I enjoyed the dinner buffet there.

Cons:
Booking difficult-I originally had tried to book this hotel on my own and online using its website but received no response or confirmation so I was worried about my booking. After about a week of waiting I email the actual info/general inquiry for the Jaz travel company and received an email stating that the Jaz Crystal resort should be contacting me soon. They did not so I ended up booking via Expedia. I stayed in Alexandria a week before going to Mersa Matrouh and I took the bus to there.
Location difficult/ name not recognized by cab drivers- At the bus station lots of the taxi drivers did not know the name Jaz Crystal. Then came this one person who I had thought tried to help us out by asking around other taxi drivers for us, but he took my confirmation paper so I was worried and asked for it back but he grabbed my luggage instead which I didn’t like. My husband then told me that he knew where Jaz Crystal was located. I asked him again because he didn’t seem fluent in English and he said yes. I asked him how much and he gave said 10 LE so we got in. He then took us to the Beau hotel and I told him that wasn’t our hotel so he took us to 2 more which I told him no and I wanted off. He then told us wait, wait and went to some restaurants with securities there who spoke English. I told the security that our taxi driver seems lost so I wanted to find a different cab and asked them to please ask him to give us our bags, they spoke in Arabic for a bit looked at my address/confirmation and then security told me that the cab driver knows now. I figured… whatever, we’ve already spent an hour with him, and there were no taxi to be found anywhere so we really didn’t have a choice. He drove us around for another 30min or so and I was really upset because it was now late and I there was nothing on the road but dirt. He finally stopped and I think a check point and got out of the car, was chatting with the guards, had a cigarette and took his time. I was angry by then and my husband had reminded me women aren’t suppose to be so vocal. So he waved his hand and our cab driver came back and asked if we were going to Jaz Almaza and so I couldn’t help myself and reminded him that he was the driver and he’s suppose to know but if all he knew was Almaza then let’s go there. I remember seeing that that was one of the hotels in the Jaz chain so I figured I’d rather get dropped off there and have that hotel send me to the right hotel then waste anymore time. It turned out that it was at the same location as the Jaz Almaza. When we arrived 2.5 hours later, I was angry that we wasted so much time; my husband didn’t have change so he gave the man a 20 instead which I didn’t care too much about because it’s not much in USD. I was upset however because the cabdriver got upset and spoke in Arabic to security and the bell boy who requested us to pay the cab at least 120 LE. I refused it because it was not agreed upon.
Check-in: The front desk did not seem to want us to check-in or proceed with the process. He was interested in why we wouldn’t pay our driver. I explained that we had pay our driver, in fact, we paid him double what he had asked for and double what we had agreed on despite his little stunt. But regardless, I didn’t see how it was relevant us checking-in. I just wanted a bed but the front desk continued to annoy us with questions and explain how the cab driver made a mistake but we should pay him. I had explained to the front desk that the money wasn’t the issue and if the cab driver had informed me ahead of time of the amount then it would not be a problem either. My problem was that the cab driver deceived us, wasted my evening, and then is demanding more money for his mistakes. On top of that I was tired and the front desk wouldn’t give me a room so I asked for the manager which he stated that there none available so I had to give an ultimatum and asked if I was going to get my room or not. I did, half an hour later. I felt bad because the bell boy looked scared of me. So during the rest of our stay we tried to tip generously to everyone,
Room: As mentioned above, our room was huge, spacious, and comfortable but bathroom was not as clean as I had expected for 5 star. There were mold in the tub and shower. I don’t know if it was because I was “mean” that they placed us there… but I didn’t want to be a complaining American decided to just shower with sandals. I felt like we were the only ones in that building. It was kind of eerie.
Amenities- I think there was only one restaurant there unless you want to eat at the other 2 hotels next door. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner was buffet and was around 400 LE for 2 people per meal drinks not included. Other than eating, drinking, and beach, there was really nothing else. The night life there was bad. The hotel is really isolated which is nice and not so nice. My husband and I went down to front desk and asked what was there to do and he basically told us what we knew: eat, drink, or pool. I didn’t even see any entertainment that other reviewers were talking about. It was pretty dead by 8pm, but that’s not a big deal. I got to snuggle with my husband and watch TV. I had ordered breakfast in bed and I hate to complain, but they didn’t or couldn’t get it right. I didn’t ask for anything fancy JUST SIMPLY what was on the menu. An American continental, toast, and fruit. The poor server came to our room thrice bringing more jam flavors, more bread and never our bacon or fruit. So I called and told them it was ok, I no longer needed the fruit. After I had cancelled, our fruit came. No free wifi at all and no paid internet option in the room. Paid internet is only accessible in the lobby.
Other services- I asked about tours and day trips around the area because in the guest book there was a section that said “contact us for tours and travel arrangements.” First call, the person who picked up told me that it was my responsibility to arrange my own plans. I told my husband and we decided that that was strange and almost a little rude so I called again and this time the person was nice but told us that unfortunately they didn’t accommodate Americans. There were Italian tours, Russians, etc. but no American. I asked about their limo service (just a regular car) and they were able to drive us back to Alexandria so we could catch the train to Cairo. It was funny though because when we went with the driver the staff all started talking in Arabic and then the same front desk person who checked us in said to us, “you make sure you pay him. You know how much it is.” I guess the whole time our service was probably awkward because we were the Americans who didn’t pay. Our limo ride was 766 LE.

Overall, the experience was disappointing but that 3 hour on the beach was so nice that I am conflicted about whether or not recommend. It was so beautiful that I would say go there but don’t expect anything more the beach. I think next time I visit Mersa Matrouh, I am going to look really hard to see if there are any other resort option.

1  Thank KiwiMochi

Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for choosing Jaz Crystal to spend your vacation, rest assure that your valuable comments will be highly considered, please accept our sincere apology for any service conflict you had through your stay with us, looking forward to welcome you again at Jaz Crystal

Reviewed 3 November 2010

Just came back from 2 weeks at the Jaz Crystal through First Choice and enjoyed the break away. The hotel is in a good location. the beach is simply stunning, one of the best i have ever been to, comparable with beaches in the Carribean. The pool is large and the bar is well located. We where AI and with that we got free drinks all day. The cocktail list though for AI is limited so be warned, not EVERYTHING is free!
As for the rep, Kay was great but the British animation team where to be quite honestly lazy as hell (they where italian too!). They did nothing and looked to be on a holiday themselves. How they got paid for that i would love to know, sounds like a great job! (One didnt come out all day because he had a tooth ache!!!) It would be very unfair to label Bianca in that lot though, she could always be seen working with the kids and she was always around, but the others where simply already clocked off for the year i think and would be very surprised if the hotel persists with them next season.
The waiters and bar staff where great and in reception everything was dealt with brilliantly.
The Food! I read alot on here and didnt know what to expect and decided i would simply wait and make up my own mind, and i did...Its poor! But let me clarify what i mean by that, for a 4/5* Resort it fails to met my expectations. There was certainly enough edible stuff on a daily basis, but dont go there expecting 5* meals, more like 2/3 star. Some nights where better than others though. We both got a stomach bug whilst there and a few other people we met did too. take precautions!
We also went on trips to Cairo which is a massive long day, beware of the locals in Giza Pyrimids taking your photo and not giving you back your camera till you have paid them 50 LE! The Sand Buggy trip was the highlight though and well recomended, but the shopping trip into town was simply a waste of time and money.
All in all i am glad i went, but i think the resort failed to met my expectations with the food and the fact the season was ending meant that everything/one was in wind down mode (The hotel looked like a work site as they prepared to shut down for the next 4 months as well), but i think the cheaper price offered for the holiday took this into account.
I would endorse the place but don't let appearances confuse you! Its a nice get away, but in no way is this place 5 star luxury...