Stayed at the Jaz Almaza Beach Resort between 20th – 27th July . As always, we had read mixed reviews about the resort and the destination, however it seemed to be the sort of thing we were looking for ie a relatively inexpensive short break for a family of 6.
In the event, it exceeded our expectations.
The transfer is around 45 minutes, and is the time to get used to the security that accompanies tourists whenever they set foot outside the hotel. Its not particularly intrusive, but it’s there pretty much all of the time, and usually comprises some sort of armed guard.
The coastline is stunning, and the hotel very well appointed and run. Check in was quick and efficient with a bell boy service for cases. Strictly speaking we had missed dinner on our arrival night, but it was our first encounter with Mohammed the restaurant manager who found us a late table and made sure that we were made welcome. Very obliging and always helpful, he looked out for us for the whole week and made our stay especially enjoyable.
Three of our children have a severe nut allergy, and it’s always a bit of a worry trying to make sure that they avoid anything that will give them a bad reaction. We were stood inspecting the desserts one night when we were approached by chef Ahmed el Esawy. He is an extraordinary individual. His English is faultless, and once he understood our dilemma, he went out of his way each night to ensure that we knew what was on offer, even to the extent of preparing individual dishes for us which he served personally. Although it would be easy to be cynical about his motivation, he seemed genuinely concerned to provide the best service he could deliver, and I know that he is keen to move on to more prestigious hotels. His ability means that he almost certainly will; catch him while you can!
Some harsh words have been said about the imbalance between facilities for the English guests compared to Italians. If you see it as a split resort, then it may feel one-sided – if like us you simply use the place as a whole and take the benefit from both cultures, then those sorts of concerns simply don’t arise.
As always, service improves with a modest degree of tipping. Its not essential, but the occasional £1 (roughly £10LE) goes a long way, and can make an enormous difference to the level of service.
In summary, for what we paid the holiday represented fantastic value for money. The hotel appears to have been recently refitted to a high standard throughout, and is spotlessly clean. Don’t believe the nonsense about “avoiding the ice”. Mersa Matruh has the look of a place which is targeted for growth and will probably be unrecognisable in a few years time – go and visit while it’s still relatively unspoilt. (email the resort beforehand if you want a particular type of room – I asked for a specific mix of twins and doubles with sea views – all arranged as per request at no cost)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- nestles on the Mediterranean Sea, just 38 km east of Mersa Matruh on the northern coast of Egypt. Breathtaking views and the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean combine with the fine white sands of Almaza Bay to provide the best in an Egyptian and Mediterranean holiday. Jaz Almaza Beach Resort sits sympathetically with its Mediterranean style architecture and provides a complete range of five-star facilities, amenities and service. Here, you can experience a holiday to Egypt that is relaxing and life affirming. Luxuriate in spacious rooms and savour lavish cuisine. Indulge in a variety of sports and recreational activities all within the impressive environment of this finely-appointed resort. The hotel's greatest attraction is its safe, secluded beach and bay. Experience one of the best-kept secrets of the southern Mediterranean Riviera with all the warmth, hospitality and attentive service you would expect from any Jaz resort including a shuttle service to and from Matruh Airport (upon request) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Odigeo, Agoda, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Jaz Almaza Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jaz Almaza Beach Hotel Mersa Matruh
- Jaz Almaza Beach Resort Egypt/Mersa Matruh