“Go and Visit Before it Changes”

Jaz Almaza Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Mersa Matruh
Bath
“Go and Visit Before it Changes”
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Stayed at the Jaz Almaza Beach Resort between 20th – 27th July . As always, we had read mixed reviews about the resort and the destination, however it seemed to be the sort of thing we were looking for ie a relatively inexpensive short break for a family of 6.

In the event, it exceeded our expectations.

The transfer is around 45 minutes, and is the time to get used to the security that accompanies tourists whenever they set foot outside the hotel. Its not particularly intrusive, but it’s there pretty much all of the time, and usually comprises some sort of armed guard.

The coastline is stunning, and the hotel very well appointed and run. Check in was quick and efficient with a bell boy service for cases. Strictly speaking we had missed dinner on our arrival night, but it was our first encounter with Mohammed the restaurant manager who found us a late table and made sure that we were made welcome. Very obliging and always helpful, he looked out for us for the whole week and made our stay especially enjoyable.

Three of our children have a severe nut allergy, and it’s always a bit of a worry trying to make sure that they avoid anything that will give them a bad reaction. We were stood inspecting the desserts one night when we were approached by chef Ahmed el Esawy. He is an extraordinary individual. His English is faultless, and once he understood our dilemma, he went out of his way each night to ensure that we knew what was on offer, even to the extent of preparing individual dishes for us which he served personally. Although it would be easy to be cynical about his motivation, he seemed genuinely concerned to provide the best service he could deliver, and I know that he is keen to move on to more prestigious hotels. His ability means that he almost certainly will; catch him while you can!

Some harsh words have been said about the imbalance between facilities for the English guests compared to Italians. If you see it as a split resort, then it may feel one-sided – if like us you simply use the place as a whole and take the benefit from both cultures, then those sorts of concerns simply don’t arise.

As always, service improves with a modest degree of tipping. Its not essential, but the occasional £1 (roughly £10LE) goes a long way, and can make an enormous difference to the level of service.

In summary, for what we paid the holiday represented fantastic value for money. The hotel appears to have been recently refitted to a high standard throughout, and is spotlessly clean. Don’t believe the nonsense about “avoiding the ice”. Mersa Matruh has the look of a place which is targeted for growth and will probably be unrecognisable in a few years time – go and visit while it’s still relatively unspoilt. (email the resort beforehand if you want a particular type of room – I asked for a specific mix of twins and doubles with sea views – all arranged as per request at no cost)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
mohamed w, Manager at Jaz Almaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 January 2017
Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for choosing Jaz Almaza Beach to spend your vacation, we appreciate your valuable comments and we wish to have the pleasure of your accompany once again at Jaz Almaza Beach.

M. Wafa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We've just returned from an excellent fortnight at the Almaza.

The Almaza is a great hotel, with wonderful, helpful staff, good food and a stunning beach.

The bad reviews, in my opinion, are not justified and appear, on the whole, to come from people who want to experience the UK in a foreign country. Go to Blackpool, I say!! Enjoy the cultures of your host countries and respect the cultural differences.

With regards the Italian Bravo team, contrary to many reviews, I found them all exceptionally friendly and accepting and we received daily invitations to join them in their various activities. Liam, Katie, Susie and Jo were good - if you like the same old thing day in and day out (see the comment about Blackpool) with little variation in the routine. They were, however, very friendly and helpful and did their best with the resources available to them.

Che and Samir were very helpful, but it would be nice to have visibility of them around the hotel more.

You are very likely to get a stomach upset (our entire party did) and my advice is to ask Che or Samir for the "yellow" tablets immediately - we left it for 4 days before we sought help and then found that the pills worked within hours!!

The hotel staff were very friendly and always smiling. The waiters were particularly bubbly and my 5 year old son made great friends with Fathy the "pizza and BBQ" chef.

The pool and beaches were lovely; all spotlessly clean. My comment about the "segregated" pools would be that it is quite nice to have a "quiet" pool and a more "rowdy" one, it's just a pity that there is a desire for a split along racial/cultural lines!! Being Southern African by birth, I find this bigoted attitude particularly unsavoury and it reminds me of the "old" South Africa that I suspect all of the proponents of the "Brit/Italian split" mentality, in many of these reviews, would condemn!!

Overall, a very relaxing and enjoyable 2 weeks in the sun. A definite "recommend".

• Stayed July 2010

liverpool
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Although I really enjoyed my stay here and I would not want to put anyone off, there are things that this hotel just needs to change if whats to keep its status as a five star resort.
Rooms
Good: Really good size, clean, lovely decor
Bad: Housekeeping seemed to slip as the week went on with them usually just piling all of our belongings up in the corner as to make it look neater. Bedding and towels were not changed daily (5*??)
Food: All inc Something to suit everyone I think Overall quite good, with a good selection of Snacks available at the pool bar. Although I would advise anyone travelling to Egypt to take Diarolyte or similar along as everyone I spoke to on the holiday seemed to have delhi belly!
Drink: Good selecton of Wines Spirits, Local Beer Sakara? is good. Cocktails are lethal!
However poolside softdrinks are self service, in small plastic cups (literally one mouthful gone) several trips to the bar are needed. Why the dont serve the soft drinks in the reusable, much larger plastic cups that they serve other drinks in is beyond me?
Entertainment: Ok heres were the negatives come into play....
Good: Liam and Katie the British Reps are fantastic at what they do. Liam being the more experienced is really focused on making sure everyone has a good time and his efforts seem to go unnoticed by either Thompson or the Hotel as he does not seem to have the equipment or budget that he needs to make his job easier.
Bad: The Itallians have an animation team of 20 plus compared to the british 2 man team???? There is plenty of Italian entertainment throughout the day and night (non english speaking I may add). The pool that the British people tend to accomodate is advertised in the Italian brochures as the quiet pool and so music is removed from 1pm to 3pm? The Italians seem to benefit from entertainment all day long.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday, this was completely down to Liam the Thompson entertainment rep and without him there I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone. I just think he needs a little support from the hotel and things would greatly improve.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for choosing Jaz Almaza Beach to spend your vacation, rest assure that your valuable comments will be highly considered, please accept our sincere apology for any service conflict you had through your stay with us, looking forward to welcome you again at Jaz Almaza Beach.

UK
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We went for our honeymoon and whilst impressed with the sand, sea and resort we were far from happy with the allocation of room. Having booked a double superior and notified Thomson that it was our honeymoon, we were allocated a twin 'single-bedded' room above the Bravo sound system and Towel changing hut. On our first morning we were rudely awoken by the sound of the Bravo team and on looking out found ourselves privy to lots of workers sitting behind the hut!

After speaking with the Thomson reps we eventually moved (3 days later) to what we were told was 'one of the best rooms in the resort'. The room had excellent views, a fruit basket, bathrobes, slippers, complimentary water (yes it really was free), several brand new publications and a beautiful towel arrangement. Whilst happy with the move, the room was still well below 5 star standard.

What was interesting about this room was the fact that EVERY NOTICE and I mean EVERY notice and guide were written in Italian followed by English. I note this because the guides in our original room were English followed by Italian. Of all the English people we spoke with it appeared that they too had been allocated 'poor man's abodes ' with guides written in English then Italian.

Whilst several people complained about tummy problems we did not experience any but this I believe was due to the fact that we did not partake of the ice in our drinks. On the second day, I thought my drink tasted funny and had a strange odour. I had smelt the odour somewhere but could not place it. I refused to drink anything other than what was in a sealed bottle for the rest of the day. The following day the cleaner used a spray cleaner in our room whose odour was identical to the smell in my drink?

Whilst I am not casting aspersions, it did make me wonder and I then ordered two identical drinks with and without ice. I found that the drink with ice had the same taste and strange odour as that emitted by the cleaning spray. I can only surmise that maybe the glasses are not thoroughly rinsed or the ice maker is cleaned using the same solution???

Overall the holiday was excellent. The core resort staff were outstanding! The Bravo entertainment team were very accomodating and went to great efforts to include everyone in their activities regardless or race, creed, or language. I only wish that I could say the same for the Thomson entertainment team.

At the reception event we were introduced to the Thomson entertainment team headed by a chap called Liam. This man proved to be the most bigotted individual that I have ever had the misfortune to meet and cannot understand why Thomson would allow him to represent their organisation? Throughout our stay, Liam went to great efforts to pass negative comments about the italian guests, the Bravo team and what he felt was discrimination on the part of the Jaz Hotel. We even witnessed him shouting at a member of hotel staff on the terrace. Liam went as far as allowing a Union Jack to be placed over a notice board on our last night. this upset both English and Italians resulting in several of us refusing to enter the 'British Bar''.

Whilst the Bravo team were lovely the Thomson entertainment team seemed to spend the bulk of their day drinking at the 'British Bar' when they were supposed to be working with guests. Liam drank to excess and became more aggressive and loud with each drink. This is no exaggeration and I have complained in writing to Thomson.

I can only hope that Thomson take note and ensure that all guests are provided with the opportunity to engage in all forms of entertainment rather than being told by the Thomson entertainment team to 'stay on the Brits side'. it really was a disgrace and the only real blot on an otherwise excellent holiday.

1 Thank BellBoy01

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I just got back from a week at the jaz almaza and I absolutely loved it. After all the reviews read on trip advisor, me and my partner really thought that we were going to have a big disappointment. So we were very surprised to find a very spacious room with a queen bed and a nice big shower. Our room was cleaned every morning around lunch time, although I was quite disappointed to find out that our cleaner only adorned our bed 3 days and other guests at the hotel had something different everyday.
The all inclusive was a total success for us. This was our fist time enjoying an all-in holiday and although we read horrible things about the food we enjoyed it so much that in a week we both put on weight. There was a lot of variety and the grill outside always had nice treats in the evening. When it came to the alcohol I enjoyed most of the cocktails but their alcohol it was not as strong as the one we are all used to. So if you would like a proper drink you will have to pay for it and it is quite expensive. Drinks are only free up till midnight so I advise you to stock up with an extra 2 or 3 around 11.45.
Now about the beach...thats definitely what i call egypt's best kept secret! Soft white sand, clear water and a little breeze that makes the whole atmosphere so magical. So quiet, not over-crowded, with plenty of sunbeds. There is also a beach bar but make sure you use the one next to the hotel as the other ones you will have to pay for it. We went to the beach every afternoon, using the swiming pool in the morning. This one was also very quiet and very clean or you would have the option of the italian pool (as they call it) where loads of activities do happen and the brits are more than welcome to participate.
Our entertainment team at the hotel, especially Liam, are trying they best. Every afternoon you have a "pool quizz" with some hard questions! In the morning there is also water polo. Although in the evenings there was a few activities in the english bar, we mainly did go to the italian side as they had dancing and live music, also was mainly outdoors.
We went to Cairo and although very tiring was worth every penny. Saw the Citadel, the Cairo Museum and Giza where you will find the beautiful site of the pyramids. The hotel send a armed guard on this trip but in all honesty he did not do anything!
We also did the ultimate desert adventure and it was so much fun!!! Very much recommended.
On our last day we got the relax and fly that entitles you to a very nice massage and a late check out.
Please do not be put off by the other reviews I will definitely be back here before they turn it into another sharm.

1 Thank sara1898193

scotland
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Myself and my partner have just returned form a 2 week stay at the Jaz Almaza and found it excelent. The staff are ver very friendly ,helpful and will do anything to help you. I read some reviews before i went and didnt know what to expect as they where very negitive but on reading futher i think the reviews have came from the Fish supper squad who go abroad to eat english food drink english beer and mix with English speaking people WELL GO TO BLACKPOOL. As i said the staff where very helpfull ,rooms where clean ,large selection of food daily,if there wasnt something u liked all u needed to do was ask and they would make u what u wanted. We the english speaking folk have only started using this resort so yes it is mostly Itailian (Doh ) the Bravo team where firendy and tried to make conversation every day with us.We dont help ourselves by not mixing and sitting in our own we spot now called the ( English pool ) come on folks get your head out of the sand and go on holiday to enjoy the experience not to fall into the trap of us and them. Its a fab place go and enjoy it

3 Thank ulster1690

Lincoln
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Beach and sea wonderful. White soft sand and clear blue sea.
Friendly Staff. I disagree with some comments about the Bravo Staff, we found them great, very friendly, although we don't speak Italian. They were always happy and made effort to talk to us, which is more than can be said for the English team who seemed very much to only bother with "their" select few favourites.
Most things have already been commented on and it is a case of "taste and see" for yourself.
Make friends with the staff and they will look after you.
Special mention to Ahmed in the Main Restaurant, Waleed at the Beach Bar and Mohamed our cleaner. All were excellent.

A few tips though:
If you want to drink decent whiskey whilst there buy a bottle (or two) at duty free at Airport to take with you as the local brand is very poor and to buy decent one on site is very expensive.(and not included in All Inclusive)
There are 9 coat hangers in wardrobe so if you have more than 9 things between you to hang up take coat hangers with you.
Make sure you take enough cosmetics, hairspray, suncream etc as some of it hard to find on site and some very expensive.

We both got stomach problems/diahorrea and 4 days after returning are still having great problems. Not sure what causes this (the Hotel appears very clean) but it is NOT going from hot to cold as suggested by Reps. We have never had this problem in Mexico, Cyprus, Dominican Republic etc....
This does need addressing as it seems to have affected most people at some time. One person told us that there was a queue for the Doctor most mornings (although we never went) £100 for 2 injections and some tablets.

1 Thank 3astwood

#44 of 52 in Dahab
Caesar Bay Resort
Caesar Bay Resort
#3 of 14 in Mersa Matruh

Been to Jaz Almaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!