“Where shall I start....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jaz Almaza Beach Resort

Jaz Almaza Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Mersa Matruh
“Where shall I start....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

Before i begin I would like to say that I have been to far lower standard resorts and found nothing to complain about so for thoses that say " ignore the moaners" this
is just my oppinion!

To begin with we arrived at the airport and having done my homework I was prepaired to pay the entry fee of £13 each however oheres were not pre warned of this. We arrived at the resort In time for the remains of the evening meal which I decided to have however this was pretty ropey but believing that it had been there a while I made excuses! The resort looks lovely in the dark and I was equally please in the light, the grounds are very well maintained! I have to stay that the standards of food did not improve through out the druation of our stay! We even got to the point where we were avoiding lunch time meals because the food was that awfull which is a shame being all inclusive! I realise that you do not have to eat for the sake of it however we were genuinely hungry! I am a fussy eater however my boyfriend is not and will pretty much eat anything and even he had had enough! I decided to try the kids chicken thinking how bad could that be... I was disappointed to find it pink inside and hardly cooked, not good! The deserts are all mass produced and fake again avoided! The beach is nice enough and the sea is clear however and be very rough at times! Do not make the same mistake that we did this is not a part of Egypt for snorkeling unless you want to see a large metal pipe, there are very few fish! In all, this is a very disappointing resort and there were many couples that we spoke to that could not wait to leave! The rooms were of a good size and comfortable! The only good part of this holiday was the company and I shall not be returning anytime soon as I said this is only my oppinion!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Franny04
mohamed w, Manager at Jaz Almaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 January 2017
Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for choosing Jaz Almaza Beach to spend your vacation, rest assure that your valuable comments will be highly considered, please accept our sincere apology for any service conflict you had through your stay with us, looking forward to welcome you again at Jaz Almaza Beach.

M. Wafa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Arabic first
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

This hotel is a truly wonderful place. Not only are the staff lovely but the actual resort is beautiful. I can only say that the people who complain on here but be completely stuck up or in need of a reality check. Yes the food isnt the best that I have come accross and also does become repetitive but isnt that always the case on an all inclusive. This is the only gripe that I could find, as otherwise this is a lovely place to stay. We got back on 28th September and are already looking to go back next year. The staff are lovely and willing to help in any way. Liam and Katy are a credit to Thompson, they put on some fab entertainment both day and night. Cocktails are leathal! Make sure you ask for the all inclusive menu. Yes generally speaking there are far more italians here, and they are rude, but hey you ignore them and no matter where you go you will be surrounded by foreigners. The pool without the bar is english entertainment and the little club by the tennis courts is where all the english go at night. Me and my partner needed a relaxing break (were 25/31) and this is exactly what we got. We spent most days by the pool or on the stunning beach and if thats what your after then this place is perfect as the resort is all you have. Do not go on the trip to the town!!! This place is not yet accepting of tourists! You dont feel safe! But this resort, beach, and people are just wonderful and yes the food is not the best ever but more than adequate. We did both get the upset tummys and the tablets from Che the rep worked within a day. He also is very nice and always around if you need him. One thing i would say is thank you in Arabic is "shookra" and the staff really appreciate it if you use it. They treated me and my boyfriend as friends just because we made an effort. Book through Thompson Platinum hotels and you get beach facing apartments, ours was much bigger than those who hadnt. Fab holiday and going go go back again soon. Prob not the best for little kids but teenagers would be ideal

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dani1985_10
Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for choosing Jaz Almaza Beach to spend your vacation, we appreciate your valuable comments and we wish to have the pleasure of your accompany once again at Jaz Almaza Beach.

plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

this was our first holiday without children,so it was always going to be good.the hotel is really good perhaps not quite 5 star but beach location is fantastic. the sand is white and powder fine,the sea is crystal clear.our hotel room was very nice,very spacious.liam and katie(thomson animation team)are very helpful and entertianing.this hotel resort is excellent for those who want too relax but please be aware there is a bug in the egyptian air that will give you belly/bum troubles not everybody gets it just an unlucky few.if you're planning to visit this hotel you'll love it

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

My hubby and i have just returned from the Jaz Almaz beach and had a fantastic 2 weeks holiday.I think you need to go and find out for yourselves rather than listening to what other say. We had a brilliant day in Cairo even though it was 39 degs you cant go to Egypt and not see the Pyramids and the Shpinx well worth the 90 quid each and a lovley 3 course meal in with it. and a trip to Mersa Matruh at night, that was an experience all the locals not really used to the tourists yet but it was enjoyable glad we did it.
The room was cleaned daily and fresh linen on the beds daily (by Wanney) we only saw 2 women the whole time in the resort all run by men Wanney was excellent and made us numerous towel designs on the bed for when we returned to the room.
Yes this hotel was closing down for the season but it didnt spoil it for us the sun,sea,sand and hotel were worth it.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

We arrived at approx 9pm to a very small military Airport. This was not a problem as had done our homework first and considering it was a military airport our flight was processed very quickly and efficiently.
When we arrived we were offered a non alcholic cocktail and considering there were 3 coaches arriving at the same time again we were all checked in very quickly.
On expection of our rooms we found them to be a good size, Bathrooms lovely (marble with walk in shower) and beds comfortable. Warning for parents!!! childrens beds are concrete settes with cushions on that are a drop of two foot from the tiled floor. We put cushions on floor at night and most other parents we spoke to did the same as the children all constantly fell ot of bed, due to the very narrow width of the bed.
The pool and general area's of the hotel were well maintained and their seemed to be plenty of staff working hard maintaing grounds.
This is where I have to say we have travelled around the world extensively and stayed always in 4 and 5 star hotels so feel we have gained a wealth of good experience to compare this hotel with.
The food and service is where it all goes down hill. I have to say this was our 4th time to Egypt and have never experienced such bad service. Drinks are never brought to you round the pool or in the restaurant/evening bars. When you do order drinks it seems that they cant seem to get the orders right and will just give you what they want too. Tables are not regularly cleared, the staff seem to take you glass away if its not empty but leave the empty beer cans on the table for you to stare at all night. (Yes that's right beer served to you in cans in a 5 * platinum hotel)
The food is not very varied at all, and even if you get there at 7pm opening time for the restaurant the food is only luke warm. one member of our party was very ill from food poisoning and we called the hotel doctor out and waited for 2 hours and he still had not arrived. (This is apparently 24hr call out) Even the maid call reception twice to chase him up as he was more concerned then reception or the Doctor seemed to be.
It soon became apparent after speaking to other guests that every family except one that I spoke to had at least one member of their family struck down with diarriah or sickness. Some even being put on drips in their rooms. The hotel doctor I think to be honest could probably do with a holiday himself!!!
Finally this is a hotel clearly for the Italians dont be fooled by the Thomsons name it doesent mean a thing. The English are put in a seperate block by the smaller pool and facilities offered to the English are very limited. We knew from reveiews that the entertainment was all in italian but were some what unprepared for the italian animation team from Butlins who were very loud, rude and completely blanked the English. The Hotel clearly favours the Italians. English guests were kicked off there normal tables for groups of Italians in the restaurant and if you want to go to the bar or to the toilet whilst watching the evening entertainment dont expect yor chair to still be there when you get back as the Italians would taken anything not bolted down. It became very much a case of England V Germany and I have to say I hve never experienced anything lik this before and really spoiled my enjoyment of the holiday.
Will I go back? No!!!! to sum it up BEAUTIFUL BEACH AND HOTEL FACILITIES BUT SHAME ABOUT THE SERVICE AND FOOD.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Sun-1601

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

If you want to completely relax and get away from it all this is the place for you. This is quite a new resort, there is little if nothing in the way of entertainment outside of the hotel. Plenty of activities throughout the day from aqua aerobics, french boules, water polo, beach volleyball, pool, quizzes etc. Night time entertainment is limited. The hotel is beautiful, clean, spacious has several pools, bars and restaurants. Beach is heavenly with golden sands, turquoise waters and palm trees, it is a private beach and again kept very clean. No problems with the room, it comes with a free safe. Mini bar which is not part of the all inclusive neither is bottled water although once you buy a bottle you can refill it from the water cooler free of charge. Food buffet style although the are specials every night as well as theme nights too. The staff are really friendly and nothing is too much trouble, no problems with people asking for tips either. Really enjoyed ourselves.

Willenhall, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

We had researched the Hotel & Area before arriving, so we were well prepared to be isolated, and tied to the complex - which for two Sun Worshippers isnt a problem, my philosophy is I work 48 wks a year, I just want to go and chill, and your Holiday is what you make it.
We arrived at Mersa Matruh Airport (Millitary - which we knew), and all filed into a small immigration hut, and to be honest, we were through and out on the Coach in no time, so no problems there.
We arrived at the Hotel around 10pm, and was advised that the Restaurant was still open if we wanted something to eat, we agreed that we would book in, then head for the Bar, and have a night cap - after a couple of nightcaps, we thought we had better find our rooms, which we did, and were well impressed - very big - clean - good views over the (English) Pool - bed very comfortable (as I normally suffer with a bad back - didnt suffer at all). Next morning we got up, and headed for our first meal - Omelletes were good, and Eggs whichever way you wanted them, plenty of fruit, cheese and meats, after filling up, we decided to sit on the Terrace and wait for the welcome meeting, Now for our first negative point - the bar opened, so we wondered on up, and asked for 4 Orange Juices, "Sorry No Orange Juice yet" - he then tried to pour me a Pear Juice (one of my most hated fruit - yuk), ok I`ll have 3 Coffee`s and 1 Diet Coke - "No Diet Coke" - ok 4 Coffees !!

We gave the Welcome meeting a miss, simply because, we had researched, we knew what they had to offer, and the trips available.

The Italians dominated the Hotel for the most of the 2 weeks we were there, they were obnoxious - and some of there animation team were the same - All the Italians went home on 15th October - so the Hotel was quite pleasant with only curteous Brits remaining - but everything else seemed to go with them - they closed most of the Bars, closed our Restaurant - and the food seemed to plummit.

Good Points - Good Value for Money (However price has increased considerably now) - Beds are comfortable - Food is edible - Most Staff are very pleasant , even down to the Pool Cleaners - Beach is nice (although some people dont know what an Ashtray is for), and Sea is Crystal Clear, Pools are kept really clean.

Negative Points - I would not class it as a 5* I know you shouldnt compare other Hotels from other countries, but we stayed in a 3* Maldives Hotel, which would knock this into fits.
Bars - Ran out of Orange Juice most days, No Diet coke for the duration of our stay, No Tomato Juice only at 1 Bar, and no Barcadi (not even there own) - No Waiter Service - we tipped our 2nd day there, as we always do, plenty of waiters clearing the glasses, and many a time we asked for drinks, but we never got them, asked for Vodka & Orange one evening and got a Vodka & Mango ( I then felt awful for not drinking it)
Restaurant - Food was repetitive - 3 Nights running we had Beef Ragout !!! Never had a problem with getting a Table in the Restaurant, but always had problems finding one that was laid correctly - for the amount of staff they had working their, I dont know what there problem was, but you would get a Table half laid, or not laid at all (staff standing about), we would have to set it up ourselves !!! - No Orange Juice some days at Breakfast and they tried to convince you that Mango was the same !!
Rooms - Very Comfortable - Beds were really comfy - and linen & towels very clean, however - Housekeeping not up to scratch - never swept the balcony, except once when we had a sand storm, and never swept in the bathroom, first holiday I never took Flannels with me, we had them in the bathroom for our first 2 days, when they had been used, they never replaced them, some days we would have 1 hand towel, and 1 Bath Towel, other days we had 2 of each - not consistent (hence they did not get a 2nd tip), I felt Bathroom was not as clean as it should have been for 5*
Pool - "The English Pool" very nice - no problems with getting a Sunbed - but water was very cold!! - the following week the Italians all went home, so all the entertainment was moved to the Italian Pool - and I was surprised in the difference in temperature - it certainly was slightly heated !!
Entertainment - Considering that the English were the 2nd class citizens at the hotel, Liam & Kate worked well to make everyones holiday a success, there Morning Antics around the Pool was a treat - and I do believe the evening entertainment was just as good - we didnt bother - we prefer quiet nights in the bar.

Pharoahs Revenge - Yes I had it for 4 days - but the Doctor on site is amazing, and trusting, he gave me the pills, and said come back and see me before you go home - which I did do, and he commented how honest I was, just goes to show, how many dont go back and pay !!

All in All - we had a good holiday, weather for this time of year was hot (108, 104 & 102 on 3 days, but there was a nice breeze so it was comfortable, did I complain about the niggles I had - no i didnt - what was the point - we enjoyed it - but we wont go back.

Finally - Che must get a mention, we only had need to speak to him a couple of times, but he was more than helpful, and works very hard.

• 1 of 5 bubbles

#7 of 15 in Mersa Matruh
Caesar Bay Resort
Caesar Bay Resort
#5 of 15 in Mersa Matruh

Been to Jaz Almaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!