“Dissapointed”

Jaz Almaza Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Mersa Matruh
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We booked this holiday expecting 4-5* standard, it wasnt!
Me & my partner booked this holiday even though some reviews were negative, however went with an open mind.
The hotel itself was very nice and had loovely pool area's, however there is definatly a divide between the nationalities.
This however may be due to this resort originally created for Italian's only. The Italians had a very large entertainment team therefor alot of the activities were run by the Bravo team.
The English entertainment wasnt very good, consisting of the same activities taking place at the same time of every day. No disrespect to the rep's as thay did the best they could with the resources provided but it wasnt for us.
The food was definatly not 5*. It was mainly just 2 large dinner halls, with standard seections of food. Im not particually a fussy eater however I struggled to find thing I liked so mostly just stuck to the salad bar. At lunchtime the chef would make fresh stone baked pizza which was nice however didnt want to eat this every day. Me & my partner both sufferred with dodgy bstomach's as did most of the people we spoke to, resulting in not eating for a few days.
The drinks available were ok but not great. Win, Lager and soft drinks all self service at meal times, any other time you have to ask at bar. The spirits were ok but not a great selection therefor mainly just stuck to the lager.
We were disappointed with the room, especially when a "Deluxe Double Room" is literally 2 single beds puched together with bedding that didnt fit correctly. They werent the comfiest bed's either. It just doesnt seem right that some people are given double beds and some not when there must have been doubles left as the hotel wasnt very busy.
We went on a few trips such as the visit to Cairo which was amazing, and the Ultimate desert experiance which was also great. There was absolutely nothing outside the resort except for 2 other hotels, so you do feel quite iscolated.
The beach however was absolutely stunning. Clear water and not too busy, this was definatly one of the highlights.
All in all the staff were very friendly and helpful however after the first week I was just ready to come home, whcih is quite sad as usually when on holiday I never want to.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank LynseyLeigh
mohamed w, Manager at Jaz Almaza Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for choosing Jaz Almaza Beach to spend your vacation, rest assure that your valuable comments will be highly considered, please accept our sincere apology for any service conflict you had through your stay with us, looking forward to welcome you again at Jaz Almaza Beach.

Reviewed 7 November 2010

Having read some Trip Advisor reviews just after booking we were worried to read reports of widespread sickness and diarrhoea. However when we got there we did not hear of one person who was ill with this and the only reason for having the occasional tummy upset is having one too many beers or cocktails. Tummy bugs are often connected with all-inclusive holidays because it is so tempting to over-indulge. In fact, everywhere in the hotel seemed spotlessly clean. The hotel kitchen had also won an award for cleanliness. However we were there at a cooler time of year so maybe the heat changes this situation in the high season. I would not advise people to go there at the end of October (it was the last week of the season and the hotel was about to close for the Winter) as the weather starts to break then. We had several cloudy days with a little rain and the air temperature was quite cool. The swimming pools were all too cold for most people to swim in and the sea too rough at times for bathing. We used the health complex at the end of the day as the sun started going down about 4.30-5 and it got colder outside. The jacuzzi and sauna were good to use at this time of year but again the indoor pool was unheated so most people did not use it. There were always plenty of sunbeds but of course the hotel was not full. The main plus point in coming here in October was that there were no noisy Italians to spoil the peace! The quiet pool area was also nicer if you don't like very loud techno and hip-hop style music. I do find it strange in this day and age that we need communal music when most people can use ipods or personal stereos to play their own taste in music!

The hotel itself is very smart and well-designed, as were the communal areas. The room was a very good size (a family room was standard) with a nice balcony, a king-sized bed and tea/coffee making facilities. The only reason I did not rate sleep quality as excellent was that our room was very near the bar and evening communal area which was convenient by day but often noisy (due to the loud disco music) by night.

The hotel was miles away from anywhere (37km from the town of Mersa Matruh) and in an area called the Almaza Beach Resort comprising 3 Jazz hotels together and work in progress on building a new complex of apartments on the other side of the Jaz Almaza (on the desert sand!) Although the Jaz Crystal is newer it is a bit OTT inside (more like a gin purple palace!) and the grounds and pools are not as nice as the Almaza which itself is only 2 or 3 years old at a guess.

There was a good variety of excursions on offer. We took the day trip to Alexandria. We had to leave at 6 in the morning and returned at about 7 so it was a long day. It was a 6 hour round trip there and back. As there were fewer than 16 on this trip we had to use a minibus which was air-conditioned but very bumpy - complete bone-shaker on their roads! Alexandria was interesting - we saw some underground tombs (catacombs) with hieroglyphics, some ancient ruins and a new state of the art library, the second largest in the world. But the city was disgustingly dirty, filthy with rubbish and rubble from collapsed buildings. The old colonial buildings we had expected were there but in a poor state of disrepair. we had a nice lunch in one of the grander hotels, a Sofitel. We also visited a citadel but were not given enough time to go inside. The children we encountered were very friendly and all wanted to practise their English and shake our hands. What I especially liked about this part of Egypt was that no one hassled you, not on the beach or in any of the towns, though we gather they do in Cairo. We shared a taxi into Mersa Matruh which took about 40 minutes. We strolled down by the harbour and there is a permanently busy market there every day except Friday (their holy day) selling food, clothes and cheap shoes. Our driver also stopped at the Libyan Market on the outskirts of the town for us to look at the stalls. It is worth the trip for a morning or afternoon to give you a flavour of the local culture.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank TunbridgeWellsSarah

Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for choosing Jaz Almaza Beach to spend your vacation, we appreciate your valuable comments and we wish to have the pleasure of your accompany once again at Jaz Almaza Beach.

Reviewed 1 November 2010

Stayed at the Jaz Almaza 5th - 12Oct. This was only ever going to be a get away from it all relaxing holiday and we certainly achieved that! Having done our research we did have some slight concerns but these were soon forgotten.
Mersa Matruh Airport is a Military Airbase so the arrival Hall is sparse to say the least. The Customs procedure was quick and efficient handled by the Travco Reps who done the Visa's (£13 PER PERSON). It took about 20-25 minutes to get through and onto the coach. IF YOU HAVE A CHANCE GO TO THE BANK DIRECTLY OUTSIDE THE ARRIVAL HALL THE EXCHANGE RATE WAS FAR BETTER FROM POUNDS INTO EGYPTIAN POUNDS!
The trip down to the hotel took about 30-35 minutes. Booking in was fast and efficient and we were quickly show to our room. The actual complex consists of The Jaz Almaza, Jaz Crystal & Jaz Oriental it is miles away from anywhere and completely isolated. So don't expect night Life like Naama Bay in Sharm.
The rooms are large we had two queen sized beds pushed together so the bed was huge. Next to the Balcony is a sitting area which can double up as two beds. HOWEVER, I can see why some parents would have concerns about children sleeping on these
(About a two foot drop onto a hard floor). The walk in shower was large and we never had any problems with lack of hot water or pressure whilst there. Our Towels were changed daily.
A good move on behalf of the hotel was keeping the dining rooms open for our late arrival to get an evening meal.
We found the staff friendly and polite. To be honest they weren’t falling over you to be your best friend and hence get a bigger Tip like some Egyptian Hotels we've stayed in. It probably helped that I speak Arabic (Enough to hold a conversation anyway)! We tipped staff at the end of our stay and it appeared to go into a central box.
Yes this is predominately an Italian Resort but yet again we didn’t have a problem with this. Be polite; make an effort to speak Italian and it works wonders. There was a very large Italian Animation team who far outclassed the poor British effort. It seems the Italian way of life and culture to be family orientated and gather in groups they certainly looked to be more involved than us reserved Brits.
If you’re into the pool culture the 'quieter' pool seemed to be where the majority of British families gathered and had to endure a rather inferior quality sound system pushing out Brit pop hits, cheesy kid’s songs and Rolf Harris along with the daily afternoon Quiz. If that floats you’re boat good luck.
The other large pool (‘the Italian pool') had the Pool and snack bar situated next to it.
The Beach was absolutely fantastic always plenty of Sun beds and shades clean and Tidy. It was never busy but I can imagine it would be in the height of the season. The walk around the Bay was lovely first thing in the morning. The lifeguards work of a Flag system and we had one RED Flag Day where the rough sea and on shore breeze was it near impossible to go in the water, especially for children.
I know some people have complained about the food but we didn’t have any problems. Always plenty of choice if you like Italian pasta (including an actual Italian Pasta chef cooking fresh pasta). The Pizza's at lunch time are freshly made and were outstanding. I could see why families with children might be a bit miffed about the choice probably could do with a better selection of kiddie’s meals besides chips, chicken nuggets and Kofti Kebab. Never had a bad breakfast, again we don’t go on holiday to eat Bacon eggs and Toast. Good choice of breads, fresh fruit, yogurts and Jam.
The Sakkara Beer is fine, served by the glass in the restaurants. Once the staff get to know you there quite happy to give you the whole can at the beach and pool bars. The Red and White wines are fine the stuff out of the bottles is better than the wine out of the large cartons. MMMMM the Rose I can why a previous reviewer said it was awful. We used the up stairs Mezzanine Bar in the evening a lot quieter and did'nt need to dodge the hordes of kids and families using the outside / downstairs lobby bar.
We must be some of the lucky few who have never had Pharaohs’ revenge but I do know of people who did suffer from sickness and upset stomachs.
The Fitness centre is situated between the 'quiet' and 'Italian' pool. The usual spa treatments can be had; my wife didn’t have any this time but the prices weren’t to bad (Certainly comparable with the three corners Group). The indoor pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room ARE FREE!!!! They tended to get busy at the end of the day especially with Italians again my wife never had any complaints. The Gym IS SMALL but again free. There is a booking system for the one treadmill. You can do an adequate work out if it’s busy, but it does help if the people using it know Gym etiquette. (A couple of time I was in there, couples came in with swimming costumes and flip flops to use the Gym equipment what’s that about!!!).
We didn’t do any trips outside the Hotel but they are available through the Thomson Rep. I do know it was long days on the trips to Cairo and Alexandria. There is a row of shops either side of the hotel again we didn’t use them so can't comment of prices etc.
I’m trying to find something to complain about but I really can’t. Would I go to this hotel again? YES but that’s not our way so would probably use the Jaz Crystal next door.
The departure lounge was absolutely rammed when we left for our flight home. I would say it can only hold one outbound flight comfortably so with the Manchester & Gatwick flights crammed in together it didn’t make for a pleasant time.

1  Thank albee751

Reviewed 1 November 2010

Myself and my girlfriend both agree that for a relaxing holiday, where the only aim was to relax in the sun, this hotel is absolutely perfect! If you're looking for anything else other than this, or the organised excursions, this probably isn't the place for you.
We spent our days lay by the expansive, clean pools or on the very well maintained beach and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The food probably wasn't 5* but was certainly better than most people eat at home in terms of fulfulling 3 meals a day and plenty of opportunity to get your 5 a day with the choices worthy of a 4*.
Like many reviews on here, I did catch a stomach bug on the final day of the holiday which had it come earlier would've ruined the holiday, but i'd already accepted this was likely to happen if you're willing to try all the food on offer.
The staff are very friendly, a little too 'nice' to my girlfriend at times, but again, this wasn't a problem, more of a conversational topic over our evening meal.

If you're looking for a relaxing holiday, with nothing around the hotel other than a wonderful clear sea, this is the place for you!

1  Thank Jake7757

Reviewed 27 October 2010

The Jaz Almaza is a very nice hotel on a very nice beach with lovely clear blue water. Our room was large and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The staff where very polite and helpful. The food was ok, not 5 star, but there was plenty of it and there was something for everyone. All in all a very nice hotel for those who want to get away and do nothing.

Now the down side. We booked this as a Thomson Platinum holiday and thought that this was Thomsons top end but we were obviously wrong.

The poolside entertainment was more like the sort of thing that I would expect to find on a cheap Butlins weekend. Music played at 120 decibel by a very cheap sounding DJ. It wouldn't have been so bad if it had been good music but it seemed to consist of old Rolf Harris and Kiddies/euro pop trash.

Also, there where signs at each of the restaurant doors asking people to dress for dinner as you would expect to do in any 5* hotel but unfortunately this seemed to be ignored by 3/4 of the guests, unless 'Dress For Dinner' in some parts of the UK means wear your best football kit.

As the title says, nice hotel, shame about the clientele and entertainers.

2  Thank spiderblue

Reviewed 27 October 2010

Before i begin I would like to say that I have been to far lower standard resorts and found nothing to complain about so for thoses that say " ignore the moaners" this
is just my oppinion!

To begin with we arrived at the airport and having done my homework I was prepaired to pay the entry fee of £13 each however oheres were not pre warned of this. We arrived at the resort In time for the remains of the evening meal which I decided to have however this was pretty ropey but believing that it had been there a while I made excuses! The resort looks lovely in the dark and I was equally please in the light, the grounds are very well maintained! I have to stay that the standards of food did not improve through out the druation of our stay! We even got to the point where we were avoiding lunch time meals because the food was that awfull which is a shame being all inclusive! I realise that you do not have to eat for the sake of it however we were genuinely hungry! I am a fussy eater however my boyfriend is not and will pretty much eat anything and even he had had enough! I decided to try the kids chicken thinking how bad could that be... I was disappointed to find it pink inside and hardly cooked, not good! The deserts are all mass produced and fake again avoided! The beach is nice enough and the sea is clear however and be very rough at times! Do not make the same mistake that we did this is not a part of Egypt for snorkeling unless you want to see a large metal pipe, there are very few fish! In all, this is a very disappointing resort and there were many couples that we spoke to that could not wait to leave! The rooms were of a good size and comfortable! The only good part of this holiday was the company and I shall not be returning anytime soon as I said this is only my oppinion!

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Franny04

Reviewed 24 October 2010

This hotel is a truly wonderful place. Not only are the staff lovely but the actual resort is beautiful. I can only say that the people who complain on here but be completely stuck up or in need of a reality check. Yes the food isnt the best that I have come accross and also does become repetitive but isnt that always the case on an all inclusive. This is the only gripe that I could find, as otherwise this is a lovely place to stay. We got back on 28th September and are already looking to go back next year. The staff are lovely and willing to help in any way. Liam and Katy are a credit to Thompson, they put on some fab entertainment both day and night. Cocktails are leathal! Make sure you ask for the all inclusive menu. Yes generally speaking there are far more italians here, and they are rude, but hey you ignore them and no matter where you go you will be surrounded by foreigners. The pool without the bar is english entertainment and the little club by the tennis courts is where all the english go at night. Me and my partner needed a relaxing break (were 25/31) and this is exactly what we got. We spent most days by the pool or on the stunning beach and if thats what your after then this place is perfect as the resort is all you have. Do not go on the trip to the town!!! This place is not yet accepting of tourists! You dont feel safe! But this resort, beach, and people are just wonderful and yes the food is not the best ever but more than adequate. We did both get the upset tummys and the tablets from Che the rep worked within a day. He also is very nice and always around if you need him. One thing i would say is thank you in Arabic is "shookra" and the staff really appreciate it if you use it. They treated me and my boyfriend as friends just because we made an effort. Book through Thompson Platinum hotels and you get beach facing apartments, ours was much bigger than those who hadnt. Fab holiday and going go go back again soon. Prob not the best for little kids but teenagers would be ideal

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

#8 of 14 in Mersa Matruh
Dyarna Hotel
Dyarna Hotel
#45 of 53 in Dahab

Been to Jaz Almaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!