“What did the Romans ever do for...Oh I see”
Review of Leptis Magna

Leptis Magna
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Al Khums
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the best preserved Roman cities is situated on the Mediterranean Sea.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“What did the Romans ever do for...Oh I see”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Wow as adventures go this was a big one. I visited Libya as my brother worked out there. I found the people lovely and Leptis being the highlight. As you would expect it was very quiet and being able to touch, see and smell the artefacts was wonderful. We got to shout from the amphitheatre and walk in and around the coliseum. I hope people get to view this ancient masterpiece in the future.My visit was in 2009 not April 2012.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Stuartncfc

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Must-see when in Libya”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I went to Leptis Magna with my friends November 2011 as one local friend highly recommended it, we didn't have an idea that our eyes are in for a rare treat of looking right through history 2000 years back. I have been to Cyrene too, and it is packed with history too but Leptis Magna is something that can compare to what Rome boasts as only Leptis is far more reserved and quietly magnificent. When i first set my eyes on it, i knew that Libya has more to offer than what I often hear on the news these days. If you are visiting Libya or traveling in Tripoli never miss this rare chance of seeing one of the most beautiful ruins of ancient history.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank freeyah
Tripoli, Libya
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A treasure”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Visited on a day trip from Tripoli. Declined the offer of a guide and instead used a travel book. I have a keen interest in Roman history and this site was simply fantastic, easily exceeding my expectations. It was, understandably, rather quiet, so we were able to roam as we pleased and take our time at each of the different sections that make up this site. It's difficult to express just how large the ruins are, and while we were there for only 3 hours, you could easily spend a full day.

Entry was 6 LYD (equivalent to £3). Sun was particularly strong and there's little shelter, so would recommend you bring a hat and water. Only downside is it's apparently illegal to swim in ocean off the site, denying us a chance to cool down.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Llyw
Quezon City, Philippines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

The experience to me was incredible. It was my first time to see and experience ruins from the era of the Roman Empire. They say that is the best-preserved ruin of the era, and is still standing to this day. Going to the site (about 120 km from Tripoli). I went on a Friday, which is a holiday in Libya, and there were very few visitors. Also be sure to bring water while touring the ruins because going to the important points would take more than an hour. The tour was made better with Osama guiding us....

Visited June 2012
6 Thank Luie656997
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Uncommercial”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I visited this site about 7 years ago (2005). It is one of those very rare opportunities to see a fantastic historical site before it becomes polluted with commercialism. (The visitor numbers are tiny). It is a big site and if you have any interest or empathy with history then this site is a "must see".

Visited June 2011