“Great wildlife accommodation ok service terrible”
Review of Okaukuejo Resort

Okaukuejo Resort
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights in a cabin a little away from the waterhole which was a bit disappointing but as it was booked by an agent there was not much we could do. Upon arrival you will be asked to go to three different counters, write your name in two different books, wait through several dirty looks and rude women just making booking in as difficult as possible.
Once you get past the poor reception our room was quite ok. It was clean and comfortable and had all we needed.
The meals were nice both dinner and breakfast had plenty of choices. But again the service is poor at best. We waited for more than 30 minutes to first get a waiter and then just as long to get a drink. We were by far not the only ones left waiting.
This place could so easily be one of the best places in Namibia but the staff have no idea how to treat customers. We saw so much wildlife at the waterhole, it was truly amazing.

Room Tip: Take a waterhole chalet if they are available.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Here we had a Double Waterhole Chalet number 4.

Numbers 1, 2, 9 and 10 are a bit closer to the waterhole, but from all Waterhole Chalets you only have to walk a few steps over to benches from where you can overlook the waterhole.

The chalet was ok but especially the bathroom was badly maintained. The “watertap” was so loose that it was difficult to use and water was constantly running in both toilet and sink.
The buffet dinner was quite good and the service likewise.

At the waterhole we saw game coming and going both day and night, among them elephants, impalas, jackals and oryx.

Room Tip: Among the Double Waterhole Chalets numbers 1, 2, 9 and 10 are closest to the waterhole.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peder K B B
Reviewed 5 August 2014

You have to accept Okaukuejo for what it is, the camp where all the people and all the tours stop. We had a chalet near the waterhole. The waterhole is the best attraction at Okaukuejo. We were able to see a huge number of animals, day and night, without getting into our car and driving around.

The water hole chalets are nice, and are air-conditioned. We had some maintenance issues in our chalet the first night, so they moved us to the adjoining chalet for the second night. The food at Okaukuejo is just meh. Breakfast is OK, dinner is a buffet with overcooked meat. It is almost impossible to get a simple lunch there before 2:00, which makes absolutely no sense considering how early they serve dinner. We were finally able to get something by saying we were doing take away, but then they let us eat at the restaurant; sort of a legal fiction to fit within their rules.

Finally, even though I knew it ahead of time, I was just amazed that the only filling station at the camp is cash only, and there is no ATM at Okaukuejo. You would think a major facility in a major park would be a bit more consumer friendly. Be advised, make sure that you arrive with a lot of cash.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Lovely place, great waterhole, but lacks service and they need to do some maintenance work on it. Checked in, paid the N$500 key fee saw our rooms and they were comfortable. Our family lodge had a boarded up pane of the front door-need to replace glass. Had an interesting dinner with the jackals coming very close, but it is a game park. The fun began after a night game drive. We were late in getting back because of a puncture that was part of the African experience. My wife and older son were asleep and so I crawled into bed quietly, or so I thought. The entire bed creaked and groaned like a stuck pig and I ended up with my mid section almost on the floor while my head and feet were up in the air. The board below the mattress was split in two and so it folded when I lay on it. No one was in the office to help, so I spent an uncomfortable night. In the morning I went to the office when it opened at 6:30am and told them about it-my wife was still asleep and my older son and I were going on a dawn drive. They sent someone at 6:35am who woke my wife and other son up and then asked my wife to lift the mattress so they could see the problem. She refused as she had just had surgery. They came back later and I showed them the split particle board base I had to hold up the mattress and board while the manager and her helper stood by and took pictures. They then left leaving a new boxed kettle on our patio which I took back up to them. They argued massively about this so much so that I wrote up a report which I hand delivered to NWR in Swakopmund because I knew she was not going to allow it to make it out of the lodge if I left the report there. I am still waiting for my refund and will edit this to note a refund if I ever get one. This is not the sort of treatment one expects in a lodge of this standing. The breakfast was good and the interiors of the rooms were fine, the pool was clean and inviting, but customer service is lacking.

Room Tip: Check the bed immediately upon check in
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sekerere
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Etosha is a wildlife paradise which is severely let down by the quality of the accommodation at the NWR resorts.

Perhaps my expectations were too high but, in all honesty, I was expecting better. Firstly, the chalets were quite run down. Please refer to the photos that I have attached and you will see what I mean. Do bear in mind that the rooms are not cheap. I've paid less and had better quality accommodation everywhere else in Namibia.

While there were one or two staff who were outstandingly helpful, most others were disinterested to say the least. Breakfast was supposed to be served until 10.00 am and when we arrived at 9.30 am, we were greeted by lackadaisical staff and a partially replenished buffet line. The staff member who was setting the table for lunch passed the comment "why do you have breakfast so late" and when we asked the chef for more bacon, she said "isn't that enough for you". The food was mediocre and the service almost appalling.

The only dining option in the camp is at one and only restaurant which is quite expensive by Namibian standards. Dinner costs N$180 per person which works out to about USD18.00 per head. Some chalets have braai (BBQ) facilities but the camp's shop has very basic supplies. Best if you brought your raw food from outside.

Being a lodge within a national park teeming with wildlife, you would expect them to have garbage facilities which takes this into account. At our lodge, however, our garbage bin was simply hung from a fence, 50 cm from the ground, without a cover. After one of our braai dinners, we headed to the waterhole and when we got back to our chalet, we discovered that the black-backed jackals had pulled the trash bag from the bin and left the rubbish lying on the floor outside.

When we checked out, the receptionist told us that one of the coffee cups was missing. We had to go all the way back to the room to show the housekeeper that it was in the sink.

There was a souvenir shop and a post office in the camp.

Were it not for the amazing waterhole, I would have given this place two out of five.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014

From the experience we made during our stay at Etosha, Okaukuejo is the ideal location to start day trips to the park. From there it was never far to the various corners of Western Etosha.
Even though we’ve been there during the raining season, we’ve seen more animals than we would have imagined (even lions and a rhino). A bit of luck and a whole lot of patience included of course.

The waterhole by the camp was completely uninteresting though, as due to the raining season there were absolutely no animals.
So paying extra for the waterhole rooms probably only makes sense when visiting during the dry season.
Our standard room was surprisingly big and nice and even had its own bbq outside the door.
There’s also a gas station and a small supermarket inside the camp.

The food at the restaurant was ok, but the difference of this state-run camp to the private ones was obvious. Also the service quality differed a lot, depending on which waiter we got.

But all in all, the price is good, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is perfect for visiting Etosha.

Room Tip: Waterhole rooms are probably only worth their money during dry season, as otherwise there won't...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night as part of a Nomad trip and this was a wonderful retreat after a very long day searching for Etosha's big four.

The room is spacious and well furnished. The mosquito net makes you feel like a princess in bed. Linen and towels were spotless and fresh and plenty of warm water in the shower.

The swimming pool area is lovely, pool towels are provided at the reception.

Okaukuejo has a spectacular waterhole where you can enjoy elephants, springboks and even giraffes that come to drink.

There is no wifi at the premises so all bragging about the African wildlife must be reported once you're out of Etosha.

• Stayed: July 2014