“Family Holiday”

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently enjoyed 5 nights at Mokuti Lodge which is conveniently located just outside the Von Lindequest Gate - perfect to explore the eastern part of the park. We stayed in a family room which consisted of two spacious rooms and a big bathroom which were beautifully appointed. Our rate included bed, breakfast and dinner which we thought was really good value. The breakfast and dinner buffets were of a high standard with a good choice of dishes (and an excellent malva pudding for dessert!). We enjoyed spending time at the pool, playing tennis, going on a game drive and visiting the reptile park situated on the premises. We also enjoyed the tame Bontebok, squirrels and mongooses that played on the lawn in front of our room. All in all, we had a truly wonderful stay.
The only minor problems that we encountered were the intermittent wi-fi, a smelly bathroom drain (that the staff tried to fix) and a bathroom without a bath for my young children. Apparently due to water conservation and hot water cylinder issues the baths were removed from all the rooms some years back. The service that we encountered was excellent and our concerns were all promptly addressed. The staff were all very friendly. We would definitely recommend Mokuti Lodge to our friends and hope to come back in the future.

Room Tip: None of the rooms, including the family rooms have baths for young children - only showers.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
OandL-Leisure, General Manager at Mokuti Etosha Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at Mokuti Etosha Lodge.

I am most happy that you generally enjoyed your stay with us. The wildlife that strolls around on the lodge grounds is certainly a big attraction for many of our guests.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problem that you encountered with the WiFi. In the meantime our IT team has been at Mokuti Etosha Lodge on 26. and 27.8.2014 to check all systems. One of the nine WiFi base stations was replaced as it was not working correctly.

The main issue however is unfortunately sometimes exacerbated by a drop in service from our Internet Service Provider Telecom Namibia. As we are in a rural area, the options for data and voice connections are rather limited. We are currently connected by a 2Mbit/s WiMax Service exclusively for our guests. At this time this is the maximum bandwidth we can get. However, this is by no means sufficient since we some times have some 150+ devices connected at the same time which oversubscribes the available bandwidth.

We therefore negotiating with Telecom Namibia to get a direct point to point link or a fibre-optic connection for Mokuti in order to provide more reliability and a decent bandwidth. We believe this can be achieved within the next three months.

I notice that your comment re the drains was that the staff had tried to fix it? May I assume that we were less than successful in our attempts? Once again, please accept my apologies for our tardiness in this regard. I have addressed this with the maintenance team.

It will be fantastic to welcome you back to our little piece of paradise. Whilst I will not have been able to address the matter of there being no baths in the rooms, I can assure that that the WiFi will definitely have been attended to.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I enjoyed the hospitality at Mokuti Etosha Lodge. The staff are so friendly and helpful at all times. There is a high degree of customer care tailored to satisfy the guest and every query or concern is taken very seriously and always attended to promptly!

Room Tip: Very clean with all amenities
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Your review of your recent stay at Mokuti Etosha Lodge in highly appreciated.

I am pleased that we were able to provide you with the kind of service that all hotel guests deserve.
The friendliness of our staff is often commented on by our guests, and I very happy that you too experienced this firsthand.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Mokuti in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Best value for money.
Excellent, Friendly and very sufficient staff.
Overall rating EXCELLENT!!!
Rooms are very well kept and neat.
We will definitely recommend your lodge to all our friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the wonderful review of your stay Mokuti Etosha Lodge.

I am very happy that you so enjoyed the time that you spent with us. Thank you also for your hearty recommendation. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Mokuti in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We spent 5 wonderful days at Mokuti lodge and we took advantage of the close proximity to Etosha National Park to go into the park every day. The children enjoyed playing in the spacious garden where they observed antelopes, mongoose, squirrels and some reptiles in the Reptile Park. The food was excellent and the spa was a wonderful treat. The service was outstanding from beginning to end and we would like to thank the lodge for their thoughtful gesture when it was my son´s birthday. We look forward to going back in the future!

Room Tip: The family room was spacious, modern and very clean.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Mokuti Etosha Lodge.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay in our little piece of paradise. Your positive comments are very motivational for the entire team. We all look forward to welcoming you back to your second home on the edge of Etosha in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed for 3 nights at the Mokuti in June 2014. I requested reservations using Mokuti web site, I included my credit card info. I soon received an email response thanking me for my booking and providing the booking details. Next day I received an email stating that my credit card info was "invalid". I sent the credit card info again but never received a response.

I checked my credit card history daily and never noticed any activity, nor did I receive any further contact from Mokuti. After some time I sent a request to Mokuti asking for the status of my reservation - I received no response.

I repeated the request a week later - again no response and no activity on my credit card.. I considered contacting other establishments but Mokuti appeared to what I wanted. I was also concerned that once I reserved at another establishment Mokuti would finally "come to life" and charge my credit card.

In desperation I finally placed an international telephone call (at a very inconvenient time for me) and spoke to someone in the central office. I was asked to send my cc info again. I did that and finally received a response. The response was that they do not accept American Express - could I please use a different card?
Why couldn't they have done this earlier?

I sent them info for a different cc and wonder of wonders received a response stating that everything was OK with the other card and the next day received a "proof of payment" and verification of reservation.

This was an ordeal!!

In spite of the booking process, once I arrived at Mokuti everything was excellent - the food, the lodging, the grounds the service etc, etc and especially the game drives. The "poor" rating on the service criteria reflects only the booking process.

In spite of the serious problems with the booking process I would stay here again.

POSTSCRIPT: I sent a copy of this review directly to Mokuti. They replied and in great detail listed the history of my booking process and also the steps they have taken to prevent this from happening in the future. I am satisfies that they have properly addressed the booking issues.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
OandL-Leisure, General Manager at Mokuti Etosha Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you very much for the time and effort you spent in not only providing us with a detailed review on your booking process but also to stay patient during this lengthy process which we have to admit we really messed up.

We sincerely apologize for all inconvenience this has caused to you. We have gone into a detailed investigation on your case and due to your detailed response have been able to improve our payment process for the future.

However, we are happy that you really enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us at Mokuti Etosha Lodge.

We received your online direct booking on April 22, 2014 including your payment transaction. As you mentioned, you have received an immediate confirmation stating "...Thank you for your booking" and further down "...The establishment will contact you to confirm the credit card deduction."

You are correct that our reservations department informed you about a non-successful credit card transaction to which you have replied within 8 minutes accordingly.

Furthermore it is correct that we have not replied to you in a reasonable time frame and thus you sent us a reminder eMail on April 29. As you still have not heard back from us you have been again in contact with our reservations department on May 6, 2014 by phone.

On the next day, May 7 we had to inform you that at this time we are unable to accept American Express Credit Cards for now and asked whether you might have any other credit card available.

After having processed the newly given details of your other credit card, the booking was finally confirmed since the transaction was run successfully.

Again, there is no excuse for not getting back to you in a decent time-frame on the credit card transactions.

The reason is that without any notification American Express Cards and Diners Club cards have no longer been processed from the Bank of Namibia accredited clearing center since an application and authorization from those vendors were due. We only experienced this due to your incident. While our finance department was busy finding out on how to overcome this hurdle, they did not respond to you to keep you in the loop. We again apologize for this failure of service.

Since American Express and Diners are still not processable for us we have turned off the ability for our customers to choose those payment methods.

Also, because of your report we have changed the manual credit card process to a secure virtual terminal process which can be accessed via an encrypted link and stopped using the insecure authorization form.

We thank you very much for your detailed report which enabled us to really improve our services for any future customers. We really benefited from your contribution.

If you ever consider coming back to Namibia, we hope you will try our improved process again.

Please feel free to contact me at any time with any further question.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Service was excellent, prompt and very helpful. Keep it up.
Christian channels will be appreciated on tv as channels are limited.
Rooms were very good and neat. I likedhow the room were arrange.
I had a good feel of the wild when animals move around the lodge and it was a pleasure to watch.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
OandL-Leisure, General Manager at Mokuti Etosha Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you for the review of your stay at Mokuti Etosha Lodge.

I am very happy that you enjoyed the time that with us.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to Mokuti in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My delegation had a wonderful stay in Mokuti Lodge and was impressed by your hospitality and appreciated. we are still planning to visit mokuti lodge in future possible before the end of this year with more days and in a big number of people. your price is reasonable compared to other places.

Room Tip: this question I need an explanation, I do not understand, you mean maybe I gave tip or what?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay at Mokuti Etosha Lodge.

I am very happy that you enjoyed it.
We look forward to welcoming your group back in the near future.