I visisted Canõn Lodge for the first time in 2002 and looked forward to seeing the lodge again. The lodge now has a sister lodge, the Canõn Mountain Lodge a few kilometers away with different views but essentially with the same scenery.
The main lodge has not changed, with great service and very friendly smiles and I was welcomed like an old friend and after a cup of coffee was shown my room, a walk of 300 meters.
The rooms are mostly built to include large boulders that form part of the mountain side, the bathrooms are large and the beds with their mosquito nets draped from the ceiling look very romantic.
After getting settled into my room I went to the WIFI centre which worked like a dream and in no time I had emailed my office in Cape Town and had uploaded some of my latest pics.
Afternoon tea is included and the dining room or deck is used in summer of breakfast and dinner.
There is a swimming pool about 300 meters away with terraced levels and deck chairs, one can go horse riding, walk up a small hill to see the view and enjoy drinks or shop in the curio shop.
The lodge is only a few kilometres from the Fish River Canyon and one can enjoy the spectacular views from the view points along the canyon rim.
The food was good, the rooms are very clean and I loved every minute.
My regular question as always “would I go back?” the answer is definitely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The harsh rocky desert region at the southern tip of Namibia has made many a traveller think that God has forgotten this land. Not so, just 20 kilometres from the main viewpoint of the Fish River Canyon, leading off the dusty D324, you’ll find the Canon Lodge, an oasis seemingly in the middle of nowhere. The Canon Lodge is one of two existing accommodation centres in the expanse of the 530 km² Gondwana Canon Park. Tall weather-beaten granite boulders mark the location of the lodge and forms an integral part of the overall design. The 20 thatch stone bungalows are dotted among the kopies and are beautifully designed, with the walls shaped around the hills so that boulders protrude into your room, cool to the touch and smoothly rounded by an eternity of erosion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Canyon Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canon Hotel Fish River Canyon
- Canyon Lodge Namibia/Fish River Canyon