“Not good value for money”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Gallerie

Le Gallerie
Le Gallerie
Ranked #13 of 15 Graskop B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Not good value for money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed here on a trip to the Kruger Park. The rooms were clean and tastefully decorated, but it was expensive for the facilities offered. The bed was comfortable, but the room was very noisy and the blinds didn't cover the windows properly, making the room very well lit by the streetlamp outside. The honesty bar was empty, and there was only enough milk for 1 cup of tea. The breakfast was nice.

We felt that this B&B was a revenue driven business rather than a home away from home. The owners are constantly trying to sell you their art, and being asked to pay extra for the breakfast makes it a raw deal. It would be much better to stay at the Pilgrims Rest hotel a few km away.

Room Tip: Room 3 is probably quieter and darker than 1 or 2.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Le Gallerie is a perfectly acceptable place to stay in Graskop. My partner and I did a quick overnight stop here on a road trip back from Kruger.

Rooms:
The rooms are very similar to what you see on the website. They are tastefully decorated and display the owner's artwork. They are not terribly luxurious, but that isn't to be expected in a place like Graskop, and my sense is that the rooms here are nice than you will find elsewhere in town.

Service:
Acceptable. Our interactions with the owners were rather brief, but they seemed nice enough. My one source of caution would be her advice to tip the cleaner 10% of the bill. The amount is close to a cleaner's daily wage in South Africa, and given the cleaner's reaction when I gave her the money, I could tell these tips weren't common. I'm not sure why the owner advised that.

Location:
Very easy to find and within walking distance of everything. (Skip the Portuguese restaurant. I found The Glass House to be much tastier. Also, Harry's Pancakes deserves its great reputation.) With this in mind, the one thing that surprised me was just how loud the traffic noise is. I know another reviewer commented on it, but I was still unprepared. Very, very loud trucks.

Overall:
If you are passing through for a night, I recommend staying here. If you intend to stay more than one evening, you may want to consider elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelli H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Words would never truly explain the fantastic experience I've had staying at Le Gallerie.

I felt right at home. The owners of the B&B was so hospitable, friendly and very helpfull with information about things to do and places to go in the area.

Maria and Roeloff Jansen van Vuuren are truly amazing people their hospitality went beyond my expectations.

Everything was top notch! The room was so comfortable, cozy and luxurious. Believe it or not, the filler for the duvet was of silk!
The breakfast was great and tasty, who thought an egg can taste so good?
I never wanted to leave!

The van Vuurens are both very talented artists, their photography is displayed all over the guesthouse. I fully enjoyed soaking in the ambiance of the guesthouse and everything it had to offer. I will most definitely go there again soon.
It's a must place to go when you just want to relax.

I just want to thank Maria and Roeloff for everything.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank gustavoswanepoel
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

Graskop is a great little town as a stop off for touring the Blyde River Canyon area. The town has a great mix of craft shops and a choice of eateries. Le Gallerie looks fairly unprepossessing from the outside but the B&B is centrally located and has on site parking and security. Rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. The breakfast room was beautiful and featured a wide range of artwork from local artists. The breakfasts were fresh and tasty. Our hosts were welcoming, friendly and very helpful. Our main criticism was the traffic noise from the nearby road. Graskop is in a forestry area and heavy timber lorries trundled past at all hours.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Big_Al_65
Pretoria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

I stayed in this B&B for one night in September of 2009 with two friends. The three of us were put in a basic twin bedroom with a sofa bed and we were charged 550 Rand each for this privilege, which excluded breakfast. This is by far the worst value I have seen in all the travelling I have done within South Africa in the last year and I have travelled extensively. I found the breakfast adequate but one of my friends could not stomach it at all, particularly the 'meat' we were given - we weren't too sure what it was and it didn't taste good!
On leaving we reluctantly paid for all of the above in cash. However I subsequently discovered that my credit card was also charged for the same amount (some confusion between the owner and the travel agency we booked through apparently). And this is where I have my biggest compaint on this place - trying to get this money refunded has been nothing short of a nightmare. Still, nearly 4 months on, I am waiting for the full amount to be fully refunded to me and at this point all my mails to the owner asking for this to be resolved are being ignored. For someone involved in the service industry she does not know anything about customer service and I would not recommend this establishment to anybody. Believe me South Africa has so much more to offer - all this place will do is leave a bad taste in your mouth and for more reasons than their 'meat'!! Do not stay here - they do not deserve your custom.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank IrishCailinPretoria

Travellers are raving about these Graskop hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Graskop
Graskop Hotel
#10 of 13 in Graskop
Autumn Breeze Manor
Autumn Breeze Manor
#5 of 15 in Graskop

Been to Le Gallerie? Share your experiences!