Nkomazi Game Reserve
Fortis Hotel Malaga(Waterval Boven)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$85
US$72
US$167
US$163
All reviewsthe riverplunge pooltented lodgegame reservesafari experienceluxury tentsour honeymoonoutdoor showerhigh teadining tentwonderful experiencestayed longerhis knowledgebush walkmorning driveyoung male lionsvery special place
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of our two week honeymoon, what can I say it was absolutely out of this world, the tented lodge was beautiful, the staff were so friendly and couldn't have made our stay more comfortable , Dave our guide was an absolute legend so knowledgable. We had a fantastic walking safari and met a couple of rhinos along the way I was scared stiff but his experience reassured me I was in safe hands! One of my favourite parts had to be the sunset drinks as part of the evening drive so surreal just an amazing experience.

I would totally recommend this reserve to stay we are already planning when we can return, such a truly beautiful and special place.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Badgerjohn3
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I visited Nkomazi for two nights in September as part of our once in a life time trip to Africa. We were staying in the Royale Suite tent and I would have to say that it was the best accommodation we had during a five week trip to Southern Africa. There was plenty of room in the bedroom/bathroom area and then we had a whole other tent just for watching TV or reading! All areas had a wonderful view of the nearby river where we spotted some elephants passing one day - spent a couple of hours sitting by the river's edge watching them. Does life get better? Yes it does. They had an outdoor bubble bath and champagne waiting for us on arriving back from one evening game drive!!
Paul was our guide/driver and his enthusiasm matched our own. There was never a question asked that he didn't know the answer for. The rally driving through the bush to make sure we didn't miss a sighting was another highlight for me. The animals are as I imagined them to be in Africa - thick on the plains with a little more driving required to spot the more elusive animals.
The food was very good, with the boma dinner particularly great.
The absolute best part of this game reserve is the time, energy, effort and money being invested back into the reserve in terms of looking after the animals that are there and making sure there is a sustainable mix of animals.
We would love to have stayed longer but we were locked into other travel arrangements.
Thank you to all staff for making it such a wonderful experience!!!

2  Thank FooteParty
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Go here!
So romantic. I wish I could visit this place regularly. I nearly applied to work there, just to find a way to stay.

We were there in their off season. The deal we found on line was around $150/night, but we can't remember what it was exactly.

The staff was Amazing. Friendly, fun, skilled, entertaining, and seemed to really love what they do. (A shout out to Tabo for always having a smile on his face.)

The Rooms were incredible! They were a heavy duty tent, but the most luxurious tent I've ever seen. A 5 out of 5 star quality. They have a ceiling fan high above the bed, and an a/c to regulate the temperature. The mini fridge was always well stocked fresh with wine, beer, water, and was included in our total cost. Running water inside and outside (They have a bathtub outside which I deeply regret not using!!!). A standing shower and separate room for a toilet inside. It was so amazing to have floor to ceiling screens, and the one time it rained the flaps were easy to put down. They also cleaned the room once a day while we were out on the reserve. There is a cooling "pool" outside of each room (like a hot tub, but to cool you off in the warmer seasons). Truly one of the nicest places we've ever stayed.

There are 2 safari drives a day (morning and evening), and you can go out for a hike or bike ride between the two. On the safari they stop in the middle and let everyone out of the truck to have wine in glasses or your choice of beverage and gourmet snacks on a small, table cloth covered table. In the evening, they make sure to stop for the sunset. SO many amazing beautiful places to see, and they really respect the animals and the land.

The food. Wow! SO good! I swear that everyone must gain weight while here. There is no shortage of incredible food. Upon arrival (every time you come back from being out on the reserve) they have specialty beverages (juices, cocktails, or my favorite: Amarula) and a cool, pleasant smelling, wet hand towel. Even at the front gate, before you go in to the reserve, they had cold beer, or water for us. Every couple of hours there is a gourmet meal or snack with wine or juice set up for guests. One night of the week they have food outside which was really fun.

There was always a little thrill of not knowing how the animals might behave. My heart was racing a couple of times, but I always felt safe with our ranger, Louise (a brilliant, fun, respectful, woman whose priority was to show us a good time while keeping us safe) She educated us quite a bit about the creatures, the land and history and what they are planning to do for the future.

I want to give this place a 10 out of 5.

Room Tip: We liked our room on the river. I think it was 12(?), the last room/tent to the north. It was quiet and off on its own (if you don't like walking a long way to your room, especially at night this would not be a good choice).
1  Thank Coliemonster
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

This tented lodge is the best experience of our trip to S-Africa. The tents were very luxurious, beautiful decorated, And very clean! Amazing view from our own litlle swimming pool. The staff was very kind, and warm. Dave, our ranger was amazing! We learned a lot from him! The food was truly delicious! Mama Grace is a great Chef. The massage we had was lovely, with a nice view. We definitly want to come back one day...

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Words can’t describe Nkomazi , from when we arrived until we left everything was perfect .

The staff are extremely friendly and the management phenomenal.

Our game drive was an amazing experience. PAUL our ranger is very knowledgeable and his passion for his job speak a thousand words!!!

The tents are luxurious (with a very comfortable king size bed) and have an outside Victorian Bath and private pool.

The food was 5 star quality, excellently presented and delicious. All drinks were included and the mini bar was stocked up and replenished daily.

The game viewing and awesome sunsets are mind blowing.

You can’t go wrong with this Game Reserve, Nkomazi is excellent value for money !!!

I wish you the same EXCELLENT experience as we had 

Room Tip: Tent 12 It is the furthest tent and most private