“so-so at best. Be prepared for the riff-raff”

Baymont Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed 9 April 2007

Checked in on Friday afternoon and was content to see my room, although small, was clean and somewhat quiet. The wireless worked fine and the room was adequately stocked. I was happy to hear that the pool & hot tub were open 24 hours as I knew I would be returning late. The front desk clerk was accommodating and friendly. No complaints at all...yet.

2:30 am i went to take a quick soak before bed and possibly a dip in the pool. No thanks. There was a drunk guy diving for his gum and sneezing into the pool regulary, all the time yelling profanities back and forth to his girlfriend in the hot tub. So much for the pool... there were some younger (21ish) kids around the hot tub drinking bottles of beer and being loud and obnoxious. They were on their way out so I ended up in the hot tub for a while. Thankfully the drunk guy and his girlfriend left shortly after I got in. This more of a reflection of the clientele than the hotel itself. it's proximity to the casino and lower than average (not by much) rate attract these types. Be prepared.

The breakfast buffet was crowded and cramped. The selection was sparse but I've seen worse. i decided to try the sausage gravy and biscuits but upon taking one bite I promptly deposited my plate in the trash. It was a cold, grey sludge over a couple of stale busicuits - stress the cold. I paid for McDonalds on my way out of town and left the free breakfast behind.

So the moral of the story is...if you want to party and get wasted and take advantage of a late night pool and nasty breakfast - this place is perfect. If you're looking for something quiet and relaxing...try somewhere else. Next time i certainly will.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank adavici

Reviewed 28 December 2006

If you like noise and no response from the front desk then the Mt. Pleasant Baymont is your place to stay!

We stayed there Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Around 5 am Saturday the room across from us came in and someone kept running up and down the hallway. The people in the room would either stand in the doorway laughing loudly or they would close the door and the guy running around would bang on the door until those inside answered. After almost an hour of this, we called the front desk twice with no answer. Instead of sleeping in we ended up getting up and when we complained at the front desk, we were told by the female clerk that she must have been setting up for breakfast and didn't hear the phone. She assured us that The Baymont has a zero noise policy and that we would receive a discount due to the inconvenience.

That night around midnight, the people in the room next to us came in drunk and arguing. Someone was hitting the wall on the other side of our bed. Then they calmed down and decided to hop in their rooms hot tub. Apparently the plumbing runs from our room into theirs because it sounded horrible. We actually got out of our bed and checked the walls because it sounded too close to believe.

Sunday morning we heard the room accross the hall again and I got out of the bed and looked out of the peep hole to see that same female front desk clerk coming out of the room. It all made sense now...they must have been her friends!

When we checked out, there was no mention of our complaints in the computer and no discount was given! We contacted Baymont Corporate Offices and received a small discount but will never stay in another Baymont! This was supposed to have been a nice relaxing weekend--an escape from getting up early and from distractions. It was far from it.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank craigjmi
Reviewed 28 October 2006

I recently stayed at the Baymont Inn, Mt. Pleasant and I did have a pleasant stay. The front desk staff was very friendly, and the housekeeping did a wonderful job. I give this hotel a B only bcz it does need some updating but I give the staff an A+. I stayed in a suite which was just down the stairs from the pool and that was very conveinent. It is open 24hrs for adults so that is great. I absolutely adored the breakfast woman Virginia, she was very polite and always stocking the food and cleaning off tables. They did have a nice breakfast spread with Belgian Waffles that you make yourself, muffins, donuts hard boiled eggs etc. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone. To some people who feel like they have to complain about every little issue is nonsense. I believe everyone should work in the Hospitality Industry before they got nit picking about small things. If I have a problem I notify the front desk and they will take care of it, so everyone think twice before complaining these worker are overworked and underpaid! Thank You

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank jmets
Reviewed 30 July 2006

Stayed here for one night on business in July 2006 based on a stay at another Baymont Inn property in the state. At check-in, the room type reserved was not available, so I received an upgrade to a non-smoking King suite. The couple in front of me also had a problem! Room was nothing exceptional in either a good or bad way, though there was a notable lack of towels in the room--there were no hand towels and only one washcloth. At check-in, the front desk clerk told me to contact them if I needed them. Of course I need them--they're towels! I shouldn't have to call to get them--your housekeeping staff should note which rooms were short-stocked and taken care of the matter when the towels were ready for use. The 24-hour convenience of the pool was nice, though I did not get to use it. Continental breakfast was very poorly stocked and an absolute embarassment. I left with the last piece of edible fruit--there were bananas there that should have been discarded at least one day earlier. Only the professional and courteous manner of the staff prevented me from giving this property a one-star rating. I did not get a followup survey like I sometimes get--too bad, because they would not have liked it. I will not stay here again; I do not recommend you do, either.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank jsterben
Reviewed 21 March 2005

We had a very disappointing stay at the Baymont Inn in Mount Pleasant, MI. Normally I would just pay and move on, but there were so many things wrong that I feel I needed to document the issues so that the problems can be corrected.

1. We tried to check in twice but no one was at the front desk or answering the operator line. At 9:00pm there was about 10 people in the lobby also waiting for someone to come back to the desk so they could check in, so we drove around town looking for a place to eat. At 9:30pm we came back, but still there was no one at the front desk, so we went out for dinner. At 10:30pm we came back from dinner and were able to check in.

2. After unpacking, we decided to visit the pool area and relax in the hot tub. Unfortunately the chemicals were so strong that we could not tolerate being in it. The hot tub had a 6" layer of foam and our eyes were stinging from the chemicals. I realize that it is a high-use pool area, but I don't think it would pass the chemical-level tests that are required by local and state governments for safety reasons.

3. We returned to our room to take a shower to wash the chemicals off, but unfortunately there was no hot water. The temperature was not quite lukewarm and grew colder by the minute.

4. The plastic lamp shade in our room was broken. It looked like it had fallen and completely cracked. I was surprised that it had not been replaced, as it was clearly visibly broken.

5. The TV in our room was broken. It worked for about a minute and then the screen collapsed into a 2" tall compressed screen. It did not return to normal that night or the next morning.

I would have normally requested a new room but the hotel was completely full so we were stuck with our room. We told ourselves it was just a place to sleep for the night, and not to get upset, but we spent a considerable amount of time looking for a nice place to stay and chose the Baymont because it had all of the features we wanted. Needless to say, we were very disappointed in our stay and will think twice about staying at a Baymont in the future.

21  Thank RAINKIR