I stayed at Mt. Pleasant Inn and Suites after five grueling days of hiking and backpacking across Isle Royale National Park. I had booked this through Priceline, and paid $88.
The good: The room was clean and quiet. This clearly used to be a Microtel, which means the room is small. But the bed was comfortable, the A/C worked well, and there was actually a ceiling fan, which is one of the first times I have ever seen such a thing in a hotel: a nice touch. In addition, the continental breakfast was quite good, though the eating area is very cramped.
So, what's not to like? Well to start with, this hotel is not worth $88; I don't care if that's "average" for this part of Michigan: it's too much for a hotel of this caliber. It's worth noting that this is a college town, but it was summer and the campus - and much of the downtown - was deserted; thus, "high demand" can't be a reason for the price.
Secondly, I accidentally booked a handicap room. Now clearly, this is not their fault, but in the past, the desk clerk has said, "I have you for one night in a queen room, no smoking..." or something like that. This woman just checked me into the room without making sure that the room was correct. Obviously, it was my fault for booking the room; on the other hand, other clerks would confirm I had booked a handicap room.
(Humorous side note: I asked for a place where I could go to have a good burger and a beer; good bar food. The woman at the desk said, "Have you been to Applebee's?" This doesn't translate humorously here, but she made it sound like Applebee's was some sort of rare treasure unique to Mt. Pleasant. When I told her I didn't want to eat at a chain, she was able to give me a good recommendation.)
Finally, I think that a toilet should work when you flush it, period, end of story, that is IT! Well, this was one of those toilets where you had to make SURE you push the flush handle ALL the way down EACH time; if you don't, the toilet pouts and swirls the water around but doesn't do its job.
After saying all this, I feel I can still recommend this place, especially when I looked at other options. But I did feel like this hotel was pricey for what I got.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our property was built in 1997 and was redone in 2013. Our high standard of cleanliness, along with our friendly environment, makes the Mount Pleasant Inn and Suites a must-stay location. We have been told by MANY guests we have the best beds in town! We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a clean, comfortable hotel. We offer a complimentary continental breakfast that includes many delicious options. We also offer free wireless Internet access and free nationwide long distance calling. We are conveniently located in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, just off I-27 Freeway and on the east side of M-20. We are one mile from the Soaring Eagle Casino and three miles from the Campus of Central Michigan University. We are also conveniently located to many parks, golf courses and restaurants. We also offer a 24-hour taxi service that serves the entire central Michigan area. And those looking for a ride to the casino, it is only $4 per person per ride for a single rider. Or if there is 2 riders or more it is $2 per person per ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mt. Pleasant Inn And Suites
- Mt. Pleasant Hotel Mount Pleasant
- Microtel Mount Pleasant
- Mount Pleasant Microtel