“Really a 3.5 Star, but...Well, Read on...”

Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed at Mt. Pleasant Inn and Suites after five grueling days of hiking and backpacking across Isle Royale National Park. I had booked this through Priceline, and paid $88.

The good: The room was clean and quiet. This clearly used to be a Microtel, which means the room is small. But the bed was comfortable, the A/C worked well, and there was actually a ceiling fan, which is one of the first times I have ever seen such a thing in a hotel: a nice touch. In addition, the continental breakfast was quite good, though the eating area is very cramped.

So, what's not to like? Well to start with, this hotel is not worth $88; I don't care if that's "average" for this part of Michigan: it's too much for a hotel of this caliber. It's worth noting that this is a college town, but it was summer and the campus - and much of the downtown - was deserted; thus, "high demand" can't be a reason for the price.

Secondly, I accidentally booked a handicap room. Now clearly, this is not their fault, but in the past, the desk clerk has said, "I have you for one night in a queen room, no smoking..." or something like that. This woman just checked me into the room without making sure that the room was correct. Obviously, it was my fault for booking the room; on the other hand, other clerks would confirm I had booked a handicap room.

(Humorous side note: I asked for a place where I could go to have a good burger and a beer; good bar food. The woman at the desk said, "Have you been to Applebee's?" This doesn't translate humorously here, but she made it sound like Applebee's was some sort of rare treasure unique to Mt. Pleasant. When I told her I didn't want to eat at a chain, she was able to give me a good recommendation.)

Finally, I think that a toilet should work when you flush it, period, end of story, that is IT! Well, this was one of those toilets where you had to make SURE you push the flush handle ALL the way down EACH time; if you don't, the toilet pouts and swirls the water around but doesn't do its job.

After saying all this, I feel I can still recommend this place, especially when I looked at other options. But I did feel like this hotel was pricey for what I got.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kabbagehead
Mtpleasantinn, Guest Relations Manager at Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for staying here with us at the Mount Pleasant Inn and Suites. We are sorry that you did not feel the room you booked was worth the value, despite the fact that we often have the lowest prices in town. The front desk clerk should have confirmed your room at check-in; however, it is easy to move rooms if you find yourself in a room that you are not happy with. As for the toilet flushing, we have a maintenance worker on staff that works hard to keep up with the many repairs we need done on the property. We hope that you will be willing to stay with us in the future.

Jaymie Collins
Mount Pleasant Inn and Suites

There are newer reviews for Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We were traveling through Mich and needed a decent place to sleep. We got very lucky! Julie answered the phone and was most helpful. Then we called back because we took a wrong turn she talked us practically to the front door. She stayed beyond her shift to be the one to check us in. The rate was very reasonable. The room very clean. Thanks for a great nights sleep!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Mtpleasantinn, Public Relations Manager at Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay here at Mt. Pleasant Inn and Suites. We strive to provide only the best for our guests. We appreciate the positive feedback and hope to see you again soon. Thank you for choosing Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites and have a great day.

Sheana Andrews
Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I stayed here one night in May while visiting Central Michigan University. I was looking for something simple, inexpensive, and easy to find, which this place was. The hotel looks like it was originally a Microtel, with its tiny rooms just large enough for the bed. There was a tiny shelf holding the coffee maker that could have served as a sort of desk, and it did have a basic chair. The wardrobe was built in the the corner and had the TV on top. There was also a bench window seat with two drawers built in underneath. Two walls had large mirrors, making the room seem lighter and a little larger than it really was, although it still felt cramped to me. The bathroom was clean and not especially small. It did not require one to stand on the toilet to shut the door, but there wasn't much extra space. Everything was just enough. I wouldn't want to stay here long, or spend much time in the room except to sleep, but for a place to crash it was perfect.

They have free breakfast in the morning, which was similarly simple but enough. I saw juice, milk, coffee and tea, plus hot chocolate mix. There was bread for toast, muffins, eggo waffles, yogurt, and two kinds of dry cereal as well as some instant oatmeal packets and fresh fruit (bananas and apples). The seating was not plentiful, but while I was there it was not full, and they kept the tv on a morning news program at reasonable volume.

The immediate surroundings include several restaurants, a grocery store, and some other chain stores. It is right next to the highway, so convenient for travelers, but the city of Mt. Pleasant is not that big and you could stay here and still get to the other side of town in 15 minutes or less by car.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us here at the Mount Pleasant Inn and Suites. We are glad you had a positive experience here with us during your stay. You are correct, we were formerly a Microtel Inn, but we strive to be the best value in the area despite our small sized rooms. We appreciate your kind words about the many amenities we provide for our guests, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Jaymie Collins
Mount Pleasant Inn and Suites

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Other than my 81 year old father turning ill this hotel was a very nice hotel. Very clean and Friendly. Midnight guy appeared to be new and didn't know a lot but afternoon Gal that checked me in was super sweet. Nice location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We booked this hotel online and were charged $94 (not the $88 that was posted on the sign in front of the hotel). The motel was clean and the room was nice, although a bit older. There was no indoor pool. We were located about a mile from a casino and asked if they had a hotel shuttle to the casino and they said no, but would give us the number of a local cab company they used. Well, the number was wrong so we just gave up and decided to drive to the casino. The free breakfast was super limited and unappealing but they did offer a discount at the I-HOP across the street. All in all, we just felt like it was a lot of money for a hotel with few amenities this time of year in Michigan.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LakeshoreLady2
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Stayed for 1 night while in Mt. Pleasant for a golf tournament. 1/2 the price of the casino and very clean. As indicated in the title, no frills + the rooms are small and the tv is oddly placed above the closet. It's on the main drag and there is some traffic noise. But if you're just crashing, and don't need glitz, nightlife, you can't miss here. You also get a discount to eat @ the IHOP across the street if you prefer to skip the free continental breakfast for some bacon and eggs.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel rather than Soaring Eagle Casino Hotel just down the street. The room I stayed in had the TV mounted above the closet and the "couch" was the window sill. I never experienced that before. The free breakfast was not bad. The room rate and location sold me on this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. I had room 228.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business