“Top 4 restaurant in MP, great food, best fine dining option”

The Brass Cafe and Saloon
Ranked #14 of 147 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It offers 2 different menus: an expensive one then average one. Both are great food options. It has a bar and dining area which are separate from each other. I hear this is a Cmu professor's hang out spot. This is where locals go too, downtown Mount Pleasant. I had the fish and chips which was like $8, and it was filling. The fish was great, the fries were okay. Everything on the expensive menu was $18-30 per meal. I didn't know what any of it was so I didn't order it. But I have heard nothing but good from the 3.5 years I went to school here about Brass cafe. I would say this is the best place to have a formal dinner

2  Thank Robertstj

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We have been happy patrons of The Brass for many years as it is easily the standout restaurant in our area. The food is consistently excellent, and the owner always visits each table at dinner to ensure that customers are satisfied. Local ingredients are nicely integrated, seasonal changes are honored, and customer favorites are always available. The lemon risotto parmesan balls are a splendid appetizer choice, and the seafood is never disappointing. On Valentine's Day, the upper level was open (it's usually reserved for private parties), and provided a romantic ambience; that evening, I ordered the Barramundi, which was superbly done--almond crusted, and served with house-pickled fennel and avocado. We've never been wowed by the desserts, but the appetizers and entrees are always terrific. The lunch menu is also excellent; I particularly like the tilapia sandwich and sweet potato fries!

2  Thank JoMich
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I have been going to the Brass for more than a decade now and we love it. It's really the only good restaurant in Mt. Pleasant to go for a nice meal or to take visitors. The atmosphere is usually quiet, the service is attentive and the food is good. I have to admit that I haven't loved everything I've ever ordered but the cook takes chances with unusual dishes that you don't normally find in small town restaurants. It's nice to have a choice of something beyond steaks and pasta. The lamb is particularly good and the quail appetizer is amazing. Even their coffee is good. Perhaps my only complaint is the way they dole out bread as if it's a rare commodity. The waitress comes by once a meal with a basket and carefully places ONE piece of bread on your plate. There will be no more unless you make a point of asking. I just don't really get that. Beyond that it's always a great experience.

3  Thank StV6
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Excellent menu with great food and beverages. Service is very good but plan to be there a while. This is a place where you are unlikely to get in and out in a hurry - best for when you want a relaxed and leisurely dinner.

2  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Dedicated cook who tries hard, and usually succeeds. Nice flatbread offerings, great hamburgers, big selection of desirable menu items. Calm bar area. Visit more than once without getting bored.