“Horrible” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Detroit, Michigan
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hotel is SMOKEY. Our room, which was supposed to be non smoking smelled of smoke from the hallway and ventilation system. The first room we were in had stains and cigarette burns all over the carpet, and even tiles that were masking taped up in the bathroom! Our second room did not have any tile issues but still had a smoke smell and the carpet looked horrible. The common areas of the hotel, although non smoking were very very smoky and the carpets were filthy.
One other thing you need to know about this hotel- LINES! First you wait in a very long line to check in, then you wait in a very long line to get a players card, and then if you want to eat ( we had the entertainment package which included the buffet--- BIG waste of money) you will have to wait in an unbelievably long line ...and then the food was not good at all...Mc Donald's would have been better ( yes it was that bad) I honestly could not wait to leave.
If you are a chain smoker, that likes bland food, standing in line and staff that just does not seem to care this place might be for you.
If you like nonsmoking hotel rooms and decent food and helpful staff.... Beware!

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you like non smoking rooms-- the ventilation system carries the smoke through...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M P
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear M P-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. On behalf of the resort, I apologize that it sounds like you did not enjoy your recent stay one bit. Being the Training Manager on the hotel side, I am embarrassed and troubled that our staff did not seem to care for you during your stay. I promise you that that is NOT the expectation of our Resort when it comes to service. Guest Service should always come first and I will most definitely share your sentiments with our department heads. Also, being a non-smoker, I more than agree with you regarding your opinion on how smokey our Resort can be. Our management team is working on solutions to correct this issue and do regularly replace all filters within the Resort. Hopefully this matter can be further addressed sooner rather than later.

Despite these short comings, I would like to personally extend an invitation for you to come back and give our property another chance. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will personally handle your reservation to ensure you are completely satisfied. I would also like to hear more about your experience, so I encourage you to reach out to me at my contact information which is listed below. On behalf of the Casino and Resort, I again extend my apologies to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can make up for this stay and move forward to hopefully wow you with our service at the Resort.

bporterfield@sagchip.org

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I spent two nights at Soaring Eagle for business meetings. I am not a gambler, so I was not interested in the Casino. My room was lovely. It was large, well appointed with a refrigerator, large wall of windows with a view of the outdoor water feature, two comfortable chairs to enjoy the view and a sizable bathroom. We had drinks one night in the lively lounge and dinner/breakfast at Isabella's. Food was good and their was a nice wine list. The staff at Soaring Eagle could not have been friendlier. My room and the resort were well taken care of and clean. I would definitely go back for a weekend break.

Room Tip: Corner suite was secluded and I had the best two nights sleep in a hotel that I can remember.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nancy D-

Thank you so much for your comments and we greatly appreciate your time that you took to tell us about your experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay while on business and were able to experience some of what the property has to offfer. I am glad to hear that you found your room to be clean and that you loved the furniture options within the room . Our housekeeping team does an excellent job with the upkeep of our rooms and will appreciate your kind words. It is also nice to hear that Isabella's and our Waterlily Lounge took great care of you during your time here. Most importantly, I am glad to hear that all of the staff that you encountered could not have been more friendlier. Top notch guest service is what we strive for, as we know you have options when it comes to hotel stays.

We are delighted that you are interested in returning to our property in the future for a weekend break, so please feel free to reach out to me directly if you need assistance in arranging your stay. Thanks again for your time in rating our property and we look forward to taking care of you the next time you are in Mt. Pleasant.

Midland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I decided to finally stay at the Soaring Eagle for a couple's night away. We booked a basic room and got a great rate since we were staying during the week! Upon checking in we decided to ask about upgrades. Our options were a Deluxe Jacuzzi or a Superior room. They cost the same amount to upgrade, but the Superior room had a fireplace within view of the antique pedestal tub and since it was about 10 degrees out, we opted for that. This room is amazing! The bathroom was to our left when we entered and has large duel shower heads and heat lamps! If you have never experienced heat lamps in a bathroom before they are great. They actually heat up and you can feel their warmth after a shower, or just because you were cold while getting ready. The main room had a king size bed, a fireplace, small sitting area, desk, antique pedestal tub large enough for two, mini fridge and microwave. This room is very elegant. The gold fixtures tend to date it a bit, but it was still looks nice. The tub is towards the side of the room and has a handheld showerhead. The showerhead tended to leak a bit but I was really hoping there was a drain under the tile of the tub. The best part was being able to sit in the tub and watch tv while glancing over at the fireplace! Truly romantic without doing a thing! My husband greatly appreciated that! We actually started to budget to stay here once every few months for our couple's night out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy B
Dear Amy B-

We greatly appreciate your time that you took to tell us about your experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay while celebrating a couple's night out! I am glad to hear that you found our Superior Room to your liking and that you found it amazing! The Superior is definitely a great room for couples since it has the antique pedestal tub and fireplace all within the bedroom area. Personally, it is my favorite room type in the Resort. I am also glad that you enjoyed the double headed shower, as that is a great added benefit to the bathroom area along with the heat lamps. Regarding the leaky shower head, our maintenance is actually doing preventative bathroom maintenance this week so hopefully that will be corrected prior to your next stay.

We are delighted that you are interested in returning to our property in the future, so please feel free to reach out to me directly if you need assistance in arranging your stay. Thanks again for your time in rating our property and we look forward to having you at our Resort in the near future!

Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

What a way to honor our veterans! Soaring Eagle has a wonderful program for U.S. veterans. The comps are amazing, and it doesnt take a lifetime of playing earn comp $. The rooms are clean, and the beds are fairly comfortable. The pool area is very nice, and well-kept. The workout room is hidden on the second floor, but the 6 machines in the room are modern and sufficient. BIGGEST DOWNFALL is that although there is a small "somewhat non smoking" section all the way at the back of the casino, you have to wade through clouds of smoke to get to it.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anita F
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Anita F-

First off, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. It is great to hear that you have some complimentary things to say about our property! We are very proud of Hero Program over on the Casino side as it is an excellent way to honor our Veterans. I am glad that you are enjoying your earned comps and the ones that are affiliated with simply having a Hero Card. Also, thank you for your kind comments about our pool and fitness areas. The pool is always one of the first things guests look at during any hotel stay, so it is very important for this area to maintained and I am glad that you think ours is maintained. Regarding the "biggest downfall" comment, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments about having to wade through clouds of smoke. Our Engineering team on both the resort and casino side are working diligently to try to alleviate this concern.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at Soaring Eagle. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you need assistance in arranging a future stay. Thanks again for taking the time to rate our property.

Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed there for business. Although the room itself was very nice, the ventilation system smelled of stale smoke, even though we were on a non-smoking floor. (The ventilation system was very quiet too.) The bathroom had loads of counterspace and room itself was very spacious. The bed was very comfortable -- not a too soft mattress. The room also had a small refrigerator in it which we could hear turn on and off during the night, as it was pretty close to the bed and not built into a cabinet. The pool area looked very nice. The casino was very busy and full cigarette smokers! We were with a very large group and everyone complained about the smell of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Yorkielvr
Dear Yorkielvr-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. On behalf of the resort, I apologize that your recent stay was not up to your complete expectations. I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of the "stale smoke" smell that is in certain areas of the resort. Our Engineering team is working on a few solutions to solve the ventilation problems. We do monthly removals of in-room air filters, however smoke smell removal as you noticed is sometimes tough to overcome. It is unacceptable for non-smokers to have to deal with smoke and your comments will be passed onto our Engineering team.

Despite the concerns with smoke on our property, I would like to personally extend an invitation for you to come back and give our property another chance. If you happen to make it back to Mt. Pleasant to visit, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will personally handle your reservation to ensure you are completely satisfied. We will put in a request for a room on a higher floor and even can provide a Hepa Filter to aid in your comfort level. On behalf of the Casino and Resort, I again extend my apologies to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can make up for this stay.

Burt, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My girlfriend treated me to a nights stay as a Valentines gift, 2014. We were greeted with very friendly service that continued throughout the hotel/ casino for the duration of our stay. The jacuzzi room was clean and very nice.The only thing nicer than the room was the restaurant Siniikaung. What a wonderful dinner! I would definitely stay there again and recommend the resort to anyone who inquires.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Martin H-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. It is great to hear that you were able to visit us as part of a Valentine's Day celebration! We are pleased that you enjoyed your room and found it to be very clean and nice. The best part about your experience appeared to be your time at Siniikaung Steak and Chop House. I will most definitely pass on your sentiments to our Food and Beverage team, as they will glad to hear that your experience there helped to make your weekend worthwhile. Finally, from a guest service perspective, I am beyond happy that all of the staff that you encountered friendly throughout your entire stay. Our goal, as always, is to provide top notch guest service to all that walk through our doors.

We are delighted that you do enjoy our property, so please feel free to reach out to me directly if you need assistance in arranging that future stay that you had mentioned. Thanks again for your time in rating our property.

national tour
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

You walk into the lobby and you are greeted with the ever so gross cigarette smoke. This worried me, however the rooms were not smoky at all. They were very nice and roomy. I have had better beds, but these were certainly comfortable. The pool area is very big and nice. The exercise room is decent, but cramped.
Once you leave the hotel and venture to the meeting rooms, restaurants or casinos you have to be prepared to be greeted with smoke. There is no way to avoid it. Yes they have no smoking areas but smoke travels. I wish I had a good picture of me walking through the no smoking area with the sun shining through and the beams of light picking up the smoke. It was very cool to see but awful to deal with.
Skip the buffet it is not worth the price. Go to the snack bar for the same food and half the price. The little cart by the showroom is good too. The steak house is fabulous. The diner is basically the buffet but plated. The other two I didn't get a chance to eat at.
If the casino is having a special event it gets super crowded. You will be in lines for hours, unless you aren't going to the event and eat when the show is going on.
Overall, I think you could have a very good experience or a very lousy one. It just depends on your priorities. The staff is hit or miss, but be warned house keeping starts at 8am.

Room Tip: Be closer to the casino or you will be walking ten minutes just to get to the hotel lobby.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank travelinglizard2013
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Travelinglizard2013-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. On behalf of the resort, I apologize that we failed to hit the mark in a few key areas. The stench of smoke through the Resort side is unacceptable and our Engineering team is currently working on a solution to aid the property as a whole. I am a non-smoker myself, so I can certainly see how that would be aggravating and not something you would want to get greeted with as soon as you walk in the doors. It also sounds like you had mixed experiences with our Food & Beverage outlets, thus I apologize for the inconsistencies that occurred. Food should be consistently good, rather than having one place fabulous and another one lacking. I will share your concerns with our Food & Beverage team. The most troubling comment from you is how you felt our service was hit or miss. This is unacceptable as a Four Diamond Resort. My area of expertise is guest service and I will be sure to investigate as to why we fall short in the consistency department.

Despite these short comings, I would like to personally extend an invitation for you to come back and visit us again. If you happen to make it back to Mt. Pleasant to visit, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will personally handle your reservation to ensure you are completely satisfied. I would also like to hear more about your experience, so I encourage you to reach out to me at my contact information which is listed below.