“Great Get Away” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Holland,Michigan
“Great Get Away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2007

We found this the perfect getaway for our 2nd anniversary..We booked the"Water Lily" package, ~ Superior room (king size bed, gas fireplace, pedestal tub and table and two comfy chairs all in the room ,in the bathroom was as a double shower :).)The room was gorgeous and the maid services were excellent!~ daily cleaning and the turndown service at night with a room clean up and clean towels and restocked toileties and coffee supplies..turned beds down and leaves a piece of chocolate.. The package also included $25 dollar each... for each day at the WaterLily Restaurant or Lounge..and 10 each day coupon for gambling...also other coupons for bingo and such..
The pool area was awesome..adults only after 9pm..one hot tub inside and one under the stars..we loved the outdoor hottub in the evening..even had a guitar player ~playing for our intertainment.
The casino was great! We mostly play the slots..Sodas and Coffee were served to us..
We didnt eat at the buffet this time..neither one of us eat enuf to go there .. so for alunch we tried the Three Fires Grill which was Good!(cheese fries are yummy) Our favorite is the Room Service..
Great for pizza and Breakfast,,worth the Price which isnt bad..
We loved our stay.. and can't wait to return...

• Liked — We loved everly thing!
  • Disliked — Door men could smile more...
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dream4ever

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
midwest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2007

I'll start by saying this is a trule beautiful hotel. The rooms are spacious an well decorated. The resort is lovely and clean. The pool was always a hit with my kids- very large and with an indoor hot tub as well as one outdoors, too. My children loved going to Kids Quest to play while we adults went to the casino. The Cyber Quest gameroom is a lot of fun, too. This was our favorite family getaway since we have family in the area and we frequented it a couple of times a year.

During our second to last trip here in the spring we were kept up almost all night as our neighbors talked until 5 in the morning. Walls are quite thin in the hotel. My last trip was a total nightmare. We took a room next to a suite and beginning at 10pm at night, the music coming from the suite was unbearably loud. By 10:30, there must have been 30 people in the room with people constantly coming and going, talking on their cellphones outside our door, inviting more people to the party and smoking. I felt like I was at a frat party. My children were getting very frightened and in all, I made three phone calls to security over the course of 1 and 1/2 hours to get someone to come to have the party disbanded.

The first security person knocked on their door, said "please quiet down" and then promptly left. Within a minute the party was hopping again. I made a second call to let them know the gentle request to quiet down had been ignored. After 20 minutes, no one else came.Finally, around midnight, the night manager, Scott, did his best to explain to the guests why they couldn't throw a party and that they were getting complaints all the way down the hallway. After about a 20 minute discussion with them (outside our door), he got them to all leave and go somewhere else.

Scott apologized to us and to their credit, the partiers felt bad they they kept kids up and offered to buy us breakfast the next morning though we respectfully declined (for obvious reasons). In following up with the hotel weeks later, the manager on the phone listened to my story and offered a free upgrade next time I stayed. I wasn't looking to get anything free really and I mentioned to her that the experience was so disturbing to us that we most likely would never stay there again. This really didn't seem to phase her at all. I repeated what I said to her and said "and this is perfectly ok with you that I will never stay here again?" She replied "Yes". She also made a remark to me regarding the fact that she wished there were more kid friendly hotels in the area for me to utilize.

I was surprised at her remarks especially considering we had been repeat customers in their hotel/casino over the last few years. Also, with the competition for casino guests getting tough in Mighigan, I would think the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort would have been more professional in how they handled our situation as well as appreciative of our past business. We have since visted the new casino in Petoskey and New Buffalo. We are happy to take the money we were spending in their casino and Kids Quest/Cyber quest elsewhere.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — management
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank 3kings1queen
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2007

I should've known something was wrong when I exited the elevator on the 4th floor to check into my room, only to see people standing around smoking in the hallway! Turns out the 'internet rate' I'd booked was for a smoking room - as were almost all of the internet rooms! The 4th floor and the room I was booked into just reeked. Fortunately, they had a couple of non-smoking rooms available on a different floor, and I was able to switch.

This could've been avoided if the check-in process wasn't so vague - there was no "Ms. ___, we have you booked into a smoking room for one night at $_____ per night." Turns out, there's probably good reason. While most hotels advertise a double-occupancy rate, Soaring Eagle does not. The price you see online (or get over the phone) is PER PERSON, and the rates are hefty!

The casino was fine (very smoky, without the decent air filtration so common now in most casinos), Firefly Buffet ok, but way overpriced at $19.95/person. An ok stay, but would certainly look into other area motels for the price paid.

• Liked — Pretty place - peaceful Native American influence throughout
  • Disliked — The cigarette smoke - it's everywhere!!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank easyworld
Houston, Tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2007

We were in Michigan for a wedding and decided to stay at the Soaring Eagle Casino for a night. We reserved thru the hotel/casino website and got a decent rate w/ free breakfast and some gambling money. The room was pretty good, I'd say between a Holiday Inn and a Hyatt. The pool area was fabulous. The restaurant's were better than average for a hotel. The casino was big, noisy and smoky, like most casino's in the U.S. I go nuts over all the people who complain about smoky casino's. Hey, it's one of the only places where we smokers can smoke in peace. If you don't like it, don't go. I will say, the casino hosts were not as nice as at the casino's we frequent in Vegas and New Orleans. They were almost rude and treated us like we were bothering them. The VERY few drink girls that we encountered were very nice and friendly, but there were way too few of them.
Overall, I was pleased with the hotel, but the casino had a lot to be desired.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Casino employees
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elkayandboro
Muskegon, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2007

My husband and I desperately needed a "weekend get-away" and did not want to travel too far. (we live in West Michigan) We are not big gamblers but I checked out this resort because it was not too far to drive and it looked really beautiful. We wanted good food and nice room and some activity. We sure got all of it! Our room was a Superior room with a dbl shower and a pedestal tub. It was gorgeous!
This was a wonderful stay and we are looking forward to going back. I booked a "waterlily package" which included coupons for the Waterlily Restaurant for each night. We misread the coupons and thought they were expired so we didnt use them. Later I looked at them again (at home) and found they would have been okay to use! We missed out on saving $50.00 on dinner, but I got over it since we loved our weekend. I would highly recommend spending the money on the
hotel and in the Waterlily Lounge and Restaurant. I might contact the
Hotel and ask if they can extend the expiration date on the coupons so we can use in the future. I hope they will!

• Liked — My room!
  • Disliked — No mini fridge
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lisel
Grand Rapids Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2007

I was there for a business meeting and not to gamble, so someone going to gamble may have a very different view on the place.

The rooms are fine; standard for a nicer property, but I found the service indifferent at best. Decent-sized bath; the room was actually a bit on the small side.

There is no internet access in the rooms--not even for a fee. The TV channel selection is limited. I'm sure this is all deliberate to keep you out of the room and in the casino. This won't bother you if you're there to gamble non-stop.

The worst to me is that the whole hotel smells smoky. Even the non-smoking rooms have a slight haze. This stems from the high number of gambling smokers and the whole place seems to have a relaxed attitude about smoking.

As to meals, I had some superior ones and some poor ones; so I understand the variation in the reviews. The place is inconsistent when it comes to meal service.

Room service was quick and friendly.

Overall, I'd rather stay at the Hampton for about half the price :)

6 Thank Frequentflyermom