“Nothing working, lack of problem solving abilities from staff”
Review of HEM Apartelle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vigan
HEM Apartelle
Ranked #11 of 32 Vigan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 November 2013

At first the hotel looked perfectly fine to us. Room was basic but clean. The hotel staff promised us free wifi, hot/cold shower airco and TV for P1000. All fine, we checked in and that's when the disappointment started. At first there was no WiFi. Staff knew this but did not tell us anything and just gave us the password. When we asked if it was possibly not working they said they knew. Why could they not tell us that straight away? Well, no WiFi.. still fine, we don't mind too much. When we wanted to take a shower there seemed to be NO water running out of the shower. Not even cold water. We asked the staff member about this and he said there was no water in the entire building. Then he admitted that we were the only guests with this problem and he didn't bother too much about it. We asked for a room move. Not possible. Hotel fully booked. We asked for some kind of discount since we had to pay for a shower and wifi and both didn't work. No discount possible. Eventually I had to came up with the idea myself if we could shower in the dorm room. That was possible. Only cold shower though. This room was under renovation. The staffmember asked me if we wanted to extend for the next day. I told him yes but to please move us to antoher room is possible. He would try to arrange this.
The next morning there was another staff member at the reception and when I came down and asked him if we could extend it was not possible anymore all of a sudden. He told us that we could move to the dorm room that was under construction and with only cold shower for the same rate!!! I couldn't believe what I've heard. I told him about all the troubles last night. He didn't know about it and didn't care either. We refused to stay in an unfinished dormitory for P1000 so we checked out. This hotel is fine as long as you don't have any problems. As soon as there is something wrong/not working it's too bad for you. The staff doesn't care and they are lying as well. They just want to make as much money as possible. I understand this is a budget hotel and we are really used to the lowest standards and we don't ask for much but honestly, this was disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fjopreis

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed with a group, excellent value for money for groups on a tight budget. Its very close to Calle Crisologo and within the heritage district. Will stay here again, this time bringing in my family. The light at the shower room was broken--we had to shower while a door was open to let some light in.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank backpacker1023
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed with three friends on October 20, 2013.

This is one of the nice, budget friendly hotels in Vigan especially that it is right inside
the heritage area. Booking was quite easy and the caretaker readily replied to my queries. Room was 500 per night complete with a TV, a nice bathroom, closets, tables and comfortable beds (which is nice considering that it is just 500 night).

Location is superb, it is just at the back of Calle Crisologo and other dining options are accessible within 5 minutes of walking from the hostel.

Hostel has a good balcony overlooking the Vigan skyline where you can smoke and chat with other travellers (lucky for us, we were just the customers that night).

My only problem is that their wifi signal is inconsistent (it needs to be reset regularly, but the attendants are willing to do it) and their showers don't work at midnight (I guess they turn it off during the night). Nevertheless, it was a decent stay at a pretty decent price, something that backpackers on a budget would love.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank rehey121488
Reviewed 16 March 2013

LOCATION
- This is always important, eh?
- It's 2 (?) small/tiny blocks away from Calle Crisologo
- The tricycle driver I got didn't really know the place
- It seems that HEM's water is more popular, which is also owned by HEM's Apartelle
- Because of this, I took photos of the shops on the left and right side of the Apartelle
- Facing the building, there's a hardware on the right called Tan Pue Sia Hardware
- On the left, there's a computer shop called "Planet Earth"
- I'm not sure of the full name but I think it's "Planet Earth Computer Center" or something like that
- Vigan is tiny
- Depending on the person, but for me, the major attraction is only in Calle Crisologo
- So wherever you stay around Calle Crisologo should be okay

ROOM
- 500pesos per person per night
- With a/c, cable tv, hot and cold shower
- Towels are also provided
- The room was very clean, very basic, but very clean
- The beds were of course not 5-star quality, but they are very comfortable to sleep in
- Although it may be a bit hard for some people
- My back is very sensitive to really hard beds/surfaces, but theirs was just right, it didn't give me back pains at all
- The shower area was really tiny though
- But since you won't spend all your time in the shower area anyway, this should not be much of a problem
- Unless probably if you are a really big person
- I'm pretty tall and had to hold the shower thingy on my hand so I can clean my head/hair properly

STAFF
- I think I mainly dealt with 1 staff
- He was the guard, the front desk, the bellboy(?) all rolled into one
- Remember that this is a small place
- The all-around guy was nice, helpful and polite

Overall:
- It's excellent for its price
- I don't have anything to complain about
- I would definitely stay here again when I go to Vigan

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank inutme
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed here on Nov. 23-24, 2012. The room that we got has three double decks. it's room 12 located on the first floor near the reception area. rate is 500 per person but kids below 12 years are free of charge. two security guards are the only persons in that apartelle. they just hire somebody to clean the room.

pros
- room is very clean and looks new
- there is water heater
- they provide towels and tissue
- they have a ministore in the reception area where you can buy affordable toilettries and snacks
- it's just 5-min walk away from the famous calle crisologo

con
- the toilet's flush in our room was not working. I told it to the guard but he just gave me a plunger to pump the toilet myself. ewww!
he was apologetic though and insisted that it was the first time it happened. lucky me. i didn't want to clean it myself and asked him to transfer us to another room but there was no more available room. so he just cleaned the toilet himself and gave us a key to room 23 on the
2nd floor so we can use its bathroom. seems like it's the apartelle owner's room. but we did not use it.

I would like to note that the security guards are polite, helpful, and honest. They returned my father's cellphone and reading glasses when he forgot it when we checked out. I could have given this apartelle a VERY GOOD rate if not only to the broken toilet flush issue.

in case you plan to stay there and they give you room 12, confirm first if the toilet flush is already fixed.

Room Tip: room 12's toilet flush is broken. ask for another room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank rozanne b
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We arrived in Vigan late at night. We checked the rates of other hotels and they were expensive. We chanced upon Hem Apartelle and decided to ask for their rates. It was Php 500 per person and we were 3.

As the other reviews have said, the apartelle was very basic. It contained just beds and a table. No closets. But it was clean and the beds were firm but comfortable. The shower was very narrow and the bathroom was a bit of a tight squeeze, but again, it was clean. There was a hot and cold shower, which was great as we were weary from our trip.

They do not serve food but you can order breakfast from a nearby restaurant or canteen and have it delivered to the inn. Also, Abuelita's resto is just around the corner.

Hem is located near Calle Crisologo, about 5 minutes' walk.

Room Tip: It's not really a room tip, but here's a tip anyway: Try the sinanglaw at Gloria's near...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank biyay2
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Very basic accommodation. But clean rooms, good beds, and plumbing worked well. Central location in Vigan. No restaurant facilities on site, but many restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family