“Nice hotel”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Trincomalee
Bishop Auckland
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights on a trip round Sri Lanka and initially thought it was a shambles of a hotel, but changed our minds a bit during our stay. The room was fairly scruffy and really needed a major overhaul, but the staff were very friendly and helpful, and the food was good. The pool was dirty and the beach was dog-infested. The town itself was a disappointment.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jon2512

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Tangalla, null, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I only went to eat a burguer becauce food was terrible in my hotel and I would like to say it was fabolous. Nice service, difficult to find in Sri Lanka and very good location, just on the beach..... with a very
Nice swimming pool.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Lidia M
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I visited Triincomalee for the second time and this time chosen to stay in little better hotel. This hotel is right in front of the Uppuveli beach and beautiful view of endless horizon of Indian Ocean. This lies in famous tourist area and close by there are many other hotels – a popular is Chhaya Blue but bit expensive. However all depends upon seasons, and sometime the rate of this hotel (Sea lotus park) can be similar to Chhaya Blue and in that case, I would highly recommend Chhaya Blue. However, given that you have a good deal with hotel on tariff, this is also a great hotel with nice restaurant, good swimming pool and a small bar. Many rooms available (independent hut type) facing the sea, which gives you a different feeling. I stayed in 1st floor of building bit far from beach but you can still have a good view from balcony. In general room was good and huge with all required facilities and I liked it with my good sleep as well. The food (I have dinner and breakfast) was good but I would recommend some improvement in quality as next day I had my upset stomach. Not a great bar – recommend to go to next door – Fernando bar which I have enjoyed even during my last stay and this time as well. In general good hotel with pleasant and helpful staff given that you had a great deal on your package.

Room Tip: Select top floor rooms or small huts facing sea beach
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mukesh S
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I was staying close by to the Sea Lotus and the food there was the best on the beach. If you get the sri lankan curry it's too much for one person (I'm a BIG eater) so try and share!
I'm also veg so didn't try the seafood but my friends love it - especially the cuttle fish :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DublinGuy75
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We arrived late in the evening to Uppuvali and a day of travelling so didn't have a lot of time to check other hotels out. The bungalows in the front are extremely overpriced for how dated they are. The standard rooms are okay and the deluxe rooms are nice, but we found the service a bit iffy and the restaurant not very clean looking (I think I had a bit of a funny tummy from this place). Worth it if you're looking for a "hotel" but otherwise stay in one of the smaller guesthouses.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I went for a drink here after having a terrible experince at the next door ( Aqua In - Fernandos Bar) here. This is also no second to their neighbour. A stary cat get on to my lap at the bar while i was having a drink. The terrace of the restaurant is full of dirty water and not cleaned for days. From the security to the wait staff, Receptionists dont know whats a hotel and whats customer service mean. They think that they are doing some favour to guests. I was waiting for 45 minutes for a dish. Its cheaply built and maintained. Unnecessary glitters and receptionists are wearing tie ( Please ......) and sitting while customers are struggling for service... This kind of places are just run and owned by unprofessionals and they dont care about service. IT can be a budget place.. but u should have a clean and properly run place. Poor value for money and terrible sorrounding.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Trincomalee hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 September 2013

After reading the more recent reviews from travelers, I'm beginning to think that Aqua Inn has paid people to write nasty reviews about their neighbor, Sea Lotus Park. I have no idea how anyone in their right mind could think that Aqua Inn is the superior hotel. Cleaner? Not a chance. Friendlier? You've got to be kidding me. Cheaper? Yes, but not if you count what you'll have to pay for inoculations against whatever disease you might pick up over there.

After a night at Aqua in one of the dirtiest rooms I've ever seen (and I've been to 40+ countries) and being treated rudely by the management, I searched for other nearby options. Sea Lotus Park was right next door and everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful right from the start. In fact, even though I only stayed there a day, most of the staff knew me by name before I left.

My first room was on the small side, but I had asked for their cheapest room. Still, it had ocean views and opened up right to the beach -- can't beat that! Unlike next door, a hot water shower and A/C were included in the price, and the queen-size bed was a true queen, not two beds pushed together. There was even a TV and a small fridge, which were the first I'd seen in a hotel of this price range in my three weeks traveling in Sri Lanka. (St. Andrew's in Nuwara Eliya had a TV, but no fridge, and it's considered one of the best hotels in the entire country.)

When the air conditioner stopped working in my room, I was immediately upgraded to a new room that was three times the size. And they were all so friendly about it!

The Wi-Fi is currently available only in the lobby, but it's super fast. Every time I plopped myself down on the couches to send emails, the staff would offer to bring me a fan and water. Very much appreciated!

True, there's less of a "scene" over at Sea Lotus, but I do hope people start to bring their business next door to Sea Lotus, where the people are much friendlier.

My only advice to Sea Lotus:
* Fix the door locks. Some of them are very difficult to open, which can be frustrating.
* Get some fans in the dining room. It's hot in there!
* The dining room staff should be more alert. I had to hunt down a waiter several times. They're very courteous, just not very attentive (which may just be a cultural difference, as I've found this to be true throughout most of the country).
* There's probably not much that can be done about this, but is there some way to ward off the flies? Every time I ate on the patio, it was like a fly invasion. Would fans help? Citronella?

Otherwise, thanks so much from saving me from the hostile hostel next door! I greatly enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to anyone who plans to visit Trinco.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank StJenna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trincomalee
Amaranthe Bay Resort
#2 of 5 in Nilaveli
Anantamaa Trincomalee
Anantamaa Trincomalee
#2 of 90 in Trincomalee

Been to Sea Lotus Park Hotel? Share your experiences!