“Penultimate Skiing!!”
Review of Valley Spur

Ranked #24 of 40 things to do in Munising
More attraction details
Owner description: Only a few thousand people ski the 22-mile Valley Spur trail each year.
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The 26 miles of groomed trails are among the finest in the world. When the lodge is open, it is a great warming hut and the conversation is always agreeable. Special events like Taste and Glide as well as the friendly volunteers make this a great place to stop and ski in the winter. There's a real effort on the part of the volunteers to make this a special place!!

There are newer reviews for Valley Spur

Reviewed 21 February 2013

The ski trails are unmatchable for being well groomed, especially of you are a skater but it's strider friendly too. I have to put in a plug for the Friends of Valley Spur. They always have hot water for tea or hot chocolate and often a big pot of soup going for their guests. I accidentally left a pair of ski boots there and a year later they were still in the lost and found! Please send them a donation!

1  Thank David T
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We went cross country skiing here 2 winters ago and loved it. There is a warming house with a wooden stove and there was a pot of chili that a local ski club was selling as a fund raiser. The trails themselves range from beginner to expert and they were well groomed. The trails were well signed and felt like I knew where I was. We enjoyed heating up some hot chocolate on a stove afterwards. If you like to cross country ski then I recommend the Valley Spur trails.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

We went biking on 2 different trails at Valley Spur. The first was a 4 mile trail that we really should have investigated better. It was meant for expert mountain bikers looking for a challenging trail, and we are NOT experts and had two kids with us! Duh! But it was absolutely beautiful! Later we went back and tried out an easy trail. It was well-groomed and super easy to ride on. Also beautiful. The entire Munising area is fantastic and we enjoyed our time camping there very much!! We now would love to come back and see it under snow cover!

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Valley Spur is a nature enthusiast's paradise. Geared for all four seasons, Valley Spur has a network of biking, hiking, skiing, and snowshoe trails that provide the visitor with a variation of flora and fauna. The trails are rated according to difficulty based on terrain and level/degree of ascent/descent. Spring and Summer offer ponds and lakes, with numerous waterfowl and woodland creatures to make the travel interesting. Fall at Valley Spur is stunning with its fall color from the numerous hardwood and fur stands that are prevelant to this part of the Hiawatha National Forest. Winter shines at Valley Spur for the snowshoer and cross country skiier. Throughout each season, volunteer groups groom the trails and host different events for people of all ages. Two of the most popular events are the "Tour Da Woods" bike races held in September and the "Taste and Glide" held the first weekend of March each year.
The lodge is open for special events and through the winter months and is closed during the Spring and Summer months.
Dogs are permitted on the trails except during the Winter. Bear and Bird hunting is also permitted when in-season.
While I have seen the occasional trails and "leavings" from coyotes, wolves, and bear through the many years I have used these trails, I have yet to see a wolf or bear. But it is advisable to carry pepper spray and a whistle with you. These are a must for anyone visiting the wilderness areas in the Upper Peninsula.
Bears have their young in the late Spring and are more unpredictable at this time so travel safe and be watchful and respectful of all wildlife....they are wild and will attack if they feel threatened or smell food. I usually carry water with me and avoid carrying food or wearing clothes that carry the scent of my breakfast or latest meal. Follow the rules and your visit will be a great one. Happy journey!

1  Thank theresa571