Alger Falls Motel
US$111
US$105
Terrace Motel(Munising)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspictured rockssmall cottagewifi worked very wellthe air conditioningcouple milesgreat place to stayno frillstourist areapleasant staymini fridgesnowmobile trailsroom was clean and comfortablecable tvoff the highwaynational lakeshorestayed nightswould stay again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed there during our hikes around pictured rocks. Great place to stay. Staff is really friendly. A little outdated, but added to the character of the place(it looks like they have been upgrading some of the areas). For the price, really didn't expect a coffee maker or hair dryer in the room. Wasn't a big deal to walk to the office to get coffee or hair dryer. Have recommended the place to other people and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2013

If you're looking for an inexpensive clean room to spend the night, this might be the motel for you. A tv, refrigerator and microwave are provided and coffee is served in the lobby early in the morning. The rooms are small, so if you're travelling with children, unless they're ready for bed when you hit the door, you might want to reconsider. It doesn't look like anything has been updated for years and the cleaning crew missed our room one morning. Outside of these notes, there are no real complaints. You get what you pay for!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We've visited the UP four times now and three of those times we've stayed at the Alger Falls. The place is always well maintained and the room is always clean. The room could be a bit bigger but for the price it's not an issue. The bed was comfortable and the staff is always very nice. I don't think the road noise is an issue with the window closed. We put the air conditioner on fan and that blocked out any noise. The fridge in the room is a nice feature to have. In this price range the lack of a coffee maker in the room doesn't surprise me. The free coffee in the office tasted okay to me.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Drambler
Reviewed 7 September 2013

When I booked this hotel, I did notice the mixed reviews, but I thought I would give it a chance.

Pros: Fresh exterior paint, Free WiFi, Coffee and ice, friendly front staff

Cons: Soiled Linens, crawl space issues, dirty carpet.

Upon check-in we had to pay up front (first clue). When we first walked into our room, there was a can of fogging disinfectant spray (see image) on a clean wash rag sitting on the desk next to the TV. The whole room was extremely overpowering with the odor of the recently released disinfectant spray. We opened all the windows and doors. We immediately brought it to the front desk and received an explanation.

The desk clerk said that rooms 101-105 had a musty smell in them coming from the crawl space beneath them and that the disinfectant was there to correct that issue. We were a bit concerned, because we had two small pets along with us and had planned to leave them at the motel while we took a local cruise along the Pictured Rocks National Park lake shore. (We later discovered that the cruise line had kennels. Thank goodness!) We aired out the room for an entire hour before off-loading our belongings and our pets. The smell lingered, but no longer burned the lungs.

The exterior of the building had fresh wood stain and sealant and looked very nice. The room we had was clean, but the bathroom floor kept tracking with our footprints from the carpet in the main room. We had brought along paper towels and would periodically wipe it down. (There was a note in the bathroom that occupants would be charged for any linens used to clean other surfaces, such as snowmobiles and cars.)

In the morning, as we were straightening the linens, we noticed that the mattress pad was soiled from previous guests (two distinct stains). Disgusting! We had slept on that! Up until this point, I was willing to forgive the disinfectant spray and give them a moderate review, but this was inexcusable.

I would never stay here again. Definitely NOT worth the money. We paid $95 for this room and would have been better off in town at a yet higher rate.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here. If you must, choose a room higher than 101-105, as these rooms are regularly disinfected with a caustic fogging spray.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jolene B
afmotel, Owner at Alger Falls Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Yes, I forgot to take the spray out of your room and open the windows. I apologized for that. We have fixed the crawl space and I would be happy to bring you to show you. We also just put brand new carpet in all the rooms last spring. We thought we solved the issue but now know we still have some work to do with those rooms and are addressing them. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed one night in a room in the east building. The girl at the desk was friendly.
The room seemed to be clean. The water pressure in the shower was great. Lots of road noise, even with the door and windows closed. Furniture okay but had a "70's" or "Sauder" look or feel to it. An arm cushion on one of "banquet room" styled chairs was loose. No big complaints, but overall I feel it should have been about $25 cheaper per night. I will stay elsewhere on my next trip to Munising.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends