“Great vacation in Northern Michigan”

North Star Hotel – Pictured Rocks
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States
“Great vacation in Northern Michigan”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This hotel was great. The rooms were clean and the beds were great. The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. The breakfast each morning was good consisting of eggs, sausages, waffles, fruit, etc. We had a very good stay here. It is in a quiet area of town and close to all attractions. The only thing wrong with the hotel is that the water in the shower kept going from hot to cold and you needed to adjust it. The water pressure was great in the shower. We stayed here for four nights and enjoyed it. We will stay here again we go back to the Upper Pennisula.

2 Thank pla57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Very rude middle aged blonde at the desk was condescending and snarky. We are well aware of the no smoking in the room policy, Not only was she short with us she made it a point to say that even if she thought our room "smelled slightly of smoke" she would fine us. Ok we get it. No "thank you" was muttered or "enjoy your stay", just sauntered back to her hovel to be miserable. The next morning; made the mistake of trying to get a mini bottle of shampoo because i didn't want to use the hand soap dispenser in the shower - got ignored for 30 minuets before a housekeeper was kind enough to accomodate. Signs were posted every where in the room "do NOT use towels for wiping luggage you Will be charged" blah blah blah. We became unsure if we could sit in the chair or lay on the bed without a fine or fee. Will not be returning to this hotel, Would like to suggest a course in customer service for the desk staff or an elephant gun full of midol.

Room Tip: Go down the road to the holiday inn!!!!!!!!
3 Thank Jimbo H
Jenison, Michigan
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The owner at this Super 8 actually works behind the counter and is quite helpful. The location is outside of Munising, but is conveniently located. The breakfast was a deluxe continental, which consisted of eggs, waffles, biscuits and gravy, fruit, etc. I didn't realize there was a pool, but apparently it's pretty nice. The price seemed a tad high, but all lodging in Michigan is pricey during the summer. The only negative things I can find were: 1) the hot water in the shower kept fading in and out and 2) staff inadvertently gave another party our room after we had been there 1 night and they opened the door while I was sitting there. Good thing I was dressed lol. I can honestly say that has never happened before, but thankfully, I was dressed and was just on my laptop. The wifi connection is good too, so no issues there. I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and there are 2 floors. Keep that in mind if you have a lot of luggage.
2 Thank cbmae1965
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We have two sons opposite of each other and not been brotherly and of course makes the parents thnking what a trip would be the past two days were horrible, until we arrive here in
Munising. The front desk person was the owner and helped us calm the boys down and plan a
day together that was something for everyone . We went on the Ripe Tide which was awesome and we to the waterfalls and the pictured rocks park at Miners beach and walked the trails and did a picnic, which was a great idea, went to another beach Sand point and Sydneys rest for dinner and the Flamingo for ice cream and the best of all our sons were nice to each other the whole time !! I wasn't sure they were ours I don't know everything Marie said to them at breakfast, by the way great breakfast, something for everyone, but we had a very enjoyable day!
Thank you I recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: having a refrig is a plus there is all rooms , on elevator so call the hotel if you need lower level...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Grand Rapids
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I just got back from a long weekend trip to the UP. We stayed one night in Munising/Wetmore and would rate this our best hotel for this trip. We didn't want to go over $80 a night for any of our hotel stays, so we didn't have real high expectations... but this Super 8 exceeded!! The bathroom had a newer tiled floor, the room was very clean and smelled fresh. The front desk was very helpful and gave good advice for our plans with taking the boat tour at the Pictured Rocks. We planned to use the spa room as we were very impressed by it, but were to tired when we got back from our plans that day. The breakfast was excellent - eggs, sausage, waffles, etc... Would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joysoftravel5
Adirondacks
Reviewed 16 June 2013

On 6/13 at 10pm I made an online reservation for the night of 6/14. I soon got an email confirmation advising that any cancellation would need to be made by 4pm on 6/13. Since this was 6 hrs prior to when I had made the reservation, I assumed (mistakenly) that this was an error. I didn't check because I fully expected to keep the reservation. However, on 6/14 my husband wasn't feeling well so we got a late start and made slower than expected progress so about 3pm I called Super 8 to cancel the reservation. I explained it was questionable whether we could make it so we wanted to cancel. They advised they could not cancel as the deadline from the day before had already passed. I asked the clerk to double check with the manager and call me back. She did call back as requested but only to confirm they would not cancel the reservation. I have stayed many places and rarely ever cancel but I have always had the option to cancel the same day (times vary from one facility to another). Dont make a reservation here unless you are absolutely positive you can keep it!!! That cancellation policy is set in stone!!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Adirondacker70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
Holiday Inn Express Munising -  Lakeview
Pictured Rocks Inn & Suites
Alger Falls Motel
Alger Falls Motel
#8 of 11 in Munising

Been to North Star Hotel – Pictured Rocks? Share your experiences!