“A nice surprise”

North Star Hotel – Pictured Rocks
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I normally would never stay at a Super 8 however every other motel in town was booked solid. This Super 8 is the exception. It was very clean and quite pleasant. The bathroom looked updated and the water was nice and hot with great water pressure. They offer a hot breakfast which was an added bonus. Waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage and gravy with biscuits are available as well as the usual cereals and oatmeal. I think it was a value for the price. We would stay again!

• Stayed: August 2014
Marie S, Owner at North Star Hotel – Pictured Rocks, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

I am glad you were surprised! We try our best and our housekeepers work hard to keep things clean. Our breakfast is the best in town from other hotels and there is something for everyone.
Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Rooms were average size. We had a fridge with 2 queen beds. Hotel very clean and beds comfortable. Wall A/C units. Clothes rack but no "closet". No TV channel guide in the room so you have to channel surf to see what is on and where. Wall outlet are very limited because everyone is used by lamps, TV, fridge etc. Had to move a lamp to use the 1 plug on it near the table to share so I could use my laptop then plug my laptop in. There is a computer and printer in the breakfast area to use however, no ink in the printer. I was told a previous guest used the computer and printer for 3 hours the previous night and used up all the ink. They had no extra cartridges. The hotel was sold out the night we stayed and through the entire weekend so poor planning on getting supplies for guests to use.

Breakfast was average. Sausage, eggs. B&G but the gravy was watery. Other standard items. No newspaper and the store across the road had only previous days newspapers.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmrdar

Thank you for staying with us, We have a guest computor and printer for anyones use, some guest forced the printer cartridge and broke it , somethings are out of our controll. We had to replace the printer with a new one, so you cant blame the hotel. For the newspaper, we are a very small town and it only comes out once a week, which is Wednesdays, our newspapers from other areas dont always come on time and no one stocks up on them.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We normally don't stay at Super 8s but this was one of the hotels that had some availability for the night we were in town and decided to try it.
For the most part, our impression was very favorable. It was one of the cleanest hotel rooms we have stayed in and we have stayed in hotels that were a lot "higher end" than this. Check in was easy and we did not have to check out, was given our receipt at that time, so no delays when we were ready to leave. They have a breakfast buffet in the morning which was better than most.....coffee, juices, fruit, danish rolls, biscuits, gravy, eggs, corned beef hash and two waffle irons that actually worked perfectly.
This is a tourist town and the price for this hotel was in line with what and where it was (the chain hotel down the road was over twice the price as this, although it does have water frontage if that's important to you)
All in all, I was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations and more than pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel. (yes, as a previous reviewer indicated, too few electrical outlets!)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I am happy you were pleased. We try our best and have a great housekeeping staff. We are working on the electrical outlet problem by putting in eletrical outlet strips. Hope to see you again ,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Super 8 while exploring the neighboring waterfalls and lake area. It was a good home base for our explorations, since the location was off the main road and near the town. We had not planned the stay and simply popped in for a room mid-day. The front desk woman, whom I suspected was the co-owner, was very friendly and accommodating. We got there before normal check in, but she chased the housekeeping staff down until she could confirm a room was available. The only negative experience I had with the front desk woman was that she could not recommend a restaurant in town. Otherwise she was quite pleasant.

The room was incredibly clean and appeared to have been renovated recently, as everything looked new with the exception of the comforters. The temperature control unit was a bit noisy, but worked great and blocked some of the traffic noise. The bathroom was sparkling clean and the bed was firm.

My words of caution... I did not conduct my due diligence and only looked through the pictures without reading the full amenities. The picture of what I thought was a pool was really just an oversized hot tub that is not well maintained. The water was over-chlorinated and well beyond the temperature limit. (I like when spas are hotter than average, but this was so hot that I could not even get in.) I'm pretty sure they just have it for show and do not actually expect patrons to use it.

The breakfast was fairly standard for a super 8. It consisted of microwaved sausage, eggs, make-your-own waffles, expired yogurt, and the usual continental breakfast items. It's a money saver, considering there are no cheap breakfast places nearby, but definitely not the most palatable choice.

Overall, it met my expectations and my need. The cleanliness was a big plus and I would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We do not use chlorine, we use bromine and for the heat the thermostate wasnt working I found out , added cold water and maintance repaired it shortly afterward. If ever a problem with anything anywhere you go , you need to contact the front desk,

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was on the main highway.The desk clerk seemed fairly disinterested in our arrival.Our room was clean but had few outlets and a tiny shampoo and tinier soap bar.Breakfast was the normal set up for motel 8. Seemed pretty overpriced for standard room.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review, I am happy you stayed with us, We are the best hotel in town with the best rate and breakfast and accomadations, I am not sure what you were wanting,but thank you.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I would stay here again the next time I visit. The hotel was very clean, new carpet, plenty of towels, had a refrigerator. The breakfast was fine, great coffee, you had everything that you needed. You can also rent ORV's and hit the trails.

Room Tip: bring your own toiletries which I did.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S O

Thank you for staying with us! and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

From the experience of staying in many Super 8 across Midwest I can surely say its one of the best Super 8 considering the business model of this chain. The location is perfect, stuff is friendly, room & toilet is neat, bigger with better amenities than other Super 8. So I will highly recommend this for your budget travel.

For detailed experience of my Upper Peninsula Trip(as part of which I stayed in here) and for pictures you can have a look at my travel memoir if you get a chance

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I am happy you enjoyed your stay, We try hard and my housekeeping staff is great.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
Holiday Inn Express Munising -  Lakeview
Beach Inn Motel on Munising Bay
White Pine Lodge
White Pine Lodge
#1 of 2 in Christmas

Been to North Star Hotel – Pictured Rocks? Share your experiences!