“Bed bugs, be warned”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Wisconsin
“Bed bugs, be warned”
Reviewed 13 August 2008

We had a great stay but I noticed blood stains on the sheets, which I thought was pretty disgusting. I wish I'd known then that this is a classic sign of serious bed bug infestation. We came home with them and it has cost me 4 days of preparation and cleanup and $1000 for extermination. When I called the hotel to warn them, the clerk was defensive, saying repeatedly, "I haven't heard anything about that." Seems to me if that were true, when I told her we'd gotten them, she'd be horrified and offer a refund, with promises to exterminate. My guess, and my guess only, is that they know there is a problem and want to avoid lawsuits so won't admit it. I feel I should warn people in case they're ignoring the problem. Do not stay there unless you get promises that they've exterminated. Even then, be careful. It's been an absolute nighmare, taking more time and money than our original vacation, and I wish I'd never gone.

Stayed July 2008
4 Thank Munacil
HolidayinnMUN, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview, responded to this review, 20 March 2009
This was an isolated incident that was immediately taken care of sparing no expense to be sure the problem was solved. Upon discovery of the problem we shut down an entire floor of the hotel to be sure the problem was not spread. Every room on that floor was then completely gutted, redone, and continuously monitored to insure the problem was taken care of. We continue to be monitored by an outside vendor and no new evidence of a problem has emerged.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Indiana
Reviewed 26 May 2008

We loved this Holiday Inn. Because of other reviews, we requested a lakeview room on the top floor. We didn't notice any noise and loved the view. We also appreciated the small fridge to keep some snacks in. The kids loved the indoor pool with the fountain and shallow end of the water. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed the continental breakfast with hot and cold items to choose from. It was a little outside of the Munising area, but still convenient to the things we wanted to do. Great choice!

• Liked — The view and the pool
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Farmington, Michigan
Reviewed 6 December 2007

Our friends booked this place for a snowmobile trip and we enjoyed our stay... having a pool & hot tub in cold weather was nice. It is a ways from town but right next to the trails for easy access. The view of the lake is nice too... Go to the Dogpatch Inn in town for vittles.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank lilacs109
Midwest
Reviewed 25 October 2007

It is the best hotel in Munising, with lovely views and new enough (2 yrs) old to show well. However, the building itself was constructed on the cheap. As I sit here in the hotel writing this the entire floor and ceiling is shaking because there is construction 500 yds away at the shore. Last night I could hear almost every word of my neighbors conversation because the walls were so thin. Ask to be on the top floor because otherwise you will hear every move above you. Disappointing because it's situation on the lake is great - wish they would have spent a little extra for quality construction.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The Poor Construction which equalled noise and building shaking from cars going by
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Rural-Traveler
MI
Reviewed 21 September 2007

My wife, dog, and I stayed here in September 2007. We chose this hotel because of the excellent reviews and also because they are pet friendly. Just as the other reviews say, this hotel was beautiful and excellent.

Check in was fast and efficient - our keys and paperwork was all ready for us. We were also given a "doggie bag" for our dog. We were given a room on the first floor with a patio door which was great for our dog! If you do not have a pet, I would recommend requesting for a room on the upper floors so that your view will be nicer.

The room was nice and clean, the view was wonderful, and the weather was great! The free continental breakfast was good and I was happy to see that they had eggs, cheese, and sausage so that you can make a breakfast sandwich.

Overall, like the others say, a wonderful hotel with excellent service and facilities. Would recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Great view, pet friendly, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 September 2007

We had no problems with this hotel. The view of Lake Superior was wonderful! The staff was great and made every effort to ensure our satisfaction. The room was clean and comfortable. We would definitely stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 8 September 2007

Holiday Inn Express at Munising, MI was wonderful! We did not want to leave. The view of Lake Superior from balcony of guest room was spectacular. Staff was friendly, bed was very comfortable, a generous breakfast was included in room charge, but the view of Lake Superior makes this hotel exceptional. Highly recommend Holiday Inn Express at Munising, MI to everyone traveling that area, and I hope to return there someday myself.

Stayed September 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
Boarders Inn and Suites by Cobblestone Munising
Pictured Rocks Inn & Suites
Village Inn Motel
Village Inn Motel
#1 of 1 in Chatham

Been to Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview? Share your experiences!