“Amazing hotel and great prices”

Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Munising
MI
“Amazing hotel and great prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We had a great time at the Holiday Inn Express in Munising, MI. The hotel is amazing and the surrounding area is top notch. We enjoyed the pool and the town of Munising. It was also a great launch point for a camping trip through the Pictured Rocks Lakeshore.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

The location of this hotel is beautiful with beautiful views, which is why it is so unfortunate it is not nicely kept to our surprise. This hotel had great reviews, so I had no doubts that it was to be nice, especially for almost $200 a night in the UP of Michigan, not the case.

We immediately noticed how filthy the entry way was, but didn't think much of it. My daughter didn't want to swim in the pool because there were piles of sand all over the bottom of the pool. We weren't sure if it was algae or what. When I asked about it, I was told it was sand and was always like that due to the hotel's pump(?). Except for that, and the rusty sides, the pool area was lovely.

Again, the breakfast area was nice, bright and large, but things tended to be sticky, not wiped off. There was cream gunk dripping down the front of the garbage cupboards (there both days), again if it wasn't for this, it would have been great.

Elevator filthy, didn't look like it had been vacuumed or wiped in months. Computer area very dusty.

Room wasn't as bad as other areas of the hotel, very big room, nice balcony. We stayed at 4 different hotels during our vacation this would have been our favorite if it would have been as clean as the others and not the most expensive

Hotel has great potential if they would clean it, nice decor.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

This hotel is slightly out of town but overlooks a great piece of Lake Superior shoreline. We had a lakeview room that had a nice balcony (albeit with plastic chairs) that overlooked Munising Bay. It was clean, comfortable, updated and if it were 500 miles south, would have cost three times as much. This was a splurge ($160 per night) for this area (where hotels go for much less), but well worth every penny for the sunrise that you get in the morning. The staff was friendly and even went to look for a box for me so that I could mail stuff home. Very nice.

Mukwonago, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

We stayed August 21-24. We had a ground level room because we traveled with our dog. The hotel was very pert friendly. We had two queen beds, would have preferred a king, but there were none available. The hotel was booked solid each night.
The view from our room's patio was very lovely. The patio itself was semi-private with a small wall on one end.
We found the staff to be very friendly. The rooms were very clean. The breakfast was the usual HIE scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, sausage, hash browns, and cereal etc. It was so crowded that we ate in our room. It was difficult for the staff to keep up with refilling the food, but they did the best they could.
We had terrible weather ...cold, windy and rainy. However, we still were able to enjoy the beautiful sights all around Munising. I would highly recommend Muldoon's pasties. It is just down the road a bit.
The one disappointment with the hotel is that it is not very sound proof. You can hear every little step above you and the tv's in the next rooms. But, that was very minor.

Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

When I checked into my room there were dirty towels on the floor and the bathroom had not been cleaned. I went to the desk to request a room change which I finally got however the man behind the desk was less then helpful and he made me feel as if I was bothering him. I was the hotel guest! I never saw another hotel employee after my encounter with the man behind the desk which I thought was very unusual. The room I finally stayed in was clean and well equiped. The window even opened to allow cool evening air. The pool is more of a play area, great for families. This hotel is not located convient to the town of Munising you would need to get in your car to go anywhere. I had a room in the front of the hotel I did sit on the back patio and althought the view was lovely it was not breathtaking. I do not feel that I got my money worth at this property I am glad that I did not pay the extra money for a lake view room. I loved the days spent exploring Pictured Rock National Seashore, the hikes to waterfalls and sitting on the beaches looking out onto Lake Superior.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

My husband, our two children (6 & 8), and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Munising for one night. We found our accomodations to be very comfortable. We had a room with two double beds with a balcony that overlooked Lake Superior and Picture Rocks. The room had a small cube refrigerator. microwave, and coffee maker. The hotel is very clean (and newer) and everyone was very friendly. They have a large pool with a mushroom type water feature and a large hot tub. There is a nice business center in the lobby area, a gift shop, a comfortable dining area where they serve hot and cold breakfast items (fantastic!), and a laundry room that has one washer and one dryer. We will definitely stay at this hotel again the next time we're in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Pecatonica, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

Our family of six, with four children 12 yrs. and younger enjoyed this hotel on our ten day trip through upper michigan.
The pros, A large pool with depths to satisfy the 12 to the 4 year old (incl. the hot tub).
Two bedrooms with a sleeper sofa and a television in each room (3).
Very clean, friendly staff, internet use in lobby and close to downtown with
several things to do in the area, A casino, waterfalls, water tours, a
lighthouse in Christmas, Mi, hiking, and endless beautiful areas to walk
along the shores of Lake Michigan.

Breakfast was O.K. Waffles scrambled egglike paddies, sausage and
bis/gravy, cereals, boiled eggs

The view from our third floor (w/balcony) was a picture in itself.

We stayed two nights and booked far in advance. It was the best hotel of the
five we stayed in throughout the Upper P.

Cons would be only the price of food. Thank heaven for the Hardee's or a
burger meal for all of us would have been triple. But the restaurants are very
good. Not much touristy stores of gift shops to roam through. So the town was
nothing to remember unless your a complete outdoor person which I am.

I would say if you can get the Lakeside view rooms higher up floors and you love
Lake Superior you will not be disappointed staying here. As we were leaving
we saw mini golf and if we would have gotten more info. at the tourist bldg. it
may have given us more ideas. I would return to this hotel and area!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Munising
Pictured Rocks Inn & Suites
Alger Falls Motel
Alger Falls Motel
#8 of 11 in Munising

Been to Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview? Share your experiences!