“Nice beach”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Leon
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice beach”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I had a room with a fantastic view of the ocean. (Room 11). The restaurant was a bit slow, but the food was good. I loved swimming in the ocean, but be careful because the currents were a bit strong. They did have wifi, but I had to ask for the password at the bar.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fort Worth
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I've actually stayed here in the past and was looking forward to staying again, I was completely disappointed and wished I had made reservations at Hotel Convento in Leon where we've also stayed in the past. When we made reservations, we stated 4 times and even got additional confirmation the morning of check in that we would have a room on the first floor. When we arrived, they didn't have a room on the first floor available nor did they have us register. The room smelled horrible, whatever cleaner they used in the bathroom stunk up the whole room and made our eyes water. We had to open the window and leave the door open to air out the room. But the hotel employees were hanging out directly outside our window and talking loudly when we were trying to sleep. The next day, we noticed that the soap dispenser in the bathroom didn't work and we didn't get enough towels..The housekeeper just told me the soap dispenser was clogged and she's told management to fix it but they haven't, and she left. The wait staff in the restaurant was rude, said they didn't have orange juice but another waiter brought orange juice to another a table who came in after us, the food was different than what we ordered and they charged us extra for food we didn't order. When we came back to our room later that day, it hadn't been cleaned. That night, the staff was talking loudly below our window and kids were playing outside our door at midnight, laughing and screaming. We asked the next morning why the room was not clean and the front desk said it was our fault because we didn't leave the key to the room when we left. I told her that I was not made aware that I needed too. She said I was told upon check in to when I signed the registry book. I never even signed the registry. When it was time to leave, no one was available to help us with our luggage and we were told to wait. When they finally sent someone to help, he just dragged our luggage out without being careful, hitting it against the well and pulling it hard down the stairs. We then had to wait to get the car out of the locked car park and no one would help us load the car. When I asked to speak to a manager, the staff just blew me off. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, The quality has gone completely downhill, there is no customer service and the staff is rude and not helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Rita M

Travellers are raving about these Leon hotels

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I was there for the day only and it was the most beautiful and relaxing place I have been to in awhile. Our meals were delicious and nicely served and presented. The table service for drinks on the porch was a bit lacking, but the beach view and sunset more than made up for it. If you are looking for a pretty beach place to spend an afternoon, this is it!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelak518
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This was without a doubt the worst hotel of our entire stay in Nicaragua and one of the foulest places we have ever stayed in all our travels. The room was dingy, the bathroom was filthy, and it smelled like a gas station bathroom. The only reason we stayed is that it was late and we were out of options, and we figured we could rough it for one night. I am baffled by the reviews that call this place good. I will note that we ate at the restaurant and it was fine, if not a little pricey.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank getaway28970
Eschborn, Germany
Reviewed 11 February 2012

we spent a few days there and we loved it. The beach, the hotel the food. A great place to see the sunsets and relax. The beach is awesome. Have a look at our pictures. You can wander for hours on the beach from Poneloya to the other end and then relax in the restaurant of Hotel Suyapa Beach and enjoy the view.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Roland Z
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Las Penitas is a sleepy fishing village with a few hotels and a few restaurants about 20 minutes and $10 US by taxi. It is quiet and charming. Hotel Suyapa Beach is the best accommodation and has the best restaurant. The staff were very helpful and very attentive. The lobby and rooms were very clean. There is a small pool, however you have the entire ocean! The restaurant is excellent -- 5 lobster tails for $10 US - can't beat it. Also sea bass, chicken and pasta dishes were excellent Cand the seafood soup is delicious! Continental breakfast was included, however you can order from the menu for $2-$3 extra. There's a small gift shop with mostly beach wear, bottled water and ice cream. We were there during the Xmas holidays and the restaurant was crowded at lunch time. I heard from other guests who have stayed before that it's typically very quiet during the week but that people from Leon arrived on the weekends. Either way, it was not overly crowded and could always get a table.
Be aware there is no bank and no ATM at Las Penitas. Hotel Suyapa Beach restaurant and one other (Barco de Oro) take credit cards -- others are cash only. All in all, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms have air conditioning and are quieter than the 1st floor rooms which are close t...