“Great hostel, but rooms are really hot”

Hostal La Tortuga Booluda
Ranked #2 of 63 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great hostel, but rooms are really hot”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This hostel is great and has nearly everything going for it except that the rooms get crazy hot; way hotter than the outside temperature. We stayed in two different private rooms and both had the same problem.

Fortunately rooms come with fans so it was ok but wouldn't come here if it was any hotter (writing this review in june) as don't think would get much sleep.

As mentioned this place has nearly everything else going for it. Clean rooms. Great communal area, big book exchange, free pool table, free pancakes for breakfast, and constant free coffee. Staff helpful and speak English. They had a problem with the wifi while we were there but when it was working it was good.

We stayed in a couple of different rooms. Double with private bathroom was USD$28 and double with shared bathroom was USD$20.

Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've stayed at a lot of hostels, and this place has it figured out. Quiet but social at the same time. A great place to relax and read or enjoy a beer or coffee with the other guests. Safe, clean, and secure. Friendly and helpful staff, and very convenient to central Leon.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I had been through Leon once before when there was essentially only one hostel in town. Nicaragua and Leon in particular have come a long way since then. Amongst the options in the city, La Tortuga Boluda is the best of the bunch. Great location, chill atmosphere, very clean with the nicest staff. When I come back through Leon again, I'm definitely staying here again.

Room Tip: The private rooms are outstanding but I also stayed in the dorms till a room opened up. The dorms ar...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I cannot say enough about the wonderful experience I had staying at the Tortuga Booluda. This hostel is perfect for travelers who want to have a relaxed and easy-going place to hang out at during the day and to come home to at the end of the day. It's far enough from the centre of town that it is quiet but still close enough that there is easy access to anywhere you want to go. There are instruments available for guest use, a book exchange, hammocks, a pool table and a computer with wifi at your disposal and the free locally grown coffee from Esteli (which is ridiculously good) and the make-your-own pancake station are the perfect way to start each morning. I would not hesitate to stay at the Tortuga again...let the peaceful reggae music you hear at the gate when you arrive draw you in. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: If you have the option, room 8 upstairs is where you want to be. It's great for a family or a gr...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have traveled to Leon several times and have stayed at several different hostels and La Tortuga Booluda is the place where I keep coming back to. I have been fortunate enough to experience its great changes. It is what I look for in a Hostel, great atmosphere and vibe, clean and inviting and a peaceful place to hang when you just want to stay in for awhile. It seems to attract great people as I have met many wonderful people during my visits. I have stayed in the both the dorms, the back room(private room 7) and the upstairs room with a terrace(room 8). I favor the upstairs room but would stay in any of the other rooms depending with whom I am traveling. Great coffee to start the morning and ice cold beers to end the day. Love the communal area. The extra walk from the main square is well worth the time. I will always come back to the La Tortuga and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I travel frequently...I fly over 200k miles per year for work, and always stay in nice hotels with 4-star level accommodations...so I'm a bit spoiled. I have stayed in hostels traveling with friends when I was in my 20's backpacking through Europe (I'm in my 30's now), so I know the drill, but am not used to it. I have been to Leon 3 times over the last 10 years, and it remains one of my favorite "secret" spots in Central America. What I am looking for in a place to stay (whether personal or for work), are in or of: 1. Cleanliness, 2. Security, 3. Social Atmosphere, and 4. Comfort...La Tortuga delivers on all fronts. Honestly cost is not a big issue, so hostels rarely (i.e. never) make the cut. I was in Leon with friends during my first trip and it was the only option for all of us...and I was very pleasantly surprised. I have stayed there during my last two visits to Leon, and can guarantee I will stay there during my next one. The place is clean, staff is friendly, conversation is really good while not being too loud, it's safe and very comfortable...and free pancakes every morning! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The big room above the kitchen is definitely worth it if available...can be split between friends an...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Get-Out-There-Buddy
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

La Tortuga is one of the most comfortable, cheery, homey hostels I have stayed in during many months and places of travel. Would definitely recommend if you are looking for a sweet, relaxing stay in Leon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple